What is Happening to the Horses?

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Big Boy

What is Happening to the Horses?

Post by Big Boy »

For a few days now, Mrs BB has been pointing at the TV News and saying another horse has died. Reason for death, I can't really make out, but some of the horses have been cattle as well when they come into good shot on the TV. All that I get is something has bitten them.

In the beginning I thought it was a bogeyman story to scare Thais into staying home during Covid. After all, if it can take down a horse or a cow, what might it do to a human?

I'm told 14 horses have died today, making it 150. I look at the TV and they are showing stables with huge blue mossie nets draped over them, and individual horses within their own blue net. A quick check......... Apr 1 has passed.

Can anybody enlighten me please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Re: What is Happening to the Horses?

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The sudden deaths of dozens of racehorses in Thailand's Northeast are now believed to be tied to an African horse virus. All of the dead animals, whose count now stands at 42, were found during an inspection of barns in Pak Chong district in Nakhon Ratchasima, north eastern Thailand.

https://thethaiger.com/news/north-east/ ... -northeast
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This AHV was reported some time ago. It's the first time the virus has hit Thailand. I think Korat was the first to be hit. It's carried by gnats.

I think it's been mainly overshadowed by corona virus.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you very much guys - makes sense now.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, we also have African swine fever which has not made it to Thailand yet so they say, although it is in all surrounding countries. China has had to cull hundreds of thousands of pigs.

What's the common denominator in all of this?...China. Technicians by the thousands to Africa for their "Belt and Road" projects and then all of a sudden African animal diseases enter the region here.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:30 pm What's the common denominator in all of this?...China.
The Chinese government has a lot to answer for indeed, however many of our family members (mainly the elder generation) in China - who are certainly not alone in their opinions - cannot/will not accept any wrongdoing by their "illustrious leaders". Something that the LHG (or I) can discuss with them - many accuse myself or "The West" of poisoning the LHG's mind (against China). Can certainly be difficult at times unfortunately :(
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.