Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 pm
handdrummer wrote:When I drove into town on Fri. there was a lot more traffic than I'd seen in several months and MV parking was crowded.
Good for business but I prefer it less crowded.
Oh well, you can't have anything.
Yeah. Are there no malls in Bangkok?
A few, but none that compare to MV & Bluport. Both are well worth the trip. Not to mention the night market. :naughty:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am Not to mention the night market.
I went there on Saturday. I always regarded it as a purveyor of tat, but it was sad to see it in it's diminished state. Only went halfway up to eat in one of the restaurants on the road, but they were packed. Bought a T shirt on he way back to Petch Rd and the lady serving said that Saturday was the only night they sold anything. On Friday, the Bangkokians didn't go there and by Sunday, they had gone. Bought some very nice BBQ ribs from a stall just selling ribs.

On a little drive around town on the same evening, restaurants in 112 were reasonably busy, on the Petch Road, they seemed very busy, especially a Thai BBQ place, 94 and the road back down to 88 was doing good trade, especially Ogen and 'Le Pub', which looked full. The food court much less so. The Hilton area seemed desolate, but judging by the cars, at least one pier was okay as was the place on the corner of 57 and Naebkehardt Rd, that used to have queues, well they were in evidence again, which was a shame, as that was our planned destination. The corner place opposite the night market on Petch Road was also very busy. Interestingly, one bar in Poonsuk appeared open. The knocking shops just before you get to 57 were also open. But the area was generally closed, dark and unappealing,
Last edited by caller on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

This will help restore confidence

Details of 106 million tourists to Thailand leaked online in data breach
The personal details of 106 million foreign tourists to Thailand have been leaked online, cyber security experts have discovered.

The data was leaked in August, according to a report released on Monday (Sept 20) by British based cyber security firm Comparitech.

The company said it discovered a database containing the personal information of “any foreigner who travelled to Thailand in the last decade might have had their information exposed in the incident”.

Comparitech’s head of cybersecurity research, Bob Diachenko said he was even able to find his own personal data in the leak, having previously visited Thailand on holiday.

According to Diachenko the data goes back to 2011 and includes names, passport numbers and visa status.

The data leak was discovered on August 21 with the Thai authorities securing the data on August 22. They maintain “the data was not accessed by any unauthorised parties”.

“However we do not know how long the data was exposed prior to being indexed,” the report said.

Pre-pandemic approximately 40 million tourists visited Thailand annually.

This isn’t the first time a major data leak has been discovered in Thailand.

As recently as June this year, the website set up by the government to enable foreigners in Thailand to register to receive a COVID-19 vaccination was found to be exposing the names and passport details from people who registered on the site.

Huahintoday.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Firms rip reopening delay to Nov 1
Confusion over reopening timelines has spoiled the chance for the tourism industry to rebound during the upcoming high season as inconsistent policies damage the country's credibility and international tour operators refrain from planning packages until policies are confirmed.

The reopening plan for five areas -- Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phetchaburi -- faced another setback after the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided to put off the starting date from Oct 1 to Nov 1.

For Pattaya, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai, this was the third postponement from an initial reopening schedule of mid-September, all attributed to a vaccine shortage.

Tassapon Bijleveld, executive chairman of Asia Aviation, the largest shareholder of Thai AirAsia, said the move affects both the private sector and nation's tourism image because a reopening timeline of October was already set, with people and companies adjusting their plans.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... y-to-nov-1
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:06 am Firms rip reopening delay to Nov 1
Confusion over reopening timelines has spoiled the chance for the tourism industry to rebound during the upcoming high season as inconsistent policies damage the country's credibility and international tour operators refrain from planning packages until policies are confirmed.

The reopening plan for five areas -- Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phetchaburi -- faced another setback after the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided to put off the starting date from Oct 1 to Nov 1.

For Pattaya, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai, this was the third postponement from an initial reopening schedule of mid-September, all attributed to a vaccine shortage.

Tassapon Bijleveld, executive chairman of Asia Aviation, the largest shareholder of Thai AirAsia, said the move affects both the private sector and nation's tourism image because a reopening timeline of October was already set, with people and companies adjusting their plans.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... y-to-nov-1
If the goobermint could get its act together and sign a document, they could have 1 miilion doses of US donated vaccine.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That was "fake news" according to our esteemed health minister ... https://www.thaienquirer.com/33122/anut ... zer-delay/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:03 am That was "fake news" according to our esteemed health minister ... https://www.thaienquirer.com/33122/anut ... zer-delay/
Lots of holes in that story. But, of course, they are waiting for "further clarification."
buksida

Post by buksida »

Slash tourist entry rules, urge firms
Tourism operators are urging the relaxation of travel restrictions in addition to a shorter quarantine to lure back more international arrivals for the upcoming high season.

Kongsak Khoopongsakorn, president of the Thai Hotels Association's southern chapter, said reducing the length of quarantine and number of RT-PCR tests to two might not significantly increase the number of visitors, adding that more regulations needed to be eased.

He said the government should allow antigen test kits to be used for the second test, which reduces the cost from 5,200 baht for two RT-PCR tests to around 3,000 baht.

Operators received feedback from travel agents that the cost of RT-PCR tests are only 1,000 baht in Europe compared with 2,400 or 2,800 baht for a test in Phuket. This is a sticking point for potential visitors, causing them to choose other destinations, said Mr Kongsak.

Moreover, the complicated Certificate of Entry process should be streamlined to make travel to Thailand more inviting, he said.

