Thai Chana app

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by Ralfredo »

handdrummer wrote:Last week I was Muff Diver
Aha, they accept that you write your hobbies? :-)

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ralfredo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 pm
I've dived in Muff, although being in Northern Ireland it's a tad cool this time of year.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

pharvey wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:09 am
Ralfredo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:48 pm
I've dived in Muff, although being in Northern Ireland it's a tad cool this time of year.....
[/quote)

They accept whatever you write. It's not they really care.

Cold weather muff diving is very comforting. And just to stay on topic and not bring the wrath of the gods down upon us: using your smart phone, you can find excellent muffs online.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

buksida wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:28 pm Entry is not that strictly enforced, you just put a name on the paper and write a phone number there, no need to scan anything. I did it three times yesterday - I won't let any Thai govt app near my phone.

Have a read through the recent pages of this thread for mobile phone recommendations.
I think most places have given up these pieces of paper. MV, Makro, 7/11 and others just do a temp check. When my local 7/11 stopped the practice, they told me that nobody knew what to do with the paperwork and nobody ever collected it. They have ceased any entry requirements for some time now.

I've said it before that Thai Chana is not a contact tracing software. It only highlights the number of people in one place at any time, and they even get that wrong because people forget to check-out.

Sorry, :offtopic:
PeteC

Re: Thai Chana app

Post by PeteC »

If interested, here is a story about new Covid applications being developed elsewhere. If Wave #2 ever hits here, we may see something similar introduced which may or may not be an improvement on the existing "Chana" application.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/26/heal ... index.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:17 am
buksida wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:28 pm Entry is not that strictly enforced, you just put a name on the paper and write a phone number there, no need to scan anything. I did it three times yesterday - I won't let any Thai govt app near my phone.

Have a read through the recent pages of this thread for mobile phone recommendations.
I think most places have given up these pieces of paper. MV, Makro, 7/11 and others just do a temp check. When my local 7/11 stopped the practice, they told me that nobody knew what to do with the paperwork and nobody ever collected it. They have ceased any entry requirements for some time now.

I've said it before that Thai Chana is not a contact tracing software. It only highlights the number of people in one place at any time, and they even get that wrong because people forget to check-out.

Sorry, :offtopic:
The reason nobody came to collect the paperwork is because the shops are supposed to send it in. The 90% hard at work.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

So how is the status in Hua Hin now? Everybody wearing masks? Still have to register for entry at all shops, 7/11 etc? Still taking temperature readings?

If this is the case, why? Isn't Thailand Covid free? I thought only returning Thais and expats in quarantine are caught with Covid?

Any updates appreciated.

YNWA

YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:53 pm So how is the status in Hua Hin now? Everybody wearing masks? Still have to register for entry at all shops, 7/11 etc? Still taking temperature readings?

If this is the case, why? Isn't Thailand Covid free? I thought only returning Thais and expats in quarantine are caught with Covid?

Any updates appreciated.

YNWA
Everywhere I go most people wear masks, most of the shops have stopped registering entrants and they are still taking temperatures, although, it's rather perfunctory. As far as I know Thailand is Covid free but the orders from on high have not come down to tell everyone that it's OK to not wear a mask.
Until the orders are rescinded, we shall wear our masks. Check back in a few years for an update. It's best if one do not think for one's own self. That can lead to trouble.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would disagree with handrummer's mask assessment. I would guesstimate that less than 20% are wearing their masks CORRECTLY. Wearing them incorrectly is as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Thai Chana, whether electronic or manual is dead in the water.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:agree: - 100%

I wear a mask to enter MV, Bluport, Makro and 7/11. Anywhere else, masks are few and far between. Maskless customers are often seen in 7/11 as there are no checks at all. Once inside MV, I'd say most are not wearing masks correctly. (under the chin is very common). I don't know of any bars and restaurants that even do a temp check any more.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I include today's Daily Brief here as it actually states what the CCSA considers the purpose of Thai Chana.

I am now convinced I did the right thing when I wouldn't press the button (download) to continue my check-in. The grand plans for future advancement includes satellite tracking (similar to Google Maps). As I've said, I've got nothing to hide, but won't accept unsolicited downloads.

I just wonder how many turned their phone into a Government tracking device without realising what was happening.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Mor chana is not the same as thai chana. The Thai chana app does not use any gps tracking. I don't use the browser method, so don't know what it does. I will continue to use Thai Chana because all it collects is what shops we go in and there is a slight possibility it might be helpful.

However Mor Chana is a definite no no.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thai Chana is what I used regularly, but as I've said, one day, quite out of the blue, it would not let me continue unless I downloaded something else, which would completely change the context of what I was doing. It wasn't asking if I'd like to accept the download, it was telling me to press to continue. I've not gone near Thai Chana since. In fact I've not been noticing as many QR Codes for quite some time.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think the QR codes are about to come back. Even the new Mr DIY has started asking people to check in after not bothering since they opened a few months ago.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:10 pm Thai Chana is what I used regularly, but as I've said, one day, quite out of the blue, it would not let me continue unless I downloaded something else, which would completely change the context of what I was doing. It wasn't asking if I'd like to accept the download, it was telling me to press to continue. I've not gone near Thai Chana since. In fact I've not been noticing as many QR Codes for quite some time.
I've used the Thai Chana system many, many times since it came out (probably more than a hundred times) - it's never asked me to download anything, it just gives me a link to click on. No new app has been added to my phone because of it (and I've checked my list of apps, just to be sure).

I wonder if what it wanted you to download was some kind of update to one of your existing apps (possibly your browser) but there is no Thai Chana app that installs itself on your phone, as far as I can tell.