Dual-pricing in Thai Hospitals

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Re: Dual-pricing in Thai Hospitals

Post by Big Boy »

I think I've already said it, but I'll say it again. They may charge a little extra, but it's peanuts when you consider what you'd be charged at private hospitals for similar services.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree, BB. And it's not charged to you without your knowledge. You have to sign a form to say that you understand you will be paying a surcharge.
Not like some other industries where a price is written in Thai numerals for the locals and normal numbers for everyone else, which of course is higher.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:27 pm I'd need to check this, but I'm reasonably sure that dual pricing for health care across the EU including the UK exists for non-residents.
Maybe someone can expand on that.
I’m sure you’re aware that in the UK it’s free to UK residents (including non-nationals with long-term resident visa status) but for all others (even in theory UK nationals with non-resident status) they have to pay for healthcare.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Of course I'm aware.
Let's look at like for like before complaining about how much we're charged for health care.

Consider a Thai national retiring to the UK or anywhere else for that matter. How much would it cost a foreigner to retire in the UK as a non-resident?
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:02 pm Of course I'm aware.
Let's look at like for like before complaining about how much we're charged for health care.

Consider a Thai national retiring to the UK or anywhere else for that matter. How much would it cost a foreigner to retire in the UK as a non-resident?
After 3 years of residency... nothing. Rent paid, bills paid 'n a bit of spending money. :D
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Actually it's 5 years with a valid visa to apply for permanent residency. Unless you have ties (family for eg) to qualify as a retiree, you must show independent funding. You are not entitled to NHS during this time. After proven 5 years, a non-English speaker has to pass the 'Britishness Test'.

But show yourself as a refugee then you get just what you state.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:06 am Actually it's 5 years with a valid visa to apply for permanent residency. Unless you have ties (family for eg) to qualify as a retiree, you must show independent funding. You are not entitled to NHS during this time. After proven 5 years, a non-English speaker has to pass the 'Britishness Test'.

But show yourself as a refugee then you get just what you state.
Does Britain accept refugees from the US? :roll:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

If I was ever to return to the USA, I'd go to Mexico, and cross over 'illegally', become a documented 'undocumented' illegal alien, and get all kinds of free sh*t the working Yanks don't get. 🤣

On topic ... dual pricing is just wrong in principle, and some of the comparisons in this thread are apples & oranges. Doesn't matter what the cost is at home country or if immigrants can access the care, they aren't charged more for the same care.

In USA case, less if at all, without the requirement to pay for insurance that doesn't cover much.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

More is greater than free and non-residents in the UK don't get it for free. Not a case of dual pricing though. In Thailand we are also non-residents so we can't join the Thai healthcare. You could of course get medical insurance but in most cases the premium would be more than the cost of treatment.

Refugees from the US -- only when Trump was president.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If a Thai patient is insured by the government social security medical plan, is this accepted by private hospitals as partial payment of fees? My assumption is of course that the total fee will be higher than the Thai plan covers. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

It used to be for use only in a specified hospital (shown on the card when I had one) unless referred elsewhere.