Vaccines - Covid 19

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

Full time or part time foreign residents of Thailand which vaccine(s) have you or will you receive?

______First__________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
15%
Johnson & Johnson
1%
Moderna
1%
Pfizer
18%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
14%
Other
No votes
______Second________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
25%
Moderna
3%
Pfizer
20%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 79

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Vaccines - Covid 19

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:They and other countries have to get a move on though to get the world vaccinated. They're never going to do it if that procedure keeps up when mass inoculations start. Hopefully when they see the vaccine is safe and nothing different than giving a normal injection they'll streamline things.

Where are the compressor powered inoculation air guns the military uses, or used to use. 1 person every 5 seconds is the average if the line moves properly. :idea:
They’ve vaccinated over 18 million in the UK in just over 2 months using the traditional syringe and needle in the arm approach - it can be done, it just needs organisation!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thai hospitals are fairly stuck in the mud with most of the list. Do you really think things will change? They'll just recruit more jabbers and admin staff, whilst creating another mountain of pointless paperwork.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

1st vaccines reach arms in S. Korea, Hong Kong

https://apnews.com/article/public-healt ... 44fd89b663

South Korea administered its first available shots of coronavirus vaccines to people at long-term care facilities Friday, launching a mass immunization campaign that health authorities hope will restore some level of normalcy by the end of the year.

The rollout of vaccines come at a critical time for the country, which has seen its hard-won gains against the virus get wiped out by a winter surge and is struggling to mitigate the pandemic’s economic shock that decimated service sector jobs.

“I felt very anxious over the past year, but I feel more secure now after receiving the vaccine,” said nursing home worker Lee Gyeong-soon, who received her shot at a public health center in northern Seoul.

Health authorities plan to complete injecting the first of two doses to some 344,000 residents and workers at long-term care settings and 55,000 frontline medical workers by the end of March.

“We have taken the historic first step toward restoring normalcy,” senior Health Ministry official Son Young-rae said during a briefing.

He said the government has decided to extend current social distancing levels for at least another two weeks, clamping down on private social gatherings of five or more people and banning indoor dining after 10 p.m., to help create a safe environment for vaccinations.

Separately, doctors, nurses and other health professionals treating COVID-19 patients will begin receiving the shots developed by Pfizer and BioNTech from Saturday. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, which South Korea obtained through the WHO-backed COVAX program, arrived at Incheon International Airport on Friday and will be transported to five major COVID-19 treatment hospitals.

The next available vaccines are likely to go to workers at general hospitals, paramedics, quarantine workers and people over 65 years in age before broader groups of adults begin receiving shots in summer.

In other developments around the Asia-Pacific region:

— Hong Kong began administering its first COVID-19 vaccines to the public, kicking off its program offering free vaccinations to all 7.5 million residents. People age 60 and older and health care workers are among the some 2.4 million people currently prioritized to receive vaccines at community centers and outpatient clinics across Hong Kong. The government said registrations for the first two weeks of the program are full. Participants so far will be receiving the vaccine by Chinese biopharmaceutical firm Sinovac. A million doses arrived in the city last week, and Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam and other top government officials were vaccinated first in a bid to bolster confidence in the program. Hong Kong has struck deals to buy 22.5 million doses of vaccines, from Sinovac, AstraZeneca and Fosun Pharma, which will deliver the vaccine developed by Pfizer-BioNTech.

— Sri Lanka’s government has changed its policy of allowing only cremations for COVID-19 victims and will allow burials, after months of protests by Muslims and others that it is insensitive toward religious beliefs. The government issued the decree Thursday night allowing cremation and burials following stipulated health guidelines. The insistence on cremation only had cited possible groundwater contamination, despite the World Health Organization and local medical professional bodies saying such claims have no scientific basis.

— A state of emergency that was set up to curb the coronavirus in Japan will be lifted in six urban areas this weekend while staying in the Tokyo area for another week. The government minister in charge of pandemic measures told a government panel about the changes, though the official decision hasn’t been announced. The state of emergency began in January and centered around asking restaurants, bars and other businesses to close at 8 p.m. Partially lifting the emergency, and just a week early, underlines Japan’s eagerness to keep the economy going. Separately, Japan said coronavirus vaccine shipments will arrive at the local government offices by the end of June to inoculate the nation’s 36 million elderly people. Those 65 years or older are scheduled to get vaccines after health workers. But worries had been growing about an ample supply of the imported vaccines.

— China has approved two more COVID-19 vaccines for wider use. The vaccine from CanSino Biologics is the first developed by a Chinese company that requires only one shot. CanSino said it is 65.28% effective 28 days after the dose is given. The other newly approved vaccine is from a subsidiary of state-owned Sinopharm, the Wuhan Institute of Biologics, which said its vaccine is 72.51% effective. Vaccines from Sinovac and from Sinopharm’s Beijing subsidiary were approved earlier and are in use. Sinovac and Sinopharm have both said they will be able to manufacture 1 billion shots annually by the end of this year. A military researcher told state media CanSino can produce up to 300 million doses per year, and the Wuhan Institute said it can produce up to 100 million doses per year.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Covid Politics UK/EU/US/AUS/NZ

Post by hhfarang »

