Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: Covid-19 News (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Post by Big Boy »

As far as I can see, Thailand has stopped reporting it's national Covid figures since 1st October, although provincial stats are still being made available.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Yes on their site ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/ it says I quote (translated from google) :
{From October 1, 2022, COVID-19 has been adjusted to be a communicable disease that requires surveillance in accordance with the Communicable Diseases Act B.E. 2558 (2015), which requires weekly reports of the disease. The first weekly report will begin on October 3, 2022 onwards.}
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Right, so my observation of no daily report was correct :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just returned to Thailand after an extended stay in the UK where masks and other regulations were dropped a long time ago, although you would still occasionally see people wearing masks. The flight back to Thailand was largely mask free, so it was quite a surprise that at immigration this morning in Tha Yang, masks were required. Then on the way back we stopped at Kasikorn in Cha Am, where although I didn’t see a sign saying so, again everyone was wearing a mask, not only that but the guard on the door went over to a woman who was sitting in a seat with a X and asked her to move. It’s obviously going to take a long time before Thailand becomes free of all Covid restrictions.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise on the UK, most countries are over covid and moving on. Thailand is still cowering from it while the power mongers (be they dictators, shop owners, or security guards) still enjoy telling people what to do and when - its all about control and always ever was.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Today I needed to visit Thai Watsadu the one located between Cha Am and Hua Hin. All the reporting restrictions were gone as you enter so I thought to myself that we were moving towards the new world order re Covid, but walking around at about 11 am, so it was moderately busy, I don’t think I saw any other person than myself, not wearing a mask and not surprisingly, a few mask wearers gave me looks that I assume were “why are you not wearing a mask you dirty farang”!!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Covid is over! We've all had more than enough of it. Surely the time has come to remove this subject from the forum and start threads about important subjects.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

If Thais are continuing to wear masks, that is because they choose to and for no other reason. I was in Bkk last week and I would say almost 100% of Thais are wearing masks in the area's I visited, including the BTS. The only ones that weren't were the few obvious foreign tourists I saw. And they did stand out. The only proviso to that is I don't visit bars and nightclubs.

Walking in the street, in Malls, in restaurants, in IKEA, it was masks as usual. Pretty much like Hua Hin, as far as I can tell.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have noticed that more and more (not a lot but an increasing minority) are discarding their masks. Mostly tourists but Thais are beginning to follow suit. Several in MV yesterday and I've noticed several Thais mask free in my local 7/11.
Even my local market there are about 20-30% of stall holders didn't have masks, although the majority of customers were still fully masked.

A slow process but considering that wearing a mask is nothing new here, it will take time.
PGS

Post by PGS »

No longer need to show proof of vax or negative atk test on arrival at Swampy. Moving in the right direction. 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thailand finds 3 new subvariants, 4th in Hong Kong from Thai travellers

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai ... travellers

Three new Covid-19 subvariants have been found within Thailand’s borders according to Thai scientists. The global scientific community believes that the subvariants in the group found in the kingdom will become the dominant strains of Covid within the next few months. A separate strain, XBB, was found in three passengers from Thailand in Hong Kong, despite the variant not being identified in the kingdom yet.

The BF.7, BN.1, and BA.2.75.2 subvariants were found through genomic surveillance in studies conducted by Ramathibodi Hospital’s Centre for Medical Genomics. They were found in samples that were gathered from people within Thailand, though not in big numbers according to the National News Bureau of Thailand.

There was only one case of the BN.1 subvariant found, two people infected with the BF.7 subvariant, and three infections of the B.2.75.2 strain. The three strains are all related as part of a subvariant group of the Omicron variant that swept the world previously. These are newer strains from a group that also includes the BQ.1.1, BA.2.3.30, and XBB subvariants, the last of which was recently found in Hong Kong in travellers from Thailand.

The Department of Disease Control is pursuing information through International Health Regulations about those travellers. Few details have been released about the three passengers, including if they were Thai natives or foreigners and if they were originating in Thailand or just passing through in transit.

Hong Kong has found 29 XBB infections so far, with 24 of them caught upon entry at the international airport. The remaining five were identified within two days of their arrival into the special administrative region. The majority of those infected were from Singapore where Covid infections have nearly quadrupled in the past week and are predicted to rise to double or triple agaishortlyre.

