Advice please. Loft hatch installation and some basic loft flooring.

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Advice please. Loft hatch installation and some basic loft flooring.

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of builders/handymen who can install for me a reasonably dimensioned (not just for diminutive Thais) loft hatch? I'm on a small pension soon (nothing at all at the moment) so looking for a balance between quality and price.

Also in the typical style here, the beams are all 4 metres apart and so there's nothing to stand on when you do get up there.

I have termites (I think), and also need access for electric lighting maintenance. A litttle extra storage space would be nice but not the main thing.The pest control team say there's no way to access the part of the roof which needs spraying as there's nothing to stand on.

Any recommendations will save me trying to pick one at random from the many companies advertising home maintenance.

Thanks kindly. :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Advice please. Loft hatch installation and some basic loft flooring.

Post by 404cameljockey »

Should I have been posted this in 'Ask The Expats"?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Can't help you with a builder, but I have yet to see "beams" 4 metres apart in any roof space. What type of construction is the roof? Does it have a high gable, tiles, sheets or what. Is the ceilng suspended, or fastened to the "beams" that you refer to?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:58 pm Can't help you with a builder, but I have yet to see "beams" 4 metres apart in any roof space. What type of construction is the roof? Does it have a high gable, tiles, sheets or what. Is the ceilng suspended, or fastened to the "beams" that you refer to?
I can't explain it, but here it is. Absolutely nothing to stand on at all.
Screenshot_20230223_213654_com.huawei.himovie.overseas-2.jpg
Screenshot_20230223_213654_com.huawei.himovie.overseas-2.jpg (16.28 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A bit difficult to see just what you have there, the photo is nearly black. The ceiling appears to be suspended from some additional bearers, or rafters, running at right angles to the actual battens that carry the gyprock. Very strange! But ceilings are not usually built to carry any weight, unless they are built with strong rafters mounted between surrounding walls.

The gable roof appears to have timber trusses, which may be what you are calling “beams”, and therefore 4m apart. The bottom part of the truss, (called a collar tie), is also braced with a vertical member from the top of the gable. This is where the strength of the roof is, and the load is taken by the surrounding walls. It is the ONLY part of the roof that is designed to carry weight. Any “walkway” would need to be between those trusses, carried between the collar ties of each truss.

After market “manholes” are available in various sizes. For me I would forget about trying to make storage space, but install manholes in each room in such a position that can be opened to spray for termites. Fitted properly they are hardly noticeable. You would probably need to find a contractor that installs gyprock ceilings to get it right.

Termites are prevalent in Hua Hin; they have cost me several times replacing wooden material. But they live underground, and also look for moisture. If the bloody things are already in the roof space, then you may have a big problem!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:19 am A bit difficult to see just what you have there, the photo is nearly black. The ceiling appears to be suspended from some additional bearers, or rafters, running at right angles to the actual battens that carry the gyprock. Very strange! But ceilings are not usually built to carry any weight, unless they are built with strong rafters mounted between surrounding walls.

The gable roof appears to have timber trusses, which may be what you are calling “beams”, and therefore 4m apart. The bottom part of the truss, (called a collar tie), is also braced with a vertical member from the top of the gable. This is where the strength of the roof is, and the load is taken by the surrounding walls. It is the ONLY part of the roof that is designed to carry weight. Any “walkway” would need to be between those trusses, carried between the collar ties of each truss.

After market “manholes” are available in various sizes. For me I would forget about trying to make storage space, but install manholes in each room in such a position that can be opened to spray for termites. Fitted properly they are hardly noticeable. You would probably need to find a contractor that installs gyprock ceilings to get it right.

Termites are prevalent in Hua Hin; they have cost me several times replacing wooden material. But they live underground, and also look for moisture. If the bloody things are already in the roof space, then you may have a big problem!
Thanks for that great explanation, yes the roof is constructed as you say. The termites I see are a few small winged ones coming out of a couple of the holes cut into the ceiling of the living area for the small LED downlighters. There are no termites at all flying outside the house at the moment (yes we get the big evening swarms after rain, but this isn't the case right now).

I'll follow your advice, as the hatch in the kitchen should also do for access to the living space if I place it close enough, the ceiling/roof being a continuous space. I believe pest control companies have sprayers which are extendable so could cover the main area of the villa, with one more hatch in the dining area close to the master bathroom for similar access. The villa is 'L' shaped with the master bathroom in the angle, the dining/living/kitchen areas going down one arm, and the master bedroom/second bathroom/bedroom down the other.

Obviously the space under the house must be treated too.

I had wooden skirting boards infested a couple of years back, but that part of the house (a third bedroom/bathroom extension) is segregated both above (flat roof) and below the villa, All had to be replaced, so I'm aware of the potential damage. Weird how they got in there.

Thanks again for your kind help, Nereus. :bow: