Remove Shoes Before Entering

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Remove Shoes Before Entering

Post by buksida »

I'd probably abide if it was a small place in someone's house, but for hygiene reasons as mentioned above I wouldn't bother in anywhere bigger or commercial. In times of "new normal" we're going to see a lot more of this covid paranoia if thats what it was related to.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:20 am Interestingly enough there seems to be articles on-line saying that the bottom of shoes can carry and transfer Covid. Perhaps what this restaurant is doing is a short term precaution until the pandemic eases up?

As mentioned above, if it's not a polished teak floor type place removing shoes is very unusual.
If that's the case, then if you're wearing sandals, the bottoms of your feet could transmit covid. Be careful not to step in a puddle of covid and don't sneeze or cough on your feet.

We need a spray vaccine for our extremities.

But there is good news, the vaccine pill is coming to Thailand. They're not going to miss out this time. The PILL purports to reduce symptoms and death by 50%. Now only half of ourselves can get sick or die. Hard to know which half I'd prefer. Would that be upper or lower or side to side?
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Oh crap ... new product for vendors and homeowners to buy, foot / shoe disinfectant pads / baths. Actually they already exist, but now will be mandatory to have, like all the other BS people have been scared into buying.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Yes a long time ago 20 - 25 years at a very historic kind of restaurant in Phuket. Had a bit fun there with my father who at that time already was 80 years old because as said you had to remove the shoes when entering and when we should leave my father couldn't find his shoes and thought someone had mistaken his shoes for theirs : :laugh: Anyway It was an amazing atmosphere there and it was not only the food but you really could feel "Thailand" after a few hours in the place. I remember it was costly even at that time something like 5k pr. person. Unfortunately and as far as I know the place is now replaced by a huge shopping mall. Btw, I think the name was Thainaan.
hahuahin :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hahuahin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:43 pm Yes a long time ago 20 - 25 years at a very historic kind of restaurant in Phuket.
Historic/traditional I probably wouldn't have flinched, but yesterday's establishment was probably circa 2015 or newer. A shophouse.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

To be honest, when I'm in Thailand I wear sandals/flip-flops all the time and if I see footwear lined up outside any type of Thai business, I just kick them off without a thought. In Europe I often wear lightweight hiking boots that take a bit of lacing to get on and that would be a problem but with sandals it's too easy to worry about.