Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by migrant »

Had 2 drops of rain while standing outside in Bor Fai
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nothappyjan

Post by Nothappyjan »

We had steady rain for an hour or so last night and intermittent rain this morning in Hua Hin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa - crazy Hua Hin localised weather. 2 drops in Bo Fai, 10 minutes just South of me. I talked online to a friend who lives off Soi 112, and he had a short shower. Although it didn't last too long, it was as rough as it gets where I live, just off Soi 94. I've also seen social media reports of a sudden mass exodus from Baan Khun Por.

Probably the wind was the scariest part, with my son and I having to go out to secure a lot of things blowing around outside our house. Just as we were securing the last couple of bits, down came the rain, but it wasn't just rain. We were well under cover, but it was if somebody was outside of the house with hosepipes on us. The porch to our house is raised and we've had an extra roof put on to protect our steps, which extends a further 8' out. We had to get the normally well protected dog's bedding, and seat cushions into the house. There was no hiding from the rain.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The plot thickens. Just talking to my daughter who lives on Soi 96, She had a little rain when we were being bombarded at 9. She had a similar experience to our 9pm storm at 10pm - exactly the same. She had to go outside to secure blowing debris in the very high wind, immediately followed by horizontal driving rain. We were fine by 10pm.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

migrant wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:01 am Had 2 drops of rain while standing outside in Bor Fai
Lucky you moved then mate, hasn't stopped in BS for the past three days.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Last 3-4 hours Bor Fai has been sounding like my belly after a good (or bad) chicken vindaloo! Lot's of lightning too (which I swear also happens after vindaloo but I never looked)

Clouds black as the Earl of Hell's waistcoat (to coin a phrase)

But not a drop!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nothappyjan

Post by Nothappyjan »

It has been bucketing down here in Hua Hin Central for the past 15 minutes. Very heavy rain.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Just returned home from my abandoned daily morning walk............ totally drenched. Got caught in the middle of no-where. No shelter anywhere. Gonna take an umbrella tomorrow lol.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Storms to batter the South

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -the-south

A storm warning has been issued for all southern provinces, with torrential rain forecast to pound the region until Saturday.

As other regions officially entered the cold season on Thursday, the southern part of the country was being battered by storms.

The Meteorological Department on Thursday issued a storm warning for all 14 southern provinces and Prachuap Khiri Khan in the south of the central region. Downpours could be followed by flash floods and runoff in some areas, it said.

Songkhla province was put on alert for flooding in all districts after gusting winds brought down trees in Na Mom district and heavy rain left some areas in Hat Yai municipality under water.

Surat Thani governor Witchawut Jinto gave approval for maritime officials to order boats to remain in port for the safety of passengers if the seas are too rough.

All passengers on ferry services between the mainland and islands are required to wear life jackets.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Weather Warning

"The tropical cyclone category 2 (Depression) over the Middle China Sea "
No. 4 Time Issued : October 29, 2019

At 10.00 a.m. LST on 29 October, the category 2 (depression) over the Middle China Sea or latitude 11.5 degree north, longitude 115.0 degree east. With maximum sustained winds of 55 km/hr It is moving west at a speed of 15 km/hr, expectedly to make landfall over the South of Vietnam on 30 Oct, 2019 then move to Cambodia in the next few days.

This cause is effect weather condition of Thailand in lower Northeast, lower Central, the East, and upper South. Isolated heavy to very heavy rain is likely over the areas. People should beware of the weather conditions that may cause flash floods and water runoff.......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The tropical storm as it sits now. Headed due West.

https://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemi ... scolw.html

Affected areas are as following:

30-31 October, Heavy to very Heavy Rain

Northeast: Roi Et, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin,

Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Chai Nat, Nakhon Sawan, Ang Thong,

Sing Buri, Lop Buri, and Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ranong and Phangnga.

1-2 November, Heavy Rain

Northeast: Amnat Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Ang Thong, Sing Buri, and Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Chachoengsao, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chanthaburi and Trat.

Southern: Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Now Category 4. Looks like a monster.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Jim wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 pm Now Category 4. Looks like a monster.
Really! The synoptic chart(midday)is showing maximum winds of 50 knots.
Category 4 is the second-highest hurricane classification category on the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale, and storms that are of this intensity maintain maximum sustained winds of 113–136 knots (130–156 mph, 209–251 km/h). ... Category 4 storms are considered extreme hurricanes.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Unless I was mis-reading the latest TMD page, which is always possible. I much prefer your spin :D
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The synoptic charts are not compiled by the TMD, so are much nearer the true picture than what the TMD interpretation
is.
They are calling it a Cat 4, while on the same page saying maximum wind speeds of 90 Km/hr.(51 kts)
They cannot even get the time correct! (16-00 AM!)
At 16.00 am of 30 October, the Category 4 tropical storm MATMO in the middle South China Sea was due about 130 km east of Quennon, Vietnam, or latitude 13.2 degrees north and longitude 110.4 degrees east, with maximum sustained wind of 90 km/hr. It was moving west at a speed of about 10 km/hr through the coast of central Vietnam at midnight of 30 October before covering Cambodia.
The wind gradients shown cannot produce Cat 4 winds. The cell will probably stall as it reaches the coast and dump a lot of rain. If it is moving at 10 Kms / hr as shown, then it may build up a bit more in the next 10 / 12 hours, but it will more than likely just turn into a rain bearing depression.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!