Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: China Coronavirus

Post by HHTel »

I've been following the news since it's outset. Until I'm proven wrong, I still believe that hysteria has taken over from common sense. The containment in China appears effective and although the virus transmits easier that SARS, the symptoms and death rate (at least as far as we know) are nowhere near SARS and MERS. 'Flu kills hundreds of thousands every year and in comparison, 'Wuflu' (except in Hubei) is hardly a threat.

In the US, 14 children have died from 'flu in just the last week and hospitalisations and deaths are on the rise in the UK in spite of there being a vaccine.

I'll not worry too much just yet.

We'll see!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:I've been following the news since it's outset. Until I'm proven wrong, I still believe that hysteria has taken over from common sense. The containment in China appears effective and although the virus transmits easier that SARS, the symptoms and death rate (at least as far as we know) are nowhere near SARS and MERS. 'Flu kills hundreds of thousands every year and in comparison, 'Wuflu' (except in Hubei) is hardly a threat.

In the US, 14 children have died from 'flu in just the last week and hospitalisations and deaths are on the rise in the UK in spite of there being a vaccine.

I'll not worry too much just yet.

We'll see!
So my UK flu vaccine can't even stop UK flu never mind WuFlu! Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The 'flu jab is being ignored in many cases. I recommend making sure you have the vaccine. The problem is that many people are not.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:The 'flu jab is being ignored in many cases. I recommend making sure you have the vaccine. The problem is that many people are not.
Sorry, please clarify. You mean the UK flu vaccine? I had that 4 months ago in UK

To be honest my post was just a flippant remark.

But are you suggesting there is actually some merit in having had that versus Coronavirus?!

Or am I misunderstanding your last post?

Thanks

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading. The 'flu vaccine protects you from 'flu, not WuFlu.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading. The 'flu vaccine protects you from 'flu, not WuFlu.
As I thought, thanks for clarifying.

nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Quieter Response to Coronavirus in Countries Where China Holds Sway

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/worl ... iland.html

... And in Cambodia, Prime Minister Hun Sen told a packed news conference on Thursday that he would kick out anyone who was wearing a surgical mask because such measures were creating an unwarranted climate of fear.
“The prime minister doesn’t wear a mask,” he said, “so why do you?”
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Better rich than dead so the guy at the top speaks for the poor.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've got a mouthful of peppercorns, a string of onions around my neck for snacks. I'm relaxing and working my socks off. So I should be okay! :lach:

I do however, agree with the over zealousness of wearing masks. It does raise unnecessary fear/hysteria.

Unless you're carrying a disease or are a health worker, then wearing a mask is unnecessary. The paper ones that most are wearing does not protect you but protects others from you and these should be treated as single use.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:14 pm Unless you're carrying a disease or are a health worker, then wearing a mask is unnecessary. The paper ones that most are wearing does not protect you but protects others from you and these should be treated as single use.
That was advice I believed initially, but as it became clearer how the virus can be passed on, yes, you are correct when you say the paper mask, "Protects others from you and these should be treated as single use." However, the virus leaves the host attached on globules resulting from a sneeze or a cough. If these globules are inhaled through nose or mouth, then the virus has a new host. The paper mask will prevent such inhalation. I believe there is benefit in wearing of masks.

I mentioned a few days ago that I was in Market Village, and it was amazing how many people were coughing or sneezing not only without a mask, but without covering their mouth.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:
HHTel wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:14 pm Unless you're carrying a disease or are a health worker, then wearing a mask is unnecessary. The paper ones that most are wearing does not protect you but protects others from you and these should be treated as single use.
That was advice I believed initially, but as it became clearer how the virus can be passed on, yes, you are correct when you say the paper mask, "Protects others from you and these should be treated as single use." However, the virus leaves the host attached on globules resulting from a sneeze or a cough. If these globules are inhaled through nose or mouth, then the virus has a new host. The paper mask will prevent such inhalation. I believe there is benefit in wearing of masks.

I mentioned a few days ago that I was in Market Village, and it was amazing how many people were coughing or sneezing not only without a mask, but without covering their mouth.
Yes and it's not surprising that people feel Thailand is the country most at risk.

At the very root of the road death issue is the fact the Thai people do not have any sense of fear. And so they drive(and ride) with reckless abandon and the consequences of that are plain to see.

The very same problem exists with this virus. The Thai people have grown up all their lives sneezing 'publicly' in a violent and loud manner and without the slightest care for any other person. Almost in an attention seeking way. That is hardly going to change is it?

Last night I was in a bar and a bar girl did the usual ear piercing 'everybody pay attention to me' sneeze and she thought it was hilarious!

I gave her a long humourless stare that suggested it was not in the least bit funny in the current climate before I then realised I was completely wasting my time!

And to think that when I posted about this sneezing issue a week ago the moderator removed it on the grounds that it was "nonsense"!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I understand your logic, BB. However, consider this:

An infected droplet is filtered on your mask. The water content is either absorbed or evaporated. That will still leave the virus on your mask and very much alive making your mask an object of infection. Breathing through that infected mask, which is in close proximity to your mouth and nose, will introduce the virus into your body anyway.

Masks are recommended in close knit cities like WuHan where the infection is rife, not to protect oneself but to reduce the risk of passing it on.

In Thailand, were I believe there are only 10 infected people being treated, (the others have recovered and discharged) the risk is so low as to make the mask unnecessary. The N95 (and similar) can give limited protection but have to be fitted correctly which means a complete seal around your nose and mouth. Not only are they uncomfortable and hot, breathing is laboured and impractical to wear for long periods. Medical staff working in isolation units have said that they need to leave the unit regularly and take off the mask to allow normal breathing.

All in all, the WHO, CDC, NHS along with a multitude of medical sites recommend against the wearing of surgical (paper) masks.

I will subscribe to the notion that a surgical mask will not give you any protection and could actually increase the risk. The mask will become moist from use and that gives a perfect breeding ground for any virus.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Cocktail of flu, HIV drugs appears to help fight coronavirus: Thai doctors

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-flu ... 53996.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:36 pm I understand your logic, BB. However, consider this:

An infected droplet is filtered on your mask. The water content is either absorbed or evaporated. That will still leave the virus on your mask and very much alive making your mask an object of infection. Breathing through that infected mask, which is in close proximity to your mouth and nose, will introduce the virus into your body anyway.
Of course, and this was the point being made in PeteC's post about International Schools. It depends how long you will be wearing that mask, and also what you do with it when you take it off. When I go to Market Village these days, I'm out within 15 minutes, I feel it will provide adequate protection.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

hhfarang wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:56 pm Cocktail of flu, HIV drugs appears to help fight coronavirus: Thai doctors

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-flu ... 53996.html
It's good that drugs are being found effective on treating WuFlu symptoms. There are similar stories from other countries. It is said that, of course, it's not a cure. But any effective treatment has to be a plus.

Does anyone know to what extent SARS affected Thailand? I was here from the beginning to the end of SARS but I don't remember any major public reaction as there is with WuFlu.

Note: It has been said by various medical sources that most people will recover without treatment, some not even showing any symptoms or only very mild ones.