How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Re: How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Post by buksida »

Yep, in driver training (in the UK at least) we're taught that pedestrians have right of way - in Thailand, it appears to be the opposite, they are bottom of the pile.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

KhunLA wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:07 am I don't think I've ever notice motorist 'routinely' stopping for zebra crossings in any country, simply because someone is standing curbside 'obviously' waiting to cross.
I don't know where you're from, but I grew up in California and it was certainly the case there.

But, California doesn't have the large population of lunatic motorcycle drivers that make every driving situation at least doubly dangerous.

Case in point: The other day I was cycling home. I pulled over to the right and stuck out my arm indicating a right turn. As I waited for the traffic to clear a crazed motorcyclist pulled into the oncoming traffic, smashed into my outstretched arm as he passed me on the right and sped on. Hurt like hell, but I managed to not fall. (Unusual for me.)

Right after that I bought a better rear view mirror for my bike.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

KhunLA wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:07 am I don't think I've ever notice motorist 'routinely' stopping for zebra crossings in any country, simply because someone is standing curbside 'obviously' waiting to cross.
This how I got my first accident in the UK when I had just moved there.
Some stupid car stopped at a zebra crossing, as it is common practice over there to allow people to get to the other side, as I wasn't expecting it I ramed straight into the back of it.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Curious, so I checked, where I was 1st licenced, and this makes sense. PA, USA, and then in TN, USA, drivers are not required to stop, 'UNTIL', pedestrian actually steps off the curb ... which sounds a little silly, and risky if pedestrian isn't paying attention to the speed of approaching vehicles.

Probably why nobody in their right mind does that, until clear to cross without traffic where I come from.

"General Pedestrian Law
Pennsylvania's Vehicle Code details the rights and duties of pedestrians.

Generally, people walking may cross the street at any point, but pedestrians and motorists must understand their responsibilities. Below are the basic laws to follow when crossing the street or driving.

When a pedestrian crosses the street in a crosswalk, the driver must yield.

Drivers are not required to yield until you begin to step into the crosswalk.

Pedestrians should not walk or run unexpectedly into the path of a moving vehicle. Pedestrians should not assume drivers will see or yield. Look left, right, and left again before stepping out.

It is illegal for drivers to pass a vehicle that is stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, as the second driver may not see the pedestrian in the crosswalk.

If a pedestrian crosses the street not at an intersection and there is no crosswalk, the pedestrian must yield to vehicles.

When crossing the street at a signalized intersection, both pedestrians and motorists must obey the traffic-control devices.

These signs and signals help identify who must yield.

When walking along a road with sidewalks and its use is practicable, it is unlawful for any pedestrian to walk along and upon an adjacent roadway."
https://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/Safe ... afety.aspx

Took the liberty to check Tennessee's law, and it's the same, not until pedestrian is IN the crosswalk. With both, common sense on the pedestrian, being responsible to LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing.

"Drivers in TN are required to yield to pedestrians who are in crosswalks. In addition drivers are required by law to exercise due to care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian. Pedestrians should still always look both ways, and careful when walking along or across a road."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 am
OK, I've been gone 10 years now, but it was nearly always the case in the UK.
Pre pandemic I used to return to the UK almost every year and even managed it last year - nothing has changed BB, I’d say at least 8 out of 10 motorists will stop for you at a zebra crossing. Unfortunately it’s a rule we have to quickly forget when returning back as with all the similar rules (e.g. when lanes merge in the UK), it’s an accepted practice by (most) to take turns to filter in - here it’s get out of my way I’m coming through!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

here it’s get out of my way I’m coming through!!
Don't forget to flash your headlights first!

That is another Thai inovation that is completely opposite to what a lot of us know!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

They could always try this when people do not comply with the duty to yield. Excample of fee, Thb 27000,- e.g. do not stop completely at stop signs, traffic from the right, walking in the pedestrian zone :wink:
hahuahin
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I visited HK. At a busy intersection was a cop, sitting on his Harley, The spotless uniform, knee-high black leather boots, tapping his nightstick on his boots. A real kick-ass cop.The traffic was perfect.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Joelle wrote
Some stupid car stopped at a zebra crossing, as it is common practice over there to allow people to get to the other side, as I wasn't expecting it I ramed straight into the back of it.
I do not think the car was stupid it/he was obeying the law, you were in the wrong for hitting him.
More alarming you said your first accident in the UK :shock: How many did you have?
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Back in the UK with my kids, I had to teach them not to linger on the pavement near a zebra crossing. As has been said, drivers will stop automatically if they think someone is waiting to cross.
It is illegal for drivers to pass a vehicle that is stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, as the second driver may not see the pedestrian in the crosswalk.
How many times in Thailand has that happened. Even worse a driver stopped at a red light on the nearside lane when another (and I've seen even the police do this) will go through the red light on the outer lane.
If you stand outside BKK Hospital for an hour, you'll see that happening dozens of times. It's almost the 'norm'
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:17 am
Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 am
OK, I've been gone 10 years now, but it was nearly always the case in the UK.
Pre pandemic I used to return to the UK almost every year and even managed it last year - nothing has changed BB, I’d say at least 8 out of 10 motorists will stop for you at a zebra crossing. Unfortunately it’s a rule we have to quickly forget when returning back as with all the similar rules (e.g. when lanes merge in the UK), it’s an accepted practice by (most) to take turns to filter in - here it’s get out of my way I’m coming through!!
In the channel isles they even have signs 'Filter in Turn' where traffic merges. Not sure if that's the case in the UK today.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 am
here it’s get out of my way I’m coming through!!
Don't forget to flash your headlights first!

That is another Thai inovation that is completely opposite to what a lot of us know!
Actually, that's not a Thai innovation. The rule is the same in the UK but we have learned, quite wrongly, to take a headlight flash as a permission to proceed. It's absolutely against the Highway Code.
The Highway Code states "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there.
Headlight flashing in the United Kingdom is often used as a signal that the driver flashing you is offering to let you go first. Such use is however strongly discouraged because it can lead to accidents where the driver flashing has not seen the approach of another road user
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:03 pm Joelle wrote
I do not think the car was stupid it/he was obeying the law, you were in the wrong for hitting him.
More alarming you said your first accident in the UK :shock: How many did you have?
:wink: :wink: yes I know I was in the wong and the driver of the car was not stupid, :bow: mea culpa I should have been more alert, know about English behaviour and respect of the law (then, a long time ago !), but was 21, pregnant and in a hurry (although no excuse)
Had 2 more
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Actually, that's not a Thai innovation. The rule is the same in the UK but we have learned, quite wrongly, to take a headlight flash as a permission to proceed. It's absolutely against the Highway Code.
What did I post, and what makes it right in Thailand and wrong in other places?
In Australia it is an invitation to the other bloke to procced first. It is a courtesy, definitely NOT something that you are likely see here!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:20 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:03 pm Joelle wrote
:wink: :wink: yes I know I was in the wong and the driver of the car was not stupid, :bow: mea culpa I should have been more alert, know about English behaviour and respect of the law (then, a long time ago !), but was 21, pregnant and in a hurry (although no excuse)
Had 2 more
Babies or accidents :duck: