Expats weigh up pros and cons of living in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Expats weigh up pros and cons of living in Thailand

Post by buksida »

For a good number of years, Thailand was a favourite low-cost destination for expat retirees and those fascinated by Asian history and culture.

Even before the pandemic caused chaos across the world, life in Thailand for Westerners was becoming more difficult, with the ever-strengthening baht, visa issues and an increasing cost of living causing many retirees to relocate to nearby states or even repatriate to the home country. Since the beginning of 2020, almost the entire world seems to be caught up in a panic not seen for centuries, leaving expats in a dilemma as to how to cope best with their totally changed lifestyles.

Even Thailand’s laid-back way of life seems almost unrecognisable nowadays, with expat communities fragmented as regards which new rules to follow and which to disregard. Local online expat forums mirror the confusion, and the group meetings which supported the foreign community are a thing of the past, at least for now.

Isolation in one’s country of birth is one thing, but being forced to be alone in a very foreign land is another, especially as prejudice against incomers seems to be supported by the country’ s ruling military junta. As a result, many long-term expat residents are weighing up the pros and cons of staying against leaving, with a good number feeling they’re no longer welcome in the land they called home.

https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2020070 ... from-home-

Should generate a good discussion ... give us your pros and cons ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Expats weigh up pros and cons of living in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

Mine is a no brainer. All of my close family are living here in Thailand. If I moved back to my country of birth, I would be alone.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Well, we are committed
house build was started late december 2019
70 % completed and finished mid late august
just need to be able to get there, end august, early sept,
can only live in hope..
buksida

Post by buksida »

These are not really 'pros and cons' ... more 'reasons why you are here'.

Edit: dross and attempts to derail this thread will be deleted. Can we have a sensible discussion for once?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My daughter is too far along with her education in an international school she started at age 2 1/2. 3 more years to go until she finishes with her IB courses, then she is gone to another land and another life. When that time comes those of us she leaves behind here need to make a decision. So in a nutshell, the daughter is the priority and Mom & Dad secondary for now. :laugh:

So the Pro is a good uninterrupted education for her, the Con for now is we put up with the other government nonsense the best we can.

Note: I think the author needs to differentiate between foreign expat family/couple and an expat with a Thai family. There is a big difference in the ability to cope and there is indeed a buffer in the form of the Thai spouse who usually wades through all the nonsense in order to make life here for the family as enjoyable as possible. I really have few complaints except the traditional one I've had for decades about Thai thinking and logic. That isn't going to change regardless of the type of government in power.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 am My daughter is too far along with her education in an international school she started at age 2 1/2. 3 more years to go until she finishes with her IB courses, then she is gone to another land and another life. When that time comes those of us she leaves behind here need to make a decision. So in a nutshell, the daughter is the priority and Mom & Dad secondary for now. :laugh:

So the Pro is a good uninterrupted education for her...
Much respect, Pete. Sounds like you're raising her right. Boils my blood seeing (Western) parents, unequipped to raise a child, dump their kids in anything but International with an "I can't afford... Blah blah blah". Basically saying they can't afford an education for their child. Yet still had one. Or three. :cuss:

:offtopic:

Pros for me in Thailand were the weather and people. This is solely in comparison to the UK though where both the weather and people are mostly bottom barrel stuff. I'm sure other countries could accommodate for better weather and people, too. The Thai folk though... Just lovely people. Also enjoyed the nightlife, pool leagues and the like.

Cons for me would be the visa hassles. The 90 day rubbish. Also the rubbish rubbish. Thailand is one filthy country, unfortunately. Cost of decent hospital care. Stray doggies. Noise. Noise of all sorts.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I’ve only lived here for a little over eight months, so I haven’t been exposed to everything that entails living here full time as an expat. Prior to retiring and moving here last October, I had been coming regularly since 2000, so I can draw on all of these experiences to say what my pros and cons are. A lot has changed since 2000, but the things that draw me, and conversely, repel me, have stayed the same:

Pros: The weather (and I’m a pluviophile, so rainy season is a plus!)
The food. I’ve loved Thai food with a passion since my first spoonful in ‘89. The freshness, diversity, and affordability here only add to my happiness.
The people, culture, and language. The people are, for the most part, caring, friendly, and accepting. As a Thai language student, I can say that the language is fascinating, intricate, and fun to learn.
Beaches and other natural scenery: no need to explain.
This list could go a lot longer, but these are the basics.

Cons: Echoing what has already been said: trash. Too much of it. I think people are definitely becoming more conscientious about it, but there is a long way to go.
The proliferation of dogs and monkeys: the efforts to curb their breeding is underwhelming.
There are other petty day-to-day annoyances, but I don’t think they are unique to Thailand. I love living here. My monthly pension and savings make a comfortable living here quite sustainable, so there is no worrying about what the economy is doing. I have no intention of leaving anytime soon.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have no intention of leaving anytime soon.
The authorities could over rule you on that one. Only joking..... sort of!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:32 pm
I have no intention of leaving anytime soon.
The authorities could over rule you on that one. Only joking..... sort of!
Yeah, no kidding! Well, I’m definitely not gonna be a scofflaw; become one of those 10,000 day overstayers. I guess I would have to think about Vietnam or the PI. But that’s life. I love it here for the time being.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

There's one pro for me: I can afford to live here with my Thai wife.
Even as a single person,I would be hard pressed to live a comfortable life in the US and in the present situation, I wouldn't go back if I could.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

buksida wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 am These are not really 'pros and cons' ... more 'reasons why you are here'.
I think the above is quite true. Or perhaps, how I ended up here instead of somewhere else..
Working with an aviation company from 1976, I had been exposed to many different cultures who also worked in the same company. Indian, Thai, Philipino - and got to know their families as well as these were long term employees who brought them over. The one thing to note is that they all had a certain education level and work ethic to work in the particular industry so I was exposed to that.
Anyway..
I ended up meeting a nice Thai ATC on course here and eventually left the job and moved to Thailand in 1988. Slowly learned how to read and write (I could already speak by then) and when my first son came along, had a good long think about his future.
Both kids were sent to a good kindergarten, and then to a private Catholic school where the level of education is of a high standard. They were both put through the English program (at that time only in certain select schools) and I was quite happy with the standard of the teachers.
They were also sent to the US as exchange students, and visited my parents and their uncles and aunts abroad fairly often.
I think this gave them a good all round perspective of the world in general.

I find that I am more content to juggle with the hoops that need to be jumped through here in Thailand than I would be in my home country; permanent residence status does help. As does a deeper understanding of both the language and culture.
My kids have a good head start in that they have a broader view of the world and speak at least three languages. They can make up their own minds where they want to go to next.
I'm happy with my lot here; food is good and reasonably priced, the Thais have a fairly tolerant culture and basic hygiene happens to be part of that.The house is paid for, the kids will eventually inherit it one day.
Been here more than 30 years, have yet to think about leaving..
วินเชนท์