Soi 88 Railway Crossing Closure

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Soi 88 Railway Crossing Closure

Post by Big Boy »

Looking at this photo posted by Surf FM, it looks as though the much anticipated closure of the railway crossing at Soi 88 has happened. I think a few months of delays/confusion ahead.
109737714_1201517906860812_3005292629181784661_o.jpg
(223.25 KiB) Downloaded 1501 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Soi 88 Railway Crossing Closure

Post by HHTel »

I went through that crossing at around 10am today and back again at 11am. I saw the bollards being delivered. Wondered what they were for. Now it's clear.
The overhead rail is now at that crossing so it'll remain closed, I guess until the next span is completed.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Has the goobernmnt figured out where they are going to get the trains or are they just laying track and hoping it won't be a highway to nowhere?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

All they are doing is expanding a single rail system to a dual rail system. What has that to do with extra rolling stock? It will hopefully cut the times from point to point.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm All they are doing is expanding a single rail system to a dual rail system. What has that to do with extra rolling stock? It will hopefully cut the times from point to point.
Are the preparations for the high speed line linked to this? Has that even started yet, and will it run along the same right of way?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

No, I don't think the 30 meter right of way is wide enough to also accommodate the high speed track. Also reports in the past have had the high speed 1st phase stopping out near the airport.

It would be interesting to see what the current plans are.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

PeteC wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm All they are doing is expanding a single rail system to a dual rail system. What has that to do with extra rolling stock? It will hopefully cut the times from point to point.
Are the preparations for the high speed line linked to this? Has that even started yet, and will it run along the same right of way?
There are no 'preparations for the high speed line'. It's still in the 'proposal stage'. A further study is required which could take another 18 months.
If you're young enough, you may just survive long enough to see the project approved. High speed trains to Hua Hin are not coming any time soon.

The project underway is for dual line rail, period. It has nothing to do with any future proposal for High Speed rail.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Has anybody driven the crossing route since the (semi???) closure? Is there still a way through. If so, is it both directions?

When I say driven, I mean in a 4 wheeled vehicle. Nothing will stop motorcycle madness.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter drove through last night with 4 wheels. She said that there is a two way channel for both cars and bikes on the south side of the crossing. Whether that will continue is anyone's guess.
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

Came through 30 minutes ago. Half of the crossing is closed. Cars and bikes passing through. Be patient. Unsure if you can turn right after crossing from east to west. May have to go straight along soi 88 and take next turn right down the hardware street.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks guys. I'm off to Tesco soon, so will give it a go on the way home. If I think it will help others, I'll post dashcam footage.

Points 48; Position 20
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

Walked through ten minutes ago. all turns possible.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, thanks to the advice above, I came home via the Soi 88 railway junction, and apart from a few fight of way issues, which were very Thai anyway, there was absolutely no problem.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:Well, thanks to the advice above, I came home via the Soi 88 railway junction, and apart from a few fight of way issues, which were very Thai anyway, there was absolutely no problem.

Yeah looks better now. I went through at 4pm Tues and it was pretty chaotic.

Off topic... Interestingly the video stops at Nanys. Is that because you nipped in for a quick sausage roll?! Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Innovative Thais :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

For anybody travelling East down Soi 88, after crossing the railway track, there is no right turn. At least, that is what I thought until yesterday. I have now encountered the same manoeuvre twice in 2 days. The East/West carriageways are clearly defined with cones. Of course, there are no cones where the trains cross. Eastbound cars are getting to where the trains cross and switching carriageways, giving Westbound cars 2 options, stop or crash.

I'm blaming Thai driving, but it could as easily be clever dick Farangs enhancing their Thai driving skills. Whatever, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Points 48; Position 20