Photo Size

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Photo Size

Post by Ratsima »

It might be worthwhile to track the number of photos uploaded after the change to see if upping the size limit has encouraged more people to post. If not then one might conclude that the inconvenience of having to resize continues to be a deterrent.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

buksida wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 am Not really - there are hundreds of pieces of software that will batch resize photos in a few seconds with the click of a button.
I think we have to agree to disagree. I know there are many ways to resize an image but honestly, it takes a lot more time than just one click. Especially in these days when I guess many members use their phones or similar devices that aren't traditional computers. For me, using a phone to post text is in itself a hassle, and trying to resize pictures on a device without a real keyboard won't just happen.
buksida wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 amAs mentioned above the forum software is limited with no built in function to do it so they can't allow uploading 10Mb raw images from phones and cameras as the server space, which is limited to begin with and has associated costs, will be full in no time.
I understand the reasons behind limiting image size but still think that these days this is an unusual limitation. If it's too complicated to implement a server-side resize mechanism I have to accept that. However, I still think this limitation makes many members refrain from posting pictures that otherwise would have been interesting contributions to the forum.

And when it comes to storage cost. Today you can get a 4TB disc for around 100 USD. Such a disc could store around 50 000 big photos. How many photos are uploaded in total today? Of course, that's not the whole truth since there's increased cost for example back up but I still think that removing the need for members to manually resize their pictures would be beneficial for the community.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I pay my web host US$50.00 per year for 100GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth. That's enough to store thousands of photos. The average size of a photo taken by my iPhone Xr is about 3MB.

I don't know how much TierPoint charges, but it can't be a lot more than that.

As I mentioned before, one of the reasons sites like FB and IG are so popular is because it's so easy to upload photos. No resizing or switching software required. Just choose and upload.

If you want eyes on your ads ($$$$) you need to make this as simple as possible. I believe the current arrangement is false economy.