Foreigners are also concerned about the rule that sends passengers considered high-risk into quarantine if they are on the same flight as those who test positive, as the risk of in-flight transmission is rare due to aircrafts' high-efficiency particulate air filters, said Mr Kongsak.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... urge-firms

They need to change more than just test prices before people are going to consider coming on holiday to a country that is still closed and under curfew. I have no idea how they can contemplate attracting tourists when we're still locked down and restricted domestically - that has to be lifted first but I don't reckon it'll happen this year. It may be in the interests of businesses to do so, but not the junta.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

My old Canadian friend will likely be back to Hua Hin in December, if the rules and restrictions
have become reasonable, his son has a house there. Another friend from Alberta will also be back with his Thai wife
as well, because they have a nice house in the south part of Hua Hin. If the Quarantine rules change to
no quarantine, just a test at the airport in Bangkok, and then freedom, I will return to Hua Hin in January 2022.
We all enjoy our Singha beer, so the alcohol ban will have to be totally gone as well. I will not play the
beer in a mug routine. I am glad to hear that vaccinations are happening in Hua Hin as well, and hope that the
great Thai, junta government do not mess up anymore free donations of COVID vaccine from the USA and
other places that are producing Pfizer and Moderna. Even in Canada, there have not been many to get the J & J stuff.
Good Luck to all, I hope to escape the cold Canadian Winter as well.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Travel despair crushes high season hopes
The travel industry looks set to lose another high season after the latest tourism confidence index hit an all-time low, despite Thailand's reopening plans and domestic stimulus campaigns.

According to the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT)'s quarterly survey, the tourism confidence index in the third quarter hit a historic low of 7 out of 200. A normal level of normal confidence would be reflected with a score of 100.

The negative sentiment is expected to continue into the high season, with the index forecasting fourth-quarter sentiment of just 29 -- a far cry from 62 in the same period last year -- even though the country is preparing to roll out more pilot areas for international tourists and resuming two domestic stimulus campaigns in the final quarter.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... ason-hopes
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:03 pm Travel despair crushes high season hopes
The travel industry looks set to lose another high season after the latest tourism confidence index hit an all-time low, despite Thailand's reopening plans and domestic stimulus campaigns.

According to the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT)'s quarterly survey, the tourism confidence index in the third quarter hit a historic low of 7 out of 200. A normal level of normal confidence would be reflected with a score of 100.

The negative sentiment is expected to continue into the high season, with the index forecasting fourth-quarter sentiment of just 29 -- a far cry from 62 in the same period last year -- even though the country is preparing to roll out more pilot areas for international tourists and resuming two domestic stimulus campaigns in the final quarter.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... ason-hopes
Several youtube videos talking about the grand reopening and people responding by saying, they aren't going to spend half of their vacation sitting in a hotel room under quarantine.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

I know of people in the uk looking at Thai embassy web sites and saying forget it no update in a year and the phones all off or on hold for a week and can you imagine trying to get a visa and coe if it becomes busy no thanks all going to europe for xmas.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tourism operators downbeat on domestic travel sentiment
Tourism operators anticipate lukewarm travel sentiment as concerns over Covid-19 and weak purchasing power remain key obstacles for domestic trips despite the subsidy generating an additional 2-million room nights.

"Domestic tourism reached its peak last November, thanks to low infection rate and improving travel mood driven by many marketing campaigns and government stimulus schemes, but this year might not see such a volume again," said Nok Air chief executive Wutthiphum Jurangkool.

He said different travel requirements in each province also deterred tourists from air travel and choosing nearby areas within driving distance instead, while tourists last year did not have to show any Covid-19 test before boarding planes.

He said the uncertain virus situation and low purchasing power caused by the outbreak also weigh down the number of domestic trips.

Nok Air has resumed all 23 domestic routes with 20-40 flights per day from 14-20 flights last month, while cabin factor in the fourth quarter is projected at more than 75% after airlines can unlock full capacity.

Vason Kittikul, president of the Thai Hotels Association's (THA) western chapter, said public concern over caseloads have slowed hotel bookings under the resumption of the subsidy scheme this month compared to the previous phases.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... -sentiment

I cant remember the last time I stayed in a hotel, don't think it has been this year. :shock:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Govt talks up new, 'more efficient' Thailand Pass
The Foreign Affairs Ministry is rolling out a campaign to promote the use of the new Thailand Pass system which will replace certificates of entry (COE) for visitors to Thailand when the country reopens on Nov 1.

Tanee Sangrat, spokesman for the ministry, said that since April 2020, the ministry has approved more than 400,000 COE requests by Thai nationals and foreign visitors for travel to Thailand.

Now that the government will reopen the country, the Department of Consular Affairs has collaborated with the Digital Government Development Agency (DGA) to develop the "Thailand Pass'' system, the web-based system for Thai and foreign travellers to fill in their travel and health information and upload related documents before travelling.

The new system will help reduce unnecessary procedures and visitors can register on tp.consular.go.th from Nov 1, said Mr Tanee, who also serves as director-general of the ministry's Department of Information.

He said the Department of Consular Affairs and Thai embassies and consulates in foreign countries are testing the new system to get a good grasp before its official launch on Nov 1.

"Thai embassies and consulates will change their original role of issuing the COEs to publicising and giving advice on the registration of the Thailand Pass system. This means there will be no more process of seeking their approval,'' Mr Tanee said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... iland-pass

Thailand's "web-based systems" are rarely "more efficient" because they rarely work properly!

'Limit the entry curbs'
This article interviews a few in the tourism industry that are looking at things a bit more realistically than the politicians. No, there won't be a surge in tourists as the entry requirements are still off-putting, and most places are still closed and unlikely to reopen for just a trickle of tourists.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/sp ... ntry-curbs
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m worried that the new Thailand Pass system doesn’t come into operation until the 1st November and I’m due to fly on the 6th, so it doesn’t leave a lot of time to resolve any issues with the Thai IT systems!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk