Kasikorn K PLUS mobile banking app

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Kasikorn K PLUS mobile banking app

Post by caller »

Go to Citi and get a joint credit card with your missus and then cut her card up! :D
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

The more I use this Kbank mobile app the more I like it.

It has always been a ballache going into the bank here to send money overseas - they don't want to do it and demand paperwork. However, it can all be done with the app. There is a 100k baht daily limit, a 250 baht fee for SWIFT and about 0.4 THB spread on the exchange rate (THB/GBP). Transfer from Kbank to a UK bank took about an hour to arrive, and the total cost was 1.5% on 1,000 GBP (43,000 THB).

I would imagine its slightly cheaper (no SWIFT fee) using Wise, but there are more steps involved.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Anyone successfully tried to apply for the online debit card (using k+ app) that has replaced the k-web shopping card?

It doesn't work for me due to "incorrect information". Says I have to go into a branch.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just tried to have a go and couldn't find anywhere in the K+ app to apply for or setup the web card.

Edit: I know the app doesn't play well with the VPN or Wifi so tried it without and still nada ... its very well hidden if it is in the app.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I was told that you need to be using the data sim not wifi when applying for the card (still didn't work for me).

The way to do it is,
1. Go to Banking (middle of bottom row).
2. Select debit card in menu.
3. Select Issue debit card
4. Select Apply for debit card
5. Enter pass code
6. Select type of debit card (I don't get this far, but understand there should be choice of normal card or online card).
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

My Kasikorn ATM card was due to expire next month and I got a new one at the main branch on Petchkasem the other day. The assistant used my app to cancel the old one and then after a trees worth of paperwork I got a new one.
I generally find the app okay but anything technical the first stop is the branch for assistance and I have found them pretty good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ok, went through the process and selected the "K Online Debit Card" and it appears to have gone through successfully. It tries to do a transfer for 0 baht from the account it is linked to first.

However, I can't find the details for it back in the main app though so maybe it takes a few days to issue?

Edit: got an email about 15 minutes later stating:
We would like to inform you that the debit card has been successfully issued. KBank will send notification to confirm your registration via K PLUS.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Good to know. Thanks for going through the process. Still waiting to see what technicality is causing me to fail.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tried to apply for a K-bank "You Trip" card through the app which offers multi-currency accounts on the same card. The Wise card I have doesn't work in Thailand since you cant put THB onto it.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/th/persona ... utrip.aspx

The app wants to verify ID via the K-Plus app but as soon as it opens it shows a "Sorry, this service is not available" message.

Has anyone else successfully got a card or is it another one of those "farang mai dai" things?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:Tried to apply for a K-bank "You Trip" card through the app which offers multi-currency accounts on the same card. The Wise card I have doesn't work in Thailand since you cant put THB onto it.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/th/persona ... utrip.aspx

The app wants to verify ID via the K-Plus app but as soon as it opens it shows a "Sorry, this service is not available" message.

Has anyone else successfully got a card or is it another one of those "farang mai dai" things?
I just tried it and in the Kasikorn app id verification was told I'm not allowed. This may be because only Thai citizens are allowed or maybe it depends on having a ndid (like PayPal). Maybe you can ask at the bank or the call center.

They may graciously allow you to apply for a journey card instead.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ok, my suspicions were correct then, another "Thais only" banking service. :banghead:

Another scary premise is that those not resident in their own countries (ie. expats) could be cut off from all banking services if this trend continues. Thailand's banks are increasingly restricting services to foreigners in their quest for digitization and UK banks are reportedly closing accounts for non-residents (as they are in Singapore as I've recently discovered).

Oh if there was an alternative to banks ... :idea:

Crypto solves all of this yet we still remain at the whim of banks telling us what we can and cant do with our own money. :rant:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Quick update, Mrs B applied for the You Trip Mastercard and got approved instantly (no visiting the bank). Nothing to do with NDID since she doesn't have it, she also had to download the K+ app for the first time and could set it up and register without going to the bank. It was all verified on facial recognition (not an option for foreigners) so the banks must have access to the Thai national ID database for KYC purposes.

Since farangs can't have a proper ID card, or carry out online biometrics here, there are likely to be a lot more hurdles and restrictions with banking in Thailand in the future (pretty much the same as what is going on in China).
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

You Trip is a Singapore company and when you use its app to to apply from Thailand it uses the Singapore terms NRIC / FIN, which are National Registration Identity Card number and Foreigner Identity Number and equivalent to Thai citizen id numbers and id numbers for foreigners.

The difference, of course, is that Singapore recognizes that foreigners might need/want to apply for services using automation, but Thailand doesn't or doesn't care and therefore doesn't issue biometric cards to foreigners thus increasingly excluding us from the web-based biometric id validation environment. I wonder if You Trip will notice the absence of farangs in its Thailand memberships.