The XBB strain found in those Thai passengers has not yet been uncovered within Thailand’s borders, and authorities are stepping up efforts to detect it. Health officials have ordered samples be taken from travellers from Hong Kong, Singapore, and other XBB-infected nations. And Thai PBS World reported that international airports are increasing general monitoring.

These new subvariants have between 200 and 2,000 infections in the GISAID database that tracks the pandemic worldwide, but scientists believe they will surpass the BA.5 subvariant as the dominant strain soon. They worry most about the ultra-resistant BA.5.2.1.7 and BF.7 strains. Those subvariants have been proliferating in Asia, Europe, and North America and are worrisome because they evade antibody treatments, vaccines, and previous infections.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

2,616 Covid-19 in-patients, 40 fatalities last week

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -last-week

There were 1,616 new Covid-19 in-patients and 40 related deaths recorded last week and health officials are warning of the need to continue with protection measures while taking part in traditional kathin festivals.

This was especially necessary when near people in the "608 group", who were most at risk, deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisoranakul said on Monday.

The 608 group comprises people of 60 years or more, infants, pregnant women and those with any of several chronic illnesses.

The Department of Disease Control reported that 2,616 Covid-19 infections, an average of 373 per day, were admitted for treatment in hospitals during the period Oct 16-22, compared to 2,234, an average of 319, the previous week.

There were 40 coronavirus-related deaths, about five per day, compared to 53, about seven per day, the preceding week.

The number of accumulated deaths since Jan 1 to the present time was 11,224.

As of Oct 22, a total of 142,838,676 doses of Covid vaccine had been administered to people - 57,029,784 first jabs, 53,522,364 second shots and 32,286,527 third and additional boosters.

Ms Traisuree said although the Covid-19 situation was steadily improving, with declining new infections, reports of the XBB variant of Covid-19 spreading in Singapore, Hong Kong and some European countries led the Ministry of Public Health to continue attaching importance to giving vaccine to people to build up immunity and reduce severe illnesses and deaths.

The ministry was concerned about the crowds of people taking part in kathin festivals during October-November. People, particularly those in the 608 group, were advised to strictly follow desease prevention measures, including mask-wearing in enclosed areas without proper ventilation, she said.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand tourism situation

Post by caller »

Not sure whether to put this here or elsewhere. Feel free to move as required.

Was in central chit lom in Bkk earlier. In the supermarket, they were handing out those cheap plastic gloves for use and new 'social distancing' warnings have appeared on the flooring.

Two things to think about here. Do they already know the numbers of Chinese arrivals likely to arrive and are planning for an anticipated surge in covid, and/or is the election a factor?

Anyone that has travelled on the BTS recently, will be aware of the announcements in English asking everyone to co-operate in wearing a mask, which in view of the environment, I fully support. But it's largely ignored by tourists (in my experience). Again, this is an issue for many Thais (understandably). Is this a factor in the new rules - to paraphrase Cameron (I think), 'tough on covid, tough on the causes of covid'!
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Post by sateeb »

Don't know how reliable this source is but if true more flip flops by this shower than on Copacabana beach.
https://crisis24.garda.com/alerts/2023/ ... -update-77
Thai authorities rescinded tightened entry requirements for arriving travelers Jan. 9. Travelers are no longer required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.

Domestic Measures
All provinces are under the least stringent green zones, which have minimum gathering and business restrictions. Organizers of gatherings involving more than 2,000 people must notify local health authorities. Night-time entertainment venues may operate, though pubs and clubs will be allowed to serve alcohol only through 02:00 nightly. Officials continue encouraging people to wear facemasks in crowded locations or venues with poor ventilation.

Authorities require people who contract COVID-19 to isolate at their residences for five days; affected individuals are encouraged to monitor their symptoms for an additional five days. The enforcement level of the policy varies by province.

Advice
Follow all official instructions. Abide by national health and safety measures. Reconfirm all travel arrangements. Consider delaying traveling if experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19, as they may prompt increased scrutiny and delays. Liaise with trusted contacts for further updates and guidance. Maintain contact with your diplomatic representation. Ensure contingency plans account for further disruptive measures or extensions of current restrictions. Reconsider and reconfirm nonemergency health appointments.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
electricwarrior

Re: Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Post by electricwarrior »

Isn't it time to take a step back from all this Covid hysteria. As far as I am aware people without serious underlying health issues are not dropping dead and the current Flu strain (in the UK, don't know about elsewhere) is causing more hospitalizations than C19.

Bottom line, if travelling bring your vaccine records.
Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.