Actors who play a version of themselves

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
PeteC

Actors who play a version of themselves

Post by PeteC »

Dtaai-Maai brought up the below point about Bruce Willis:
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:32 am I remember Moonlighting.
I've enjoyed quite a few Willis films, but he's one of a number of film actors who have spent most of their time playing a version of themselves, and as he's got older the standards have fallen. He's in his late 60s, and I wish him well in his retirement. He can certainly afford it. :D
Who are other actors who use this technique? It's going to take some thought, at least for me. A quick thought is that it must be one of the less difficult methods of acting. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Actors who play a version of themselves

Post by dtaai-maai »

Schwarzenegger, Cruise, Neeson, Statham, Seagal, Ford and an awful lot of other action movie heroes come within that category. A lot of comic actors too. But it's not easy to act in front of a camera and make it seem - even relatively - natural/normal, so kudos to anyone who manages to be successful.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've never acted, except in real life trying to convince my kids or customers of something. I have huge respect for those who can do it well and reach the pinnacle of their profession.

I would have to immerse myself in the character and actually become him if any chance at all to be convincing. Changing into another person for months on a movie set, or perhaps years on the stage must be a daunting task.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:44 am I've never acted, except in real life trying to convince my kids or customers of something. I have huge respect for those who can do it well and reach the pinnacle of their profession.

I would have to immerse myself in the character and actually become him if any chance at all to be convincing. Changing into another person for months on a movie set, or perhaps years on the stage must be a daunting task.
I think the danger would be, becoming a fictitious person in real life.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:40 am I think the danger would be, becoming a fictitious person in real life.
I reckon social media allows most people to do that nowdays anyway ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:13 am
handdrummer wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:40 am I think the danger would be, becoming a fictitious person in real life.
I reckon social media allows most people to do that nowdays anyway ... :duck:
Give that man a cigar!

I have this fantasy about going on a date, to a restaurant, with a woman who's addicted to social media (anti-social media). Her mobile phone buzzes, she opens the app, I say, excuse me and while she's looking at the phone, I leave the restaurant.