Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by huahin4ever »

lomuamart wrote:I don't think that's right, caller.

Those on retirement extensions from an original OA visa can return - subject to all the quarantine etc rules.

Those on retirement extensions from an original O visa cannot return.

That's my understanding. I hope that maybe I'm wrong.
I have an O extension based on marriage. I renewed it in March this year and it is valid until 3 April 2021. It is a multiple entry. I'm currently overseas working and have been so since June. Will this visa be valid or are all visas void now and all foreigners under the valid categories which can return, need to apply for new visas before being allowed to go back?

YNWA

YNWA
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My understanding is that those who have annual extensions based on marriage to a Thai can return - subject to the normal quarantine and paperwork.

Your visa/extension/re-entry permit will still be valid according to the date of their expiries.

In some ways, you're lucky as many have been stuck abroad on annual extensions and have seen them expire. They've got to start again with another visa. Good luck with that.

If you've got the chance, get back here whilst your paperwork is in order. Unfortunately, you'll have to go through all the crap as well.
Virmand
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Virmand »

Lomuamart is correct. Non-O holders without Thai family cannot return at this time even if they have valid visa and re-entry permit.
Only option for now is to re-apply for a Non-O-A visa, and to do that requires a long list of supporting documents.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Happy to be corrected but its my understanding that those on retirement visas aren't yet allowed back, but will be included in the next group of foreigners to be allowed in. If that is the case (and I haven't double checked), then the best thing to do would be to check with whoever issued the visa - I-O (?) Is mentioned - to check on its validity.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

lomuamart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 pm In some ways, you're lucky as many have been stuck abroad on annual extensions and have seen them expire. They've got to start again with another visa. Good luck with that.
In my experience, it is exactly the same paperwork required with getting a new non-O marriage visa to getting one extended here. The only difference is you'll only get 3 months on a new one whereas the extension gives you 11 plus the month they send it to Bangkok so it is at least two trips to immigration.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Immigration Bureau reminds foreigners to apply for visa extension before Oct 31
The Immigration Bureau on Tuesday reminded foreigners whose visas are expiring to submit their applications for extension of temporary stay before October 31.

Late applicants will be dealt with as prescribed by the law, the bureau said. Applications for visa extension can be submitted at each local immigration office. Terms and conditions are as specified by the Immigration Bureau. Each permission will initially be granted for up to 60 days for all visa types, effective from November 1.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396860
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's the poster:
122496335_10157543983782050_4733385269494137430_n.jpg
122496335_10157543983782050_4733385269494137430_n.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Toy

Expired visa extension in quarrantine

Post by Toy »

I'm on my way to Thailand. I have 1 year extention for visas. My problem is that I am quarantined when the extension expires, and can only come to immigration 6 days after it has expired, will it still be possible to renew the extension 1 week after it expires?
PeteC

Re: Expired visa extension in quarrantine

Post by PeteC »

Toy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 am I'm on my way to Thailand. I have 1 year extension for visas. My problem is that I am quarantined when the extension expires, and can only come to immigration 6 days after it has expired, will it still be possible to renew the extension 1 week after it expires?
I think the basic question is if anyone on here has ever been late when applying for a 1 year retirement extension to their O or OA visa, and what happened?

There are extenuating circumstances, identical to people who are in hospital when their extension comes due. I know that in those cases a letter from the hospital that you were admitted and could not leave the hospital has worked. I don't know if it has worked in every circumstance and with every immigration office.

There is/was at least one hospital in Thailand (Bangkok Hospital-Pattaya) that had an immigration desk in the lobby expressly for that purpose, and for other things involving foreign patients staying at the hospital.

I would think that being quarantined would be a reason immigration would accept accompanied by a letter from some medical official that you were quarantined and couldn't leave for the 14 days. That's my opinion but only an opinion, nothing official.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Toy

Post by Toy »

Ok I give it a try. Thanks
buksida

Post by buksida »

Freer visa rules to cabinet
The Interior Ministry will seek cabinet approval for a proposal to extend visa exemption for foreign tourists from 56 countries from 30 to 45 days in a bid to attract more tourist arrivals to revive the economy battered by Covid-19.

Tanee Sangrat, spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Ministry, on Wednesday said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had instructed the ministry recently to expedite the relaxation of restrictions on foreigners entering Thailand.

