The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by migrant »

Thanks Dannie Boy!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

On the subject of 150 scooters, there is a new Honda model just out, the ADV which seems to be a more aggressively styled version of the PCX. I haven't seen one yet but will have a look when I'm out there next month.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone know any good reliable websites/online stores for aftermarket parts for big bikes in Thailand?

I realise most of Thai business is conducted on feckbook but there must be a few stores still out there. Have used k-speed.net before but they don't have much for my bike.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Try these:
https://bikerzbits.co.th
https://www.japanhobby.net

Don't know if they might have what you want though.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks, the prices on the first one are heart attack inducing, and the second doesn't have my bike!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I have had a PCX from new nearly 10 years ago, now done 40,000km, serviced by the main dealer very cheaply and it has never missed a beat! I'm hanging onto it waiting for the new electric PCX which I believe will become available here next year. I do have an imported Suzuki Burgman while only 250 cc is much nicer on longer rides but not as nippy round town.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

These Thai Honda Scooters are amazingly reliable and practical for basic transport, I've bought five of them over the last 16 years, two Waves, two PCX's and a Zoomer and they've never let me down once. They all still run, I give them to the partners family when they start to look ratty but the first one is still running about an Issan village and the Step son has one of the PCX's in Bangkok now.
PeteC

Re: Thai Driving License renewal 2019-20

Post by PeteC »

This may be the comment of the year! :lach:

...."In addition, the DLT is exploring restricting drivers licenses from those with certain medical conditions, such as being legally blind or subject to seizures, as well as diseases that could affect driving ability.".....

Transport Department clarifies “big bike” licencing rule

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transpo ... ncing-rule

The Deparment of Land Transport yesterday clarified the recently announced licencing requirement for drivers of “big bikes” ie larger more powerful motorcycles than the 110-150cc scooters normally seen on Thai streets. The definition will be bikes with engines of 400CC and up, according to the department’s deputy director-general.

Applicants for these licenses will have to be trained and tested separately from the requirements for other licenses, and provide a medical certificate showing they’re fit to be the driver the large bikes. The new requirement is expected to be enacted within 120 days as the DLT formulates the exact protocols for the testing and licensing procedures.

The new requirement is in response to what the DLT says is an increasing number of accidents involving bigger, more powerful motorbikes, especially with untrained and inexperienced drivers.

In addition, the DLT is exploring restricting drivers licenses from those with certain medical conditions, such as being legally blind or subject to seizures, as well as diseases that could affect driving ability.

Well. yeah, that’s a GOOD idea.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It sounds almost unbelievable, except it probably means that currently there are people out there driving who have these conditions - absolutely scary!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They went down this road a few years ago. The thread is still on here somewhere. If they had gone through with it then, I would have lost my licence in April last year. At that time, somebody diagnosed with diabetes had caused a serious accident I can't remember if he was also under the influence of drink or drugs at the time, but that had no relevance. They said diabetics would have their licences withdrawn.

In my opinion it's just one of those things that goes around periodically. They know if all of these blind drivers have their licences withdrawn, this is Thailand, they will simply drive without a licence. If they get stopped by police, nothing major will happen, they'll just be scammed for a bit of tea money.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:36 pm It sounds almost unbelievable, except it probably means that currently there are people out there driving who have these conditions - absolutely scary!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not surprising, I know a lady nearly blind and driving school children, of course outside of city at country side.
Others who cannot read and have a driving licence. Many with heart problems and with epilepsy.
buksida

Post by buksida »

As a biker, I welcome the big bike license, but in reality big bikes are not the problem on Thai roads, its the little ones not looking where they are going that cause most of the accidents!

I can see Honda, Kawa, and Yamaha launching some new 390cc models soon ... :mrgreen:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:01 am As a biker, I welcome the big bike license, but in reality big bikes are not the problem on Thai roads,
I don't ride a bike, but my observations whilst driving support your observation 100%.

Problem, as I said before, some will just not bother getting a licence.

In my close family we have 6 bike riders - they are all decent riders by Thai standards. 3 can't be arsed to get a licence. I often nag them about it, but as usual, who will enforce it?

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:16 am 3 can't be arsed to get a licence. I often nag them about it, but as usual, who will enforce it?
I'm sure the police in Hua Hin will see the opportunity for extra cash. :mrgreen:

Elsewhere very unlikely, outside of Hua Hin I've never been asked for my license while on the big bike.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, anybody who gets caught at an official road block here is stupid. Revenue collection points are always set up near a u-turn. If you don't want to pay, simply do a u-turn. The unofficial checks are a bit smarter on narrow back roads, but many use them because they are hiding from something, so its a fair cop.

Points 48; Position 20