Effects of Covid-19 on Education Worldwide

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Effects of Covid-19 on Education Worldwide

Post by Lost »

^^^
I believe the UK government has made a large contribution to them figures having bought half a million odd for kids who can't afford them.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My granddaughter was doing her online learning this morning. The subject was English and in one exercise they had to put words into pairs.
e.g. Moon and Stars, fork and spoon and many more. You get the idea.

One question was to pair the word 'ROAD'. You wouldn't believe the answer ---- 'DEAD DOG'!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 pm My granddaughter was doing her online learning this morning. The subject was English and in one exercise they had to put words into pairs.

One question was to pair the word 'ROAD'. You wouldn't believe the answer ---- 'DEAD DOG'!!
I’d have thought that “dead motorcyclist” would have been more likely!!
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm
HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 pm My granddaughter was doing her online learning this morning. The subject was English and in one exercise they had to put words into pairs.

If that was an attempt at humour, it was sick, and you should retract it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Felipesed1 wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm

If that was an attempt at humour, it was sick, and you should retract it.
My apologies for any offence caused, unfortunately however, it is fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by handdrummer »

Due to Covid-!9, our youngest daughter was laid off around March last year, as a translator, for a large Belgium company in Bangkok. She just got another job, in administration, for a Thai company that produces Video commercials. She receives 20,000 bht a month and can either work from home, in the office or a combination. Working from home she saves about 3000bht a month in transportation and about the same in food by not having to eat out. Taken together that approximates the average Bangkok wage. Fortunately, she lives with her sister and doesn't pay rent but helps out with elec., water, food, etc. It makes me wonder if a BA honors was worth the time, effort and money? She supplements her income by privately teaching Korean to Uni students who want to improve their grades. Is there a future here for smart young people who can think logically and reason intelligently or will they have to keep their mouths shut and kow tow just to get by?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by HHTel »

caller wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:50 pm The average salary in Bkk is 25,500.

The minimum wage is 331 baht per day, allegedly, just over 10k per month if working every day. Beggars belief really.
Depends a lot on which source you take.
As of January 2020, the average wage in Bangkok was 20,854 baht per month according to the National Statistical Office (NSO).
Another source matches your figure of 25,500 and yet another source is as low as 15,000. All figures pertaining to BKK.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I hope this is a one off and not the start of something yet again. :(

phpGXK4JqAM.jpg
phpGXK4JqAM.jpg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Who knows? The people are the last to be told. Information is usually always vague and it was intriguing to note that that those who had been attendees at the bars in Thonglor and Ekkamai, from which a mini-cluster has been detected, have been advised to get tested. Which seems a pretty lame response to me.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by PeteC »

I see the language by the PM and others today, especially about "working from home....", and it makes me think there is no chance in hell that schools will re-open after Songkran. Stay tuned.....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Summer camps for ours have already been cancelled so do not expect schools to open in May.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I found the below on my messages this morning, sent by my wife last night. I haven't translated anything, and no idea what organization issued it, but probably a list of rules to be issued after the Gov meetings today.

S__50159636.jpg
(250.45 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I think it is inevitable. I read yesterday that a number of universities have been converted to field hospitals, and of course Hua Hin has converted a school.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter won't be happy. My grandson has just passed the entrance exam to start Matayom in Salesian. Compulsory summer school is a condition in his first year which she had to pay extra for. What's the betting that there's no refund.
PeteC

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by PeteC »

All schools closed ...."EXCEPT International Schools that have to organize examinations...." at least as it stands at the moment.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... or-2-weeks