The ministry raised the matter at a meeting on Monday of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration's (CCSA) panel on the easing of Covid-19 restrictions, Mr Tanee said.

It was agreed at the meeting that visa exemptions will be granted to foreign tourists from three groups of countries. The first group comprises 56 countries and territories which are allowed under a visa exemption scheme to stay for 30 days, he said.

The second group comprises six countries and territories which have bilateral agreements with Thailand to stay for no more 30 days. They are Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Russia and Vietnam.

The third group comprises four countries -- Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru -- which have bilateral agreements with Thailand and are allowed to stay for no more than 90 days.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... to-cabinet
buksida

Post by buksida »

New Smart Visa rules in the works for digital nomads in Thailand
Digital nomads in Thailand might soon be able to apply for the Smart Visa, allowing an up to 4 years stay without a work permit. The Board of Investment, or BOI, is proposing changes to the visa requirements to allow foreign freelancers to apply for the Smart Visa. The rules have already been approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. The next step is Cabinet approval.

It’s really good news for foreign freelancers who have needed to get creative when it comes to legally staying in the country. Before the pandemic, many did border runs every few months, going from tourist visa to tourist visa. Now that borders are closed, some are on tourist visas that have been extended in the country due to the pandemic. Others are on volunteer visas. Some have even paid thousands of baht and signed up for classes just to get on an education visa to stay in the country.

Under the proposal by the BOI, those currently in Thailand on a tourist visa would be able to transfer to a Smart Visa. To apply for the visa, applicants need to have an employment contract with a foreign firm for at least 6 months as well as proof of qualifications and experience.

BOI deputy secretary general Narit Therdsteerasukdi says opening the Smart Visa to foreign freelancers will draw in more talent from overseas.

“The influx of talent will create a talent pool in the country.”

The Smart Visa was launched in February 2018 and was “designed to enhance Thailand’s attractiveness in drawing science and technology experts, senior executives, investors and startups.” Since then, only 514 foreigners have been granted the Smart Visa.

Along with allowing foreign freelancers to apply, the BOI also wants to loosen requirements to allow more executives, investors and startup entrepreneurs as well as science and technology experts to apply.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/ne ... n-thailand
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Tourists in Thailand can apply for another 60 day extension, allowing a stay until July 27

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/__trashed-5

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/03/31/r ... -may-29th/ (Immigration order)

Thailand’s Immigration Bureau is allowing visa extensions for tourists who have been in stuck in Thailand since 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The Royal Thai Immigration Bureau announced the news through an urgent public memo yesterday.

The previous extension allowed those tourists to stay until the end of March, but now they can apply for another extension until May 29. The new extension lasts for 60 days, which would allow people to stay until July 27.

Thai Immigration says the application will need to be completed in person at an immigration office, with additional requirements and documents being needed depending on where one is from. The new visa extension’s cost is 1,900 baht. The extension will allow those who are “stuck” or who wish to stay longer in Thailand to get the extension. Authorities say the extensions will also help Thailand’s economy, which was void of tourists since the pandemic began...... (Continues on about the Phuket opening plan)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A good question at this point in time is if we'll see another moratorium on extensions/90 day/visiting immigration offices? I wouldn't be surprised if we do given the ever increasing maximum control zones.

Actually, I'm surprised they haven't implemented it already seeing that the situation now is much worse than it was when they relaxed the requirements during the previous wave.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand extends ‘special tourist visa’ scheme for one more year
The Thai Cabinet has approved a one-year extension of the ‘special tourist visa’ (STV) scheme for long-staying visitors until 30 September, 2022. The programme has been in effect from 30 September, last year, and was originally due to end tomorrow.

The Cabinet’s approval of the STV scheme as proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports entailed special permission for long-stay visitors to Thailand of all types – from tourists to business travellers, investors and others – and tourists and crews of foreign cruises and yachts.

In the official statement released yesterday (28 September, 2021), Deputy Government Spokesperson, Ms. Traisuree Taisaranakul, said the extension of the STV scheme is aimed to encourage foreign families with high-purchasing power to visit Thailand for a long-term stay of between 90-270 days.

According to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, over the first year, Thailand welcomed a total of 5,609 long-staying visitors under the STV scheme generating at least 1,243 million Baht in revenue. Top source markets have included China, Croatia, Denmark, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Singapore, and Spain.

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/09/thailan ... more-year/