Nation's League 2022-23

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Nation's League 2022-23

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:09 pm Don't forget, most careers are over by the time they get to their early 30s. Plenty of time off then.
I think we're going to see players playing into their mid to late thirties more frequently over the next decade. Elite players are pushing the age boundaries more and more helped by the latest tech, nutrition and fitness regimes. I think Modric was 32 when he won the Ballon d'or and at 36 he's still putting in some sublime shifts. Karim Benzema looks a shoe in for that same title this year of 'best player in the world' and he's 34. We've got Ronaldo, Messi, Ibrahimovic, Bale, Lewandowski (who is, at 33, looking for a move to Barcelona) the list goes on.

Players that don't rely on explosive pace alone (which is usually the cause of injuries and niggles down the line) have proven that, at 30, you may not have even peaked yet.

Kane will be banging them in at spurs till he's 40. :mrgreen:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did say "Most." There will always be exceptions.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:48 pm I did say "Most." There will always be exceptions.
Yes you did. My point being, maybe illustrated poorly, is I don't think we'll be calling players playing into their mid/late 30s 'exceptions' for much longer.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.