Full Suspension MTB little support in Thailand

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Full Suspension MTB little support in Thailand

Post by Gregjam »

Given the condition of the roads and lack of fencing once away from town Thailand lends itself to trail/mountain bikers and while hard tails are common there is unfortunately little support for those of us who choose the full suspension path. Many bring their bikes in from abroad due to what is already a more expensive bike being taxed heavily and once here maintenance and spare parts are not readily available.
In the five years I have had my own bike here I have done most of my own maintenance and frequent trips abroad have meant that I get parts such as shock service kits when out of the country. A mistake during a recent service has meant the bike is now out of use until I can source a part. The local dealer cannot/will not help as the part would have to be imported and this is for a major bike brand. The two most useful bike shops in Hua Hin have proven to be Velo in Takiab and Mo’s near Big C. The impression is that the unsociable road riders are their bigger customers (the mamils usually totally ignore you whereas mtb’ers will wave or say hello).
So until the bike part is sourced Velo are arranging an overdue suspension service (using the kit I supplied) and the backup hardtail is getting some kms under its wheels. It seems that old school is the easier path as Thailand is substantially behind the rest of the world in this area which is strange given that many manufacturers are based in Asia.
Am I alone in feeling this way, have I missed a local resource. A friend recently purchased an e-mtb Kawasaki branded for 120k that is well specced when compared to a base Trek Fuel EX 5 that sells for about 100k Baht from the main dealer in Bangkok and us the last generation.
Mountain biking is bigger up north but there are still plenty of trails around here to keep an older less fit guy happy once you cross the bypass. The quieter tracks are safer and shorter distances harder work than on the road plus more fun.
Just some thoughts to pass away time waiting for the boss to have her hair done.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Full Suspension MTB little support in Thailand

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve got no idea whether they can help but you could try Evo Bikes halfway between HH and CA on the main Petchkasem road? https://g.co/kgs/D92gsq
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Full Suspension MTB little support in Thailand

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks Dannie Boy, I think they generally deal with the cheaper end of the market. There just seems to be a dearth of major brands in Thailand which I put down to the full Susser’s being too expensive for the majority of Thais and mtb’ing not. Ring popular. Not surprising when you can get a scooter and change from the cost of a decent bicycle.