VR headsets

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

VR headsets

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:16 pm Was just waiting for the 4k to stick in the vr bigscreen.
So what are you using? Had a look at a few headsets, but not really any the wiser... :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:22 pm
Lost wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:16 pm Was just waiting for the 4k to stick in the vr bigscreen.
So what are you using? Had a look at a few headsets, but not really any the wiser... :oops:
(off topic mods, sorry :D )

I use a meta quest 2 which is £400. Was 300 but they put the price up. For the hardware you get, it's a loss financially for meta but they wanted eyes in headsets! Other companies complained that they couldn't be competitive with that price, hence the price raise.

Meta quest Pro has just come out which is around £1500. More for work related stuff than gaming. Better field of vision, definition, lighter etc and uses pancake lenses which will definitely reduce some of the glare you unfortunately experience with the Quest 2.

For gaming, I'd like to upgrade to the PSVR2 having just purchased the ps5. So you're looking at around £1200 all in for that combo. Some hella amazing games on offer including resident evil village.

There are other headsets out there like Pico, HTC Vive... all quite pricey around the grand mark. All slightly better than the Q2 on stats but much more on price. The Quest 2 is a very decently priced entry level headset that would give you a good insight into the vr world. It's one of the few standalone headset that needs no computer or console. Needs no fb login now, just a meta login. Best bet is finding somewhere you can try some headsets on, play some games, use some applications and see if it's for you.

I rarely use my quest for gaming now but it's my go-to for a good movie. Nothing like watching on a cinema screen in your own home. I'd like to upgrade to something with better FOV and less glare but, just to watch movies, the price doesn't seem worth it. The PSVR2, if I do upgrade for gaming, may have less glare for movie watching anywho.

Video of bigscreen below. I don't have/invite all those other avatars/users in my cinema (or home theatre, balcony, bedroom, drive-in...). Can't think of anything worse. Just me and the screen. :D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by pharvey »

Added apologies Mods - maybe a new thread for these questions? "VR Headsets, What's Best - Are They Worth It?"

"lost" - cheers.. The £400 is far more to my budget rather than the £1K + as is for the new systems. Zero interest in game play or the Meta-verse, simply more for 3D, movies shows etc - what about sound though?

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: VR headsets

Post by Lost »

Sound is fairly decent from the headset of the Q2. There are soundpacks you can attach for better quality, think they're about £80. I just use headphones, mind. Bluetooth headphones are not yet perfected with the headset, a second or more time delay, but I'm sure later updates will fix that.

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I think many folk get over the novelty of the vr pretty quick and it becomes an expensive dust catcher. I still love it, particularly for movies, but even the movies may not be for everyone because of the lens glare. So, worth trying to find somewhere with a set up to have a good go on, see if it's for you.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Cheers blue - I'll definately be taking a good look before handing out a wedge of money (which I shouldn't be spending), but was just interested to get the basics and a bit more knowledge from those who have had experience.

Are you restricted to just the movies that are provided through the supplier or subscription? Or can you download/play your own movies (even if you have to change format)?
When you say you use headphones, are they plug-in (USB/3mm) or Bluetooth?

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:16 am ^ Cheers blue - I'll definately be taking a good look before handing out a wedge of money (which I shouldn't be spending), but was just interested to get the basics and a bit more knowledge from those who have had experience.

Are you restricted to just the movies that are provided through the supplier or subscription? Or can you download/play your own movies (even if you have to change format)?

With Bluetooth there's always a delay & limited range, with RF, there's no delay and you can use them from room to room.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:16 am ^ Cheers blue - I'll definately be taking a good look before handing out a wedge of money (which I shouldn't be spending), but was just interested to get the basics and a bit more knowledge from those who have had experience.

I download from yts and upload the movies through the laptop to the vr. You've got Netflix, YouTube, Prime etc on there if you have subscriptions to those. There's a load of free videos/movies to watch and updated pretty often. Headphones-3mm plug-in.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:27 am

With Bluetooth there's always a delay & limited range, with RF, there's no delay and you can use them from room to room.
Not always a delay (or anything noticeable anyway). Watching movies with bt headphones from my laptop is fine, no noticeable delay. My TV the same. My phone, a second or so delay. VR headset same.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:30 pm I download from yts and upload the movies through the laptop to the vr. You've got Netflix, YouTube, Prime etc on there if you have subscriptions to those. There's a load of free videos/movies to watch and updated pretty often. Headphones-3mm plug-in.

:cheers: :thumb: