Loy Krathong 2021

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
PeteC

Loy Krathong 2021

Post by PeteC »

The PM has agreed to allow the normal celebrations to take place, under Covid guidelines. The official date is Friday, November 19.

We'll check around to see what's on in Hua Hin, and post it up here if we find anything. Being a Friday night I would expect the Bangkok contingent to show up in big numbers for the weekend. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Loy Krathong 2021

Post by Big Boy »

I noticed yesterday that preparations are in place for the usual mayhem (a well organised, nice kind of mayhem) at Khao Tao Lake. Looking at the preparations, I would guess it will be the premier event in the Hua Hin area again.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know hotels are continuing with their celebrations, but I believe the following statement is saying municipality celebrations in Hua Hin (including Khao Tao) have been cacelled. Can one of the clever guys please confirm, or tell me what it really means?
ปีนี้ “หัวหิน” งดจัดงานประเพณีลอยกระทง จากสถานการณ์โรคโควิด-19 ยังคงแพร่ระบาดอย่างต่อเนื่อง การจัดกิจกรรมวันลอยกระทงจึงมีความเสี่ยงต่อการติดเชื้อโควิด เนื่องจากเป็นกิจกรรมที่มีการรวมตัวของผู้คนจำนวนมากและไม่สามารถจำกัดจำนวนของผู้เข้าร่วมกิจกรรมใด้ ซึ่งยากต่อการป้องกันและควบคุมตามมาตรการป้องกันโรคของกระทรวงสาธารณสุข
*แต่เทศบาลเมืองหัวหินได้อำนวยความสะดวกในเรื่องสถานที่ต่างๆที่ประชาชนจะไปลอยกระทง บริเวณท่าลงลอยกระทงมีการตกแต่งประดับไฟให้สว่างไสวสวยงาม มี จนท.ดูแลความปลอดภัยให้ครับ...
I must say, preparations at Khao Tao seemed to come to a sudden end............. or will they resume soon?

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, you are correct. No Hua Hin organized celebrations but for example people can go to different parts of the area to float their Krathongs. The pier area will have decorations and there will be officers to check that people be safe.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks BG. Keeping the people happy.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's the Google version saying same:

"This year, "Hua Hin" cancels the Loi Krathong festival. from the COVID-19 situation continues to spread Therefore, Loy Krathong Day activities are at risk of contracting COVID-19. As this is a large gathering of people and there is no limit to the number of participants which is difficult to prevent and control according to the disease prevention measures of the Ministry of Public Health
*But Hua Hin Municipality has facilitated the various places where people will go to Loi Krathong. The Loy Krathong Pier area is decorated with lights to be bright and beautiful. There is an officer to take care of the safety for you..."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, what can I say?

I'm just back from Khao Tao, and the little fun fair is being erected, and the krathong launching station is being built around the pier, so it looks as though Loy Krathong will be happening. Either that or its a case of Thai left and right hands again :?

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

They did say they were facilitating events. But presumably there won't be any organized concerts though. Or float procession.

Or will there?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nah, just a fairground and market :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:24 am Well, what can I say?

I'm just back from Khao Tao, and the little fun fair is being erected, and the krathong launching station is being built around the pier, so it looks as though Loy Krathong will be happening. Either that or its a case of Thai left and right hands again :?
If I were to float one there I would be tempted to tie a raw chicken leg to the krathong to help out the lizard critters living in there. :idea:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are sooooo many fish in the lake at the moment, they don't need chicken. Remember the strange nets I asked about a year ago. There are literally dozens of fishermen/women/kids just throwing those nets into the lake, and pulling them out with 3 or 4 fish entangled almost immediately. Quite incredible to watch.

:offtopic:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I took my usual early morning walk around the lake today. The Krathong launching station was looking good in all of its splendour.
DSC02774.jpg
DSC02774.jpg (177.26 KiB) Viewed 318 times
DSC02775.jpg
DSC02775.jpg (206.74 KiB) Viewed 318 times
On the way in, we did pass the very small fun fair, and there were a couple of roadside tables waiting to to be loaded with Krathongs for sale.

As we finished our walk, and moved towards the little cafe for our morning coffee, the fire brigade had turned up, and were washing the streets/pavements:
DSC02776.jpg
DSC02776.jpg (225.53 KiB) Viewed 318 times
DSC02778.jpg
DSC02778.jpg (221.29 KiB) Viewed 318 times
DSC02780.jpg
DSC02780.jpg (252.64 KiB) Viewed 318 times
DSC02781.jpg
DSC02781.jpg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Finally, as we were departing, there were a few market stalls being set up to sell drinks and clothes.

It is my belief, Khao Tao will be business as usual tonight, minus the big Tessebahn displays and live music,

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thank whoever that I wasn't there.