New Book Shop - Blue & Yellow

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: New Book Shop - Blue & Yellow

Post by Nereus »

This place has changed hands yet again. Very amiable Italian gentleman and what I assume is his Thai wife.
He has sorted out a lot of the books and will continue to do so. Tried to sell him to advertise here, but it seems Farcebook is the leading contender just now. It was closed the last time that I was in Hua Hin, but he said it was just for 1 week during the change over.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Nereus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:47 pm This place has changed hands yet again. Very amiable Italian gentleman and what I assume is his Thai wife.
He has sorted out a lot of the books and will continue to do so. Tried to sell him to advertise here, but it seems Farcebook is the leading contender just now. It was closed the last time that I was in Hua Hin, but he said it was just for 1 week during the change over.
Why not buy a kindle and download for free, or via Amazon deals for a fraction of cost on thousands of books - I did years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done,
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

musungu wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:36 pm Why not buy a kindle and download for free, or via Amazon deals for a fraction of cost on thousands of books - I did years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done,
Because some people like books! I have a kindle, but still choose to buy some books, generally larger scale or art and other fact related books, where pics are important. Or I like the author so much that I am happy to have a collection of real books rather than just rely on my kindle.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's also something nice about the smell of book paper. The aesthetic meaning of that I'm sure is lost on most under about 50, but it's something I grew up with each and everyday while studying. Book paper is probably made odorless by now. :D :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Book paper is probably made odorless by now.
For some people it is plastic, commonly called a Kindle. Even more ridiculous; there is a very talented violin player on the Internet that I follow. She recently produced a very nice music book of some of her own arrangements.
She was understandably completely thrown when somebody asked her why she did not have it available for a Kindle! :roll:

She has made the book in such a way that each tune can be viewed completely without it being necessary to turn a page, if it is on two pages. I guess with a Kindle you could always use one foot to turn a page, because as sure as ***st you will not be able to do it with your hands!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The feel of holding a book, the smell, the weight of it, turning pages, not having to rely on technology, no batteries to die, large enough print to read comfortably, being able to give it as a gift, going to a book store to browse and discovering new authors and sometimes meeting someone and engaging in conversation.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

caller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm
musungu wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:36 pm Why not buy a kindle and download for free, or via Amazon deals for a fraction of cost on thousands of books - I did years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done,
Because some people like books! I have a kindle, but still choose to buy some books, generally larger scale or art and other fact related books, where pics are important. Or I like the author so much that I am happy to have a collection of real books rather than just rely on my kindle.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, the point is that you use a Kindle - sensible person!
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:05 pm going to a book store to browse and discovering new authors and sometimes meeting someone and engaging in conversation.
Yes, that's a big thing for me. I don't know much about book shops in Thailand apart from the one's you see in the stores, but there's what I call a proper book shop I like to visit in Emquartier at Phrom Phong BTS. Great shop with titles in English and Thai. Has a great selection of Japanese authors which I quite like.
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I love reading. It sort of keeps me sane sometimes. I have a fairly eclectic selection in my landlords cupboard in London.
I'm not having a go at you bibliophiles and god knows I'm one but I've just never found a decent selection of books at reasonable prices here in HH.
I used to buy as many as I could carry from Dasa books in BKK years ago but then I discovered a Kindle.
Sure, you can't smell the paper - I reckon all my books in London will have disintegrated after all these years and smell not too good. A shame.
So, the Kindle. Well, every now and then, I spend quite a bit of time researching new novels, reading reviews and then maybe downloading.
Over the years, I've downloaded well over 2,000 but have to purge every now and then - down to about 1,200 is OK. I think my Kindle will take about 1,600.
But all those books are saved on Calibre. That is my library.
I used to enjoy reviewing books on the forum sometimes. I keep a record and my rating of every one I've read. If I didn't have the facility of downloading and the Kindle, well...
I should do a review again because I've read some decent stuff. And also some total crap. At least I can experiment without breaking the bank and sometimes just register a DNF on my computer (did not finish).
That's it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Over the years, I've downloaded well over 2,000 but have to purge every now and then - down to about 1,200 is OK. I think my Kindle will take about 1,600.

That, to me, is one of the advantages of Kindle and all the free titles. If I could learn to enjoy the format it would be a huge savings. There are enough titles to last the rest of my life and I wouldn't have to own any more books and find a place to store them. I used to be a collector but stopped that yrs. ago. I still keep some poetry and a couple of books that I read over again but not novels.

I do like the Blue and Yellow shop for trading. I haven't been in since the new owner took over. I drove by Thurs. at 5pm and saw that they were closed is that the new closing time?
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Re: Blue & Yellow Book Shop - Update

Post by Chazz14 »

I haven't been for a long time as I felt the Blue & Yellow Book Shop had "died a death" e.g. books just thrown on the shelves = impossible to find anything...

Visited today and had a pleasant surprise. Shop now owned by an Italian guy and his Thai lady - both who spoke very good English and were obviously serious about getting the business revived...

The books are now in alphabetical order! I selected novels by Michael Connelly, Colin Dexter and Ian Rankin in about two minutes. Also, the Owner said he is in the process of cataloging his books so he knows what he has in stock...

A breath of fresh air for me as I prefer real books to their digital cousins if I can find them...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Blue & Yellow Book Shop - Update

Post by Nereus »

Chazz14 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm I haven't been for a long time as I felt the Blue & Yellow Book Shop had "died a death" e.g. books just thrown on the shelves = impossible to find anything...

Visited today and had a pleasant surprise. Shop now owned by an Italian guy and his Thai lady - both who spoke very good English and were obviously serious about getting the business revived...

The books are now in alphabetical order! I selected novels by Michael Connelly, Colin Dexter and Ian Rankin in about two minutes. Also, the Owner said he is in the process of cataloging his books so he knows what he has in stock...

A breath of fresh air for me as I prefer real books to their digital cousins if I can find them...
Yes, all posted here: by Nereus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:47 pm

This place has changed hands yet again. Very amiable Italian gentleman and what I assume is his Thai wife.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The new hours are 10 am to 5 pm. Mon. thru. Sat. When you enter, on the left set of shelves are all the new books that haven't been sorted. Also the shop is much cleaner. The shop is owned by the Thai woman who is the Italian man's wife.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

N, yes you were first with the story - I merely wanted to give the shop a plug as I like to try and promote businesses that are passionate about what they do + will hopefully be useful to other Forum members.

P.S. The Owner said he wanted to arrange some advertising - I suggested at the very least put a sign out front saying "Under New Management - Books Now In Alphabetical Order!"