Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, that's what I'm after in Thailand, a reasonably priced electric car and solar charging on the carport.
There seems to be a fixation on the negatives of electric cars but being able to drive around for free is a pretty large advantage.
Range isn't a problem for me, I don't think I've driven more than 200km in a day in the last five years, I fly or use trains or buses for long journeys.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although Thailand has a few BEV’s that are reasonably priced, the current range is pretty limited - anything not made here or under a special trade agreement is prohibitively expensive- hopefully this will improve over the next few years.

Solar charging is a bonus, just a pity that they don’t offer incentives to go down this route like buy-back when you have a surplus - again, hopefully this will improve in time.

As for long distance travelling, as most will be aware, the options to fly to/from HH are extremely limited and currently train travel is frustratingly slow - again, hopefully this will improve in time.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I looked at Phev’s from many manufacturers back here in the UK and decided that it wasn’t worth buying one for the extra few miles I’d be getting, so went the full EV route by buying a Kia Soul 68 KWH First Edition.
We have an EVSE charge system at home, so get to charge up on cheap electric (5ppKwh) every night.
The wife uses it the most on school runs etc with the occasional trip to Heathrow of 250 miles. In warmer weather she has done journeys of just over 300 miles without needing to charge.
After just over 18 months she’s done 33,000 miles and not counting depreciation, insurance or servicing, it’s worked out at around 1 pence per mile so far in “fuel”. This includes the savings that come from regenerative braking that saves a fair bit of electric energy.

Carrying around an ICE motor + fuel, and an electric motor + battery just seems counter productive IMHO.
For those with money, Range Rover have just announced that they are selling their new Range Rover Phev with a v 3.6 ice engine with a battery that will go for up to 70 miles on electric alone.

Full BEV’s are coming down in price, even Tesla has just knocked £10k off the price of many models. Even Chinese EV models are becoming the norm now.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Downward price trend, together with upward mileage range = happy customers!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m a fan of EV cars, certainly in principle, but this article highlights some of the issues that need to be overcome before they can be considered suitable for everyone (well almost everyone).

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/moto ... r-25989706

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:08 pm I’m a fan of EV cars, certainly in principle, but this article highlights some of the issues that need to be overcome before they can be considered suitable for everyone (well almost everyone).

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/moto ... r-25989706

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That article is completely irrelevant to owning an EV in Thailand. Right now, with govt incentives, they are very affordable, with quality BEV starting at ฿771k. Along with charging at home or on the road is easy, accessible and inexpensive compared to that article. Holidays, if crazy enough to drive then, you may have Q at charging station, IF, you don't reserve ahead.

Only reason, excuse not to own an EV, IMHO, is those folks that want to drive 120 kph, get there as fast as possible, and don't mind driving more the 3 hrs at a stretch, and have no patience to take a 45 min break, to top up, stretch, eat, check your internet, booking, search a restaurant at your destination.

When we top up on the road, the car is done before I am, doing the above. OR ... just get a hybrid, and enjoy the best of both worlds
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Khunt.A wrote
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:35 pm Khunt.A wrote
Only reason, excuse not to own an EV, IMHO, is those folks that want to drive 120 kph, get there as fast as possible, and don't mind driving more the 3 hrs at a stretch, and have no patience to take a 45 min break, to top up, stretch, eat, check your internet, booking, search a restaurant at your destination.
You missed find a place to charge battery. A car should get me from A to B without worry about how far it will go on one charge. I often drive up to 350/400 miles one stop to fill up, why would I need to wast 45 minutes all it does is add times to the journey. Electric cars are useless until thee is a good system of recharging fast and longer distances.
:cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A car should get me from A to B without worry about how far it will go on one charge....
It needs to do it without destroying the planet that we live on.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:16 am
A car should get me from A to B without worry about how far it will go on one charge....
And therefore we need technological solutions to the issues - I’m sure they’re coming, but the sooner the better, as it will help encourage the doubters to make the transition.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Dannie Boy wrote
And therefore we need technological solutions to the issues - I’m sure they’re coming, but the sooner the better, as it will help encourage the doubters to make the transition.
I agree, how ever, the technology is not advancing s fast as they hoped. The bigger problem is the charging , if you do not have a house with a drive how will you charge your car overnight.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Another problem is affordability, and that's new cars in general.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And how is the electricity produced that power these oh so clean vehicles - not to mention the minerals/metals/mining for the batteries? Hmmmm.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:29 am Dannie Boy wrote
I agree, how ever, the technology is not advancing s fast as they hoped. The bigger problem is the charging , if you do not have a house with a drive how will you charge your car overnight.
Without a doubt, affordable readily available charging is one of the biggest issues - the post I included above highlights that most fast charging facilities are roughly three times the cost of charging at home, so if you have to rely on charging stations (which in the UK are currently not sufficiently available and/or working), those that are available become more expensive to “fill up” than a car with an ICE. Battery technology may help reduce the range anxiety and Solid State batteries are supposedly quicker to charge - as I said before - the quicker the technology develops the better, otherwise adoption will remain below government targets.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 am
And how is the electricity produced that power these oh so clean vehicles - not to mention the minerals/metals/mining for the batteries? Hmmmm.....
The whole world could have been pretty much powered by renewable energy by now if it hadn't been for the vested interests of the fossil fuel companies.
If the boomer generation wasn't prepared to change, it's time for them to get out of the way before it's too late.