Ghosts Wail as Cambodians Plunder Killing Field Graves

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Ghosts Wail as Cambodians Plunder Killing Field Graves

Post by PeteC »

From the New York Times. Pete

SRE LEAV, Cambodia — Researchers are examining a long-unknown killing field in Cambodia with the graves of thousands of victims of the Khmer Rouge from the 1970s.

Sre Leav’s mass graves may be the first in Cambodia to be looted.
But local villagers found it first. By the time the researchers arrived in early May, some 200 graves had been dug up and the bones scattered through the woods by hundreds of people hunting for jewelry.

“Everyone was running up there to dig for gold, so I went too,â€
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

"Srey Noeun, 47, a farmer with four small children, said she could not sleep for three nights after digging two small gold earrings out of a grave.

“I’m afraid that the owner will take revenge on me because she died with nothing but her earrings and now I have taken them,â€
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

One thing about this is that it seems clear that the entire atrocity is being forgotten by the Cambodians, especially the young, who will become the old and the teachers, the bearer of the flame, the 'oracle'. I think not unfortunately.

The body count rivals what Hitler did but like similar events in Asia, The Great Leap Forward, The Cultural Revolution, both of which killed millions seem to fade into history and forgotten. We can also include Rawanda and shortly Darfur.

Us whites seem to have a problem, we seem only to focus and remember atrocities to our own kind, color that is, not that we're all human and so were they. :( Pete