2022 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: 2022 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by pharvey »

Well, far and away from what I (and many others) expected - certainly in the first half of the race!! :shock:

Farcical start (or lack of) delaying the race and ultimately reducing the duration and laps - major effect on tyre wear/longevity/selection. Of course the rain weather having a major influence, BUT the race should have been started before it did.
"Rolling Starts" vs "Standing Starts" - the latter should certainly have been in play, not too sure why they weren't. The former suiting the leaders (Ferrari), but the Scuderia totally fecked up on tactics and lost the race yet again for Leclerc - Christ, you've got to feel sorry for him!! Red BS took advantage of Ferrari's errors rather than them being superior.

Despite positioning, Mercedes actually looked good for speed - certainly promising. The Monaco circuit however certainly isn't great for overtaking and Alpine's/Alonso's tactics certainly stuffed any racing beyond 6th place. That said, all teams would have done the same if on the other foot.

Anywho, to the results and HHF Prediction League.... :thumb:

Certainly not a lot in it this round - thought I'd wait on qualifying to make my "Forum Beating Picks" :wink: , but that didn't really work out as planned..... I blame the Scuderia personally!! :roll:
Monaco-GP-Result.jpg
(194.17 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
HHF-Monaco.jpg
HHF-Monaco.jpg (62.55 KiB) Viewed 518 times
HHF-F1-Overall.jpg
HHF-F1-Overall.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 518 times
And Parahandy with the Wooden Spoon!! :shock: Makes things close in the Top Three!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Leclerc is not going to be a happy bunny this morning......
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Well I never! (as they say in Suffolk). The potion worked... :D
I've offered Mr.VS a dirty sock to wear on his head instead of the pristine yellow cap, but he gave me that look.
VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Vital Spark wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:42 am Well I never! (as they say in Suffolk). The potion worked... :D
I've offered Mr.VS a dirty sock to wear on his head instead of the pristine yellow cap, but he gave me that look.
VS :wink:
Try the potion again!!

Well, after the Free Practice sessions, other than the four cars of the Scuderia and Red BS being way ahead of the pack and nothing much between the four of them..... Making predictions is hit-or-miss to say the least!

Qualifying sessions beginning 18:00 (local time) this afternoon.

Streams have so far been good on footybite.com

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I've recently used this stream. So far it has been working perfectly.

https://f1livegp.me/f1/live3.html
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:38 pm I've recently used this stream. So far it has been working perfectly.

https://f1livegp.me/f1/live3.html
:thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As was pretty much certain from Free Practice, the Scuderia and Red BS way ahead. Crashappen a tad stroppy in not bettering 4th on the grid after not being able to take advantage of a tow from Perez late in the session.

Disappointing from McLaren after Free Practice, but Mercedes looking better despite lack of speed on the long straights - inevitably though, there's going to be a couple of flags during the race!
BAKU-F1-Quali.jpg
(187.15 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ouch, what a nightmare afternoon for the Scuderia with both Leclerc and Sainz out with power unit/mechanical issues - Zhou (Alpha) and Magnussen (Hass) also out with Ferrari power unit issues..... :shock:

That gave a walk-in for a Red BS 1-2 and a big hit for the Scuderia in the Championship Table(s). Mercedes will certainly be happy with their 3-4 finish though - a damn sight better than was expected.... :thumb:

Full Race Results: -
BAKU-F1-Result.jpg
(191.4 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
HHF-F1 2022: -

Congrats to JJBones on the Yellow Cap which means he increases his lead at the top of the table :roll: :wink: ....
HHF-F1.jpg
HHF-F1.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 455 times
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Go Red Bull Also kind of a victory for Red Bull in F2 too. Prema racing with Red Bull driver Dennis Hauger won the feature race!

YNWA

YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A small rant:

The TV commentary that we get here is professionally presented by Martin Brundle, and I believe, David Croft, with a cross to Paul Di Riesta on occasions as required.

And THEN, there is Karun Chandhok! WHY oh WHY is this jabbering idiot given air time? Not only is his accent irritating, his knowledge of what is going on is based on his own inflated ego, which reflects his past failures as a driver! I guess that the only thing worse would be having Mike Brewer! :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Why Red Bull doesn't suffer as much as others with porpoising:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... JPZqF.html

YNWA
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Valtteri Bottas: Alfa Romeo driver says 'porpoising' is 'getting quite serious'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/61809406

Someone is going to get hurt, or the season is going to be shortened IMO.

If the F1 rules weren't wrapped up so tight where you can't drive or test anything except at official times and places, this design flaw would never have seen the light of day. Each team would of/should of tested everything on their own home tracks before the season even started. F1 creates it's own mess. :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

No doubt Homer and Red BS will find something to bitch about over this......

FIA Outlines Plans to Tackle 'Porpoising' After Drivers Express Concerns

"Formula 1's governing body the FIA says it is taking steps on safety grounds to reduce the high-speed bouncing that has affected drivers this season.

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton described the Azerbaijan Grand Prix as the "most painful" he had experienced and many of his rivals have also raised concerns.

The FIA has now issued a technical directive to teams setting out how it plans to tackle 'porpoising'.

The ninth round of the 2022 season takes place in Canada this weekend.

In a statement, the governing body said it decided to intervene following "consultation with its doctors in the interests of safety of the drivers".

It added: "In a sport where the competitors are routinely driving at speeds in excess of 300km/h, it is considered that all of a driver's concentration needs to be focused on that task and that excessive fatigue or pain experienced by a driver could have significant consequences should it result in a loss of concentration.

"In addition, the FIA has concerns in relation to the immediate physical impact on the health of the drivers, a number of whom have reported back pain following recent events.""

Full Report @ https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61833829
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What can they do at this point in the season? From an engineering viewpoint I don't think anything can be done. The machines need to go back to the sheds for a redesign/rebuild and that won't happen this season, unless they cancel some races from the schedule. They won't do that because of contracted commitments.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:17 pm What can they do at this point in the season? From an engineering viewpoint I don't think anything can be done. The machines need to go back to the sheds for a redesign/rebuild and that won't happen this season, unless they cancel some races from the schedule. They won't do that because of contracted commitments.
Well, too late this season realistically. Then there's the question over the "Financial Cap" - brought in to give a more even playing field, but if we're looking at design changes (or going back), additional money needs to be there. F1 the FIA just seem to be stuffing things at the moment - obviously Liberty Media, their financial clout and influence are not helping things IMHO.