I can tell you for a fact that the Pfizer vaccine works as designed. I'm in a trial of an at home blood antibody test where once a month I stab my finger and pour blood on a stick with a test strip kind of like a preggers test except with blood instead of pee. Last month's test was negative and yesterday, exactly 14 days after my 2nd round of the Pfizer vaccine, the antibody test was positive with the protective antibodies (evidently there are two kinds of antibodies, some that you get early on when you are infected and then the protective ones you get at about 10 days after you have symptoms from an infection. The second type is the one you get from the vaccines).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about where billions of used syringes are going to go. :( I'm assuming they're not the reusable type of old, but disposables. I hope there are some good collection and recycling procedures in place or people and sea life may be swimming with them in the sea, and stepping on them on the beach in many places for years to come. :tsk:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’d be very surprised if that does indeed happen - flu jabs have been dispensed in the multiple-millions in the past and I’m not aware of any reports of disposal issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It seems to be a concern. The below article speaks about the USA only, and 660 million syringes approximately, how about 18 billion if every human gets two shots. The normal seasonal flu shots in the US number about 198 million + - year to year the article says. What I'm very surprised to read below is that needles, syringes and glass vaccine viles are not recyclable! :shock:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90601079/th ... nt-problem

Google search has many other articles on the subject.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:05 pm It seems to be a concern. The below article speaks about the USA only, and 660 million syringes approximately, how about 18 billion if every human gets two shots. The normal seasonal flu shots in the US number about 198 million + - year to year the article says. What I'm very surprised to read below is that needles, syringes and glass vaccine viles are not recyclable! :shock:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90601079/th ... nt-problem

Google search has many other articles on the subject.
A junkies dream if I ever did see one. (with apologies to Levon Helm)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The world is racing ahead by the millions with story upon story everyday of numbers and progress. Here they publish a silly front page photo of 1 official getting his vaccine. :banghead: As far as I know not many others, if any, have gotten anything. I'm sorry but I'm going to have a problem agreeing to get any Chinese vaccine.

Depending upon how the curve goes and how the re-entry restrictions evolve, the thought process may start for many to bite the financial bullet and take that trip home, get the vaccine and spend time with friends and family, then come back.

Let's see what develops over the next 3-6 months. :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:05 pm Depending upon how the curve goes and how the re-entry restrictions evolve, the thought process may start for many to bite the financial bullet and take that trip home, get the vaccine and spend time with friends and family, then come back.

The problem with that is that by then you may be required to have had the vaccine before you can travel. Catch 22...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Very true. :(
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:26 pm
PeteC wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:05 pm Depending upon how the curve goes and how the re-entry restrictions evolve, the thought process may start for many to bite the financial bullet and take that trip home, get the vaccine and spend time with friends and family, then come back.

The problem with that is that by then you may be required to have had the vaccine before you can travel. Catch 22...
I’d have thought that the worst case scenario is that you might have to go into quarantine if you haven’t been vaccinated - whether that would make a visit worthwhile would be down to the individual.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Just had my first jab at the local hospital. Astra Zeneca. In and out in 20 mins, including 10 mins sit down afterwards before driving; less hassle than a blood sample. No pain, no immediate side effects. Next jab 10-12 weeks, notified by email/SMS. Friendly and efficient service.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

The LHG and I have had different vaccinations in different environments. I have had the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab at the local "practice", whilst the LHG had her Pfizer jabs at two different vaccination centers (both within 30 miles).
PeteC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 pm Below are the procedures in Thailand apparently. Seems a bit over the top to me. Those who have had the vaccine elsewhere, is the below normal?

"The procedure to get vaccinated starts by recipients undergoing screening by having their temperatures taken, and then sanitising their hands before entering the administration area. Then, they will move their way through a series of steps, detailed below:

Step 1: Register
YES For both of us.

Step 2: Record weight and blood pressure
NO

Step 3: Pass the screening process by have their medical history and risk assessment recorded and then signing a consent to receive the vaccine
A couple of questions regarding allergies, whether you've had symptoms of Covid-19 etc. - verbal consent for the jab.

Step 4: Wait for vaccination
YES, but handled very efficiently in our experience

Step 5: Vaccination

Step 6: Rest for 30 minutes, while being observed for symptoms. Then scan the official Line account “หมอพร้อม” (“Doctor Ready”)
The LHG had to stay within the center(s) for 15 mins after the vaccination. I was simply "advised" to rest for 15 minutes before travelling.

Step 7: Pass a final check before receiving a document confirming vaccination
No checks - simple card given straight after having the jab.

Pichet says health workers will follow up with vaccine recipients after 1,7, and 30 days from being vaccinated to monitor any adverse reactions."
Not the case in the UK.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Good Idea, Pietro - my answers in blue...
pharvey wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:51 pm The LHG and I have had different vaccinations in different environments. I have had the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab at the local "practice", whilst the LHG had her Pfizer jabs at two different vaccination centers (both within 30 miles).
PeteC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 pm Below are the procedures in Thailand apparently. Seems a bit over the top to me. Those who have had the vaccine elsewhere, is the below normal?

"The procedure to get vaccinated starts by recipients undergoing screening by having their temperatures taken, and then sanitising their hands before entering the administration area. Then, they will move their way through a series of steps, detailed below:
No screening, just sanitise

Step 1: Register
YES For both of us.
Yes, just a name check

Step 2: Record weight and blood pressure
NO
NO

Step 3: Pass the screening process by have their medical history and risk assessment recorded and then signing a consent to receive the vaccine
A couple of questions regarding allergies, whether you've had symptoms of Covid-19 etc. - verbal consent for the jab.
DITTO

Step 4: Wait for vaccination
YES, but handled very efficiently in our experience
DITTO 2-3 mins

Step 5: Vaccination

Step 6: Rest for 30 minutes, while being observed for symptoms. Then scan the official Line account “หมอพร้อม” (“Doctor Ready”)
The LHG had to stay within the center(s) for 15 mins after the vaccination. I was simply "advised" to rest for 15 minutes before travelling.
Drivers only asked to sit for 10 mins

Step 7: Pass a final check before receiving a document confirming vaccination
No checks - simple card given straight after having the jab.
DITTO

Pichet says health workers will follow up with vaccine recipients after 1,7, and 30 days from being vaccinated to monitor any adverse reactions."
Not the case in the UK.
DITTO
This is the way