Dragon Boat Racing, Khao Tao Lake - CANCELLED

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Dragon Boat Racing, Khao Tao Lake - CANCELLED

Post by Big Boy »

29th and 30th October. The event will be viewable from all around the lake. If like previous Dragon Boat events at the lake, there will be something to see through all daylight hours, both days.

A very colourful event, which is well worth a look. Amazingly, I looked back at some of my old photos of the event, and couldn't believe how much Khao Tao had changed. I'll certainly be taking a look.

20130925_084259.jpg
20130925_084259.jpg (325.76 KiB) Viewed 967 times
20130925_085108.jpg
20130925_085108.jpg (244.98 KiB) Viewed 967 times
20130925_084631.jpg
20130925_084631.jpg (234.81 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Dragon Boat Racing, Khao Tao Lake

Post by joelle »

From your previous experience is it easy or chaotic to park the car ? Any tips on best place to park ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Parking is never easy at Khao Tao when there is an event on. There is a temple just before the lake which can accomodate quite a few cars. Personally, I will get there by 10am and there should be roadside parking available at that time. It's a small village, used to big events, and traffic control is usually quite good.

It is quite a spectacle, but unless you're a dedicated Dragon Boat watcher, it's the type of event where you go, watch a few races, take a few souvenir photos and leave again. There will plenty of viewing places i.e. the (wheelchair friendly) walkway goes right around the lake. You should have no problem getting close up to some boats and their colourful crews.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:15 pm Parking is never easy at Khao Tao when there is an event on. There is a temple just before the lake which can accomodate quite a few cars. Personally, I will get there by 10am and there should be roadside parking available at that time. It's a small village, used to big events, and traffic control is usually quite good.

It is quite a spectacle, but unless you're a dedicated Dragon Boat watcher, it's the type of event where you go, watch a few races, take a few souvenir photos and leave again. There will plenty of viewing places i.e. the (wheelchair friendly) walkway goes right around the lake. You should have no problem getting close up to some boats and their colourful crews.
:thanks:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Very disappointing if correct (I have no official confirmation yet), but I am seeing chatter that this event has been cancelled - no reason given. :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's taken a while, but I've just found this in a local publication:
LONG BOAT RACING AT KHAO TAO CANCELLED!!

In a disappointing development, news has just come to hand that the long-awaited return of long boat paddlers to Hua Hin’s scenic Khao Tao Lake, announced for October 29/30, won’t be happening.
After initial enquiries suggested at least 12 boats were ready to race, a later report has described funding issues being behind the event’s cancellation.
With long boat racing now happening at a variety of venues around the country, let’s hope this is a delay rather than the local demise of this popular very colorful traditional sport.

Points 48; Position 20