Correct detergent for front-loading washing machine, western style

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Correct detergent for front-loading washing machine, western style

Post by Ralfredo »

Hi!

We have an ordinary front-loading washing machine of western style, something similar to this one:
rsz_screenshot_from_2023-01-23_15-26-17.png
rsz_screenshot_from_2023-01-23_15-26-17.png (192.81 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
We usually use washing powder similar to this:
rsz_screenshot_from_2023-01-23_15-24-50.png
rsz_screenshot_from_2023-01-23_15-24-50.png (296.07 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Our gardener always complains and tells us we are using the wrong type of washing powder. Is he correct? If so, what should we use instead?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Correct detergent for front-loading washing machine, western style

Post by handdrummer »

It would be better to use a liquid, but the cleaning power is the same. The problem with powder is that it doesn't always completely dissolve and can get trapped in your clothes, also, if it doesn't dissolve it can get stuck in parts of the machine. One way to solve that problem is to dissolve the powder in water before putting it in the machine.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Even with the liquid, there is a specific type for front loading machines. Be guided by a Thai and/or the picture on the front of the soap container. The problem with using the wrong type is that top loading machine soap often produces too much suds when used in front loaders, and the electronic sensors don't handle that well causing draining and spinning problems.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Certainly you load your washing through the front but does it not have a marked "door" or opening of some kind on the top where the washing powder or liquid is specified to go? It would then be released into the wash at a set time during the wash cycle. Machines do vary of course. Nowadays (in the west) people use those pods a lot and those are tossed in through the front-loading door along with the wash.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s a long time since I bought washing powder in Thailand, but most of the powders used to have a washing machine symbol - a picture of either a front-loader or a top-loader?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:34 am It’s a long time since I bought washing powder in Thailand, but most of the powders used to have a washing machine symbol - a picture of either a front-loader or a top-loader?

As does the bag of powder pictured above. Top loader soap. The liquid bottles and bottle refills have a symbol/picture now also. Some have both top and front loader pictured, but I've been told by a washer repair man to try to stay away from that and get one specifically showing front loader only. "Breeze" is one soap manufacturer that have that. The powder pictured above is a "Breeze" product.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Your gardener is right, I believe top loaders don't use hotwater and the powder accounts for this.

Brand looks like IU7 but obviously Thai word , also green bag but in the bottom right is a photo of a toploader machine. I buy mine from G supermarket.
Last edited by Pagey on Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Tried adding a photo from my mobile but not successful ! Look for the photo of front loader on the bottom right of the bag.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

This was far more complicated than I ever imagined! To conclude the subject. Detergent for top-loading machines is wrong for front-loading ones! My gardener is right, and I have been using the wrong detergent for many years. Now I'm going to look for a front-loading machine symbol on the package.

I found a rather lengthy article on the subject, confirming what everyone says.
https://www.electrolux.co.th/en-th/blog ... detergent/

Thanks all!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It wouldn't hurt to run a "tub clean" cycle or several rinses with no clothes in there to rinse out any residue from the powder that remains. :cheers:
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:59 pm It wouldn't hurt to run a "tub clean" cycle or several rinses with no clothes in there to rinse out any residue from the powder that remains. :cheers:
Every other week or so, I run an empty machine at the highest possible temperature. I think this makes the washing machine feel fresh.