Marriage Visa bank account type

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Blot
Amateur
Amateur

Marriage Visa bank account type

Post by Blot »

I have had a Non O Visa for the last 7 years but this year I intend to apply for a Marriage Visa. I understand that I must deposit 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account however, my question is: Can I deposit the money in an account where I get interest or must it be in a "current type" account. My plan is to deposit the 400,000 Baht next moth and just leave it there for years to come.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Marriage Visa

Post by HHTel »

No you can deposit it in a fixed interest account. You can even put it into a foreign currency account as long as it converts to 400,000.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Marriage Visa bank account type

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I'm not sure everything on there is always 100% accurate but over in "the other place," there are a number of posts stating that all kinds of accounts are OK, including fixed term accounts, but only if they allow for immediate access. So according to that info, it couldn't be for instance, a fixed term deposit account that doesn't allow you to withdraw the money before the end of the term or requires you to give advanced notice of withdrawal.

As I understand it, there are plenty of fixed term accounts that allow for immediate access, albeit with either an early withdrawal fee or a loss of interest.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Also, it can't be a joint acct.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As I understand it, there are plenty of fixed term accounts that allow for immediate access, albeit with either an early withdrawal fee or a loss of interest.
I assume that most 'fixed term deposit' accounts allow access albeit that you lose interest.

However, the bank letter states that the funds have been in the account for the required time. It doesn't state whether it's a fixed term account or not. Immigration are not going to know what kind of account it is.

Letter from the bank ok ?.........check.
Letter agrees with passbook ?....check.

"See you next year sir."