The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:26 am It's also been at least 30 years since I've watched one - my opinion could well have changed, although I suspect the need for copious amounts of alcohol will remain.
We haven't managed to meet yet, but somehow I don't see that need as a major problem! :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:20 am I haven't seen any Bill and Ted films, but I've always had the impression I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a spoon... have I been mistaken all these years? (I'm hard to please when it comes to comedies - no sense of humour probably... :cry: )
If I'm honest, if you haven't seen the first ones yet you m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶l̶y̶ will definitely hate this new one. As a stand alone film it's great mindless fun but, for me, it's the revisiting of the Bill and Teds I remember from childhood that added the extra spark.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:43 am
pharvey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:26 am It's also been at least 30 years since I've watched one - my opinion could well have changed, although I suspect the need for copious amounts of alcohol will remain.
We haven't managed to meet yet, but somehow I don't see that need as a major problem! :laugh: :cheers:
With, or without, a movie I imagine :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I'm sure it will have been mentioned before, but just re-watched a bit of an oldie from the early "noughties" starring 007 himself - Daniel Craig. One I really enjoyed and would highly recommend. Based around the drug/gangster world of London with the lead character wanting to leave the "business" but having to do a few jobs to get out... Well worth the watch.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:57 amWith, or without, a movie I imagine :cheers:
In all likelihood I resemble that remark.... but only on occasions I might add :oops:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:52 pm I'm sure it will have been mentioned before, but just re-watched a bit of an oldie from the early "noughties" starring 007 himself - Daniel Craig. One I really enjoyed and would highly recommend. Based around the drug/gangster world of London with the lead character wanting to leave the "business" but having to do a few jobs to get out... Well worth the watch.

Title of movie? :D

Layer cake?

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Yes, Layer Cake. Well worth a looksee.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42 am Title of movie? :D

Layer cake?

Tired, confused, Welsh tw@t - yes title would have helped! Just act as if it was a quiz!! sateeb takes it :thumb:

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:18 pm
Lost wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42 am Title of movie? :D

Layer cake?

Tired, confused, Welsh tw@t - yes title would have helped! Just act as if it was a quiz!! sateeb takes it :thumb:

:lach:

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Hubie Halloween

If you've got younger members about the house they'll definitely like this one. The dialogue is geared towards a 9 year old. I enjoyed it. 8)

Adam Sandler puts on his dumb voice again (think waterboy, little nicky) to play the town's laughing stock. He goes out investigating Halloween disturbances. Nuff said

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 pm Again a Bong Joon-ho film. Can't seem to go wrong with this director.
Agreed*. After seeing The Host, I've watched all the feature length films he's directed that I could find. Okja turned out to be far better than I expected. As one reviewer put it "Pitch-black satire, heartwarming devotion, over-the-top performance, and subtle drama are engineered into something decidedly (if improbably) delicious. "

*except for Parasite
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:12 pm
Lost wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 pm Again a Bong Joon-ho film. Can't seem to go wrong with this director.
Agreed*. After seeing The Host, I've watched all the feature length films he's directed that I could find. Okja turned out to be far better than I expected. As one reviewer put it "Pitch-black satire, heartwarming devotion, over-the-top performance, and subtle drama are engineered into something decidedly (if improbably) delicious. "

*except for Parasite
You didn't like Parasite? I really enjoyed that. A lot. I agree Okja was good, I think that was the first film I saw from this director. Will get round to all his others at some point. Do you have a favourite from him?

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:51 pm You didn't like Parasite? I really enjoyed that. A lot. I agree Okja was good, I think that was the first film I saw from this director. Will get round to all his others at some point. Do you have a favourite from him?
The Host is my favorite, with Okja in second place. After that is is Memories of Murder. It's based on a true story. Joon-ho Bong's treatment of the police investigation crafted suspense from a mix of social satire, government incompetence, dark humor, light humor, heavy drama, and the unexpected.

No spoiler alert needed for the trailer.

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

sateeb wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:13 am Yes, Layer Cake. Well worth a looksee.
:agree:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

A topical movie recommendation for some light viewing. Been out a fair few years now. I think it's great! :D

The Campaign