Life Certificate

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Life Certificate

Post by Hahuahin »

Anyone know of an official institution in Hua Hin which could sign and stamp a Life Certificate to avoid stop in pension payments? The certificate have to be signed by two witnesses and a public authority at the recipient's domicile to confirm that the recipient is alive.

Thank you in advance.
hahuahin
Big Boy

Re: Life Certificate

Post by Big Boy »

I have always used a solicitor, but friends have assured me the cheapest option is the police station in town - only 300฿
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yes, you can do it at the Police Station. Just a couple of hundred baht or so.

Incidentally, I received one, must be a year or more. Completely forgot about it for a while then decided to forget it anyway and see what happens. The threat is that if it's not returned within a given time after the certificate posting, then you pension will be suspended. Which of course means that it's just put into 'saver' mode until you return the Life Certificate. Anyway, at least a year later and nothing has happened!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have helped sargeant's wife with with her finances since his passing. Obviously she needed help less and less as time went on. We hadn't heard from her for a couple of years when she turned up again. Her pension had stopped. A few e-mails later, it was apparent she had received a Life Certificate letter and because it was written in English, she simply binned it.

It took a couple of weeks, but I got it sorted, and it was all paid. So if you need your monthly income regularly, get the certificate returned.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I got my doctor to sign mine and he did it for free - it wasn’t the saving (honestly), just the fact I wasn’t sure who else to ask!!
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

The list of those who can sign these forms includes retired UK Civll Servants, and they must be two a penny here.

During previous rounds I've always signed a former collegues certificate, and a few others, and he's signed mine.

My biggest issue is the delivery of the Life Certificate in the first place, mail to my address is, at best, hit and miss.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ptions.pdf
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Governor wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:18 am The list of those who can sign these forms includes retired UK Civll Servants, and they must be two a penny here.

During previous rounds I've always signed a former collegues certificate, and a few others, and he's signed mine.

My biggest issue is the delivery of the Life Certificate in the first place, mail to my address is, at best, hit and miss.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ptions.pdf
Big Boy could make a fortune charging for his services (that’s signing Life Certificates nothing else!!) :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whilst you are partially correct, and I have signed for many people (e.g. German and Scandinavian countries), not all authorities will accept retired UK Civil Servants. My wife's certificate from UK Pensions was quite specific, as have certificates from both French and Spanish Pensions. The Life Certificate should tell you who can and can not sign the document.

Strangely enough, despite Governor's link, Retired Civil Servants (I know a few :D) were not on the list provided for my wife's Life Certificate. So, assuming Governor's list is current, it must have been updated in the last 6 months.

Points 48; Position 20
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Thanks to all for the replies. Think I try the Police station first and see if they will do it!
hahuahin
Highflyer

Post by Highflyer »

Be Well Clinic @ Banyan resort signed and stamped for me, no charge.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am Strangely enough, despite Governor's link, Retired Civil Servants (I know a few :D) were not on the list provided for my wife's Life Certificate. So, assuming Governor's list is current, it must have been updated in the last 6 months.
The link was from the UK Embassy website as of today, to my knowledge it's been so for some years, and has been accepted for the years I've been countersigning them.

Whilst I accept that it's probably not on the Life Certificate form itself, but in the guidance the DWP advise that the people allowed to witness the form are the same as can countersign passports, and their link confirms that retired Civil Servants are acceptable, and when a former collegue called the DWP in Newcastle, they confirmed that it was acceptable.

Interestingly anybody can sign my Civil Service Pension equivilant, which thankfully is substantially higher than my State Pension, and not frozen, my German neighbour signs mine, Brexit isn't discussed, and it can be scanned and returned by email.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree it wasn't on the Life Certificate, but it was one of the accompanying documents. Even though I can't sign for my wife, I always check to see who can do it.

Amazingly, I'm 9 years into my Civil Service Pension but haven't had to prove I'm still alive yet.

Points 48; Position 20
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 am Amazingly, I'm 9 years into my Civil Service Pension but haven't had to prove I'm still alive yet.
I've had a few, they call them Certificates of entitlement, looking forward to my .5% next month, might splash out on a can of beer.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I am only required to “self certify” my Company pension form that I’m still alive, which is sent to me annually - they also accept it being returned by email, whereas the Government pension form has to be posted!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I retired when in local Government after transferring my civil service pension over to my new pension.

Each local authority is an employer in it's own right and mine is one of about 30 LA's that banded together to create a company to administer their pension schemes.

This year, they changed the way they operate. Life certificates are no longer posted, I guess as many never made it to their destination, or at least on time, as happened to me in the past, they are emailed instead. They have scrapped the need to have it countersigned, which is a waste of time in any case and now you have to provide copies of documents from a list provided, that are current and include your name and address, which is actually easier said than done over here. But I managed to get two they accepted.

They also seem much more user friendly than before asking for phone numbers where you can be contacted if any problems and with easier reporting processes than before. I now have more confidence in them generally than before, which is re-assuring.
Talk is cheap