Foreigner faces prison for Parrot fishing in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Foreigner faces prison for Parrot fishing in Thailand

Post by PeteC »

Here we go, the witch hunt is on and the lynch mob is already formed. Did anyone think or mention the possibility that he is simply a tourist approached by a vendor outside his hotel to go fishing for the day? Do hotels, Thai Immigration or any other authority give out photos of "don't catch these fish.." or, "don't go fishing with someone you don't know and trust?" Or, "Don't go fishing in these places..." :roll:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/f ... n-thailand (Photos and other source links)

The foreigner seen parrotfishing in the sea off Thailand is facing a five-year prison sentence and a 20,000 baht fine if he is caught.

A TikTok video clip of the man emerged on social media yesterday with three parrotfishes, one moray eel, and two other unidentified fish in Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park in Krabi province, causing outrage among Thai netizens who demanded he is severely punished.

Netizens slammed the foreigner stating his actions are against the law and were destroying the marine ecosystem.

One outraged netizen on Twitter said…

“Catching animals in the park area is wrong. How can you still catch a parrotfish that is a protected animal? Parrotfish are very important in the marine ecosystem. They also help to get rid of dead corals. The person who did this has to take responsibility. I want to help with this matter.”

The post has been retweeted more than 20,000 times

Many others wanted not only the foreigner punished but the authorities who don’t punish the offenders.

One said…

“I’m angry, my sister is important to the underwater ecosystem. They eat dead coral to prevent algae from covering the coral again. Even if I’m a tourist, I don’t have the right to kill and catch animals like this. Parrotfish live well under the sea for people to go diving to see.”

The Department of National Parks Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) made it known they are looking for the man seen catching parrotfish in Krabi province.

DNP director-general Ratchada Suriyakul na Ayutthaya said department officials, Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park, and Marine and Coastal Resources Office 10, have collected evidence and compared it with the video clip on the TikTok account @roslanofficia, which features several adventure-themed activities.

Ratchada said…

“The officials are currently searching for the suspect to take legal action against him. The foreigner will face charges of harming or taking animals away from the national park area, and/or causing damage to the ecosystem, under the National Park Act BE 2562 (2019).”

Section 16(3) states: Takes an animal out or harms it by any means, to be dangerous to animals, as well as Section 21. The official shall have the power to order the offender under Section 16 to leave the boundary of a national park or to refrain from any act. in the national park which is considered an offense under Section 24.

Any person who violates section 16(3) shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years. or a fine not 20,000 baht or both.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Foreigner faces prison for Parrot fishing in Thailand

Post by PeteC »

Stories like the above have me incensed. Anyone who has ever stayed at a seaside hotel here know that they all have activity desks, and if you don't like what's on offer you just walk out the front door and you'll find a dozen or more offers for everything from fishing, paragliding, jet skiing, jungle 4 x 4 trips...endless selection.

There is no mention of the boat owner/driver who took this guy to where he was fishing, no other details at all, but lets bloody hang the foreigner quickly. Release the hounds! :banghead:

If I was a potential tourist contemplating coming to this country, especially if I was interested in fishing, I would tell them to go blow smoke up their own arses after reading the reporting on this event. Hello....TOURIST SLUMP CONTINUES!

The Press here needs to get a grip and report objectively, and TAT and others in Gov. should be telling them that. They need to find and publish ALL the details, or nothing, and stop reporting like a rag newspaper looking for a sensational reaction to get them more readership. Idiots, if they want tourism to return to pre-Covid levels.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I still stand by my previous comments, until such time he confesses that he was informed of the rules prior to the fishing trip. He will be a scapegoat unfortunately I think.

Foreigner faces prison for parrotfishing in Thailand

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/f ... thailand-2

The foreign parrotfisher has been caught and detained by police in Phuket, southern Thailand, and faces legal action. Thailand’s Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Warawut Silpa-archa made the following statement this morning…

“Yesterday, August 15, at 3:30pm, Roslan Benedia of Dutch nationality was detained and questioned at a police station in Phuket over a video he posted on his TikTok account @roslanofficial. Roslan and the boat caption teamed up to hunt. In the TikTok clip, he is stood on a boat holding up two parrotfish, three unknown fish and a speared moray eel hanging from a knife.”

“Roslan confessed that he rented a long-tailed boat from Koh Phi Phi Don and travelled on it to Koh Phi Phi Leh, with Risana Tordting, the captain of the boat. He confessed he rented a speargun from someone at Koh Phi Phi Don and used it to hunt fish at Koh Phi Phi Leh at around 1pm on August 9, 2022. He claims he didn’t know the area was a national park.”

“Officers from Phi Phi Police Station are collecting evidence and will prosecute Roslan according to the law. The boat owner, boat service and speargun renter are also under investigation.”

On Saturday, Roslan apologised for hunting the protected species of fish.

SOURCE: Matichon
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Another point IMO, he was only caught because he made and published a video of himself. A guilty person wouldn't have done something stupid like that, hopefully.

Further, how many more tourists rent the same boats and make the same trips that he did not being informed of the fishing rules and national park status of Pee Pee Leh. I would say hundreds a year pre-covid.

The boatmen and equipment rental companies are not going to give up the business if they can get away with it.