Worcestershire sauce is nearly 200 years old.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Worcestershire sauce is nearly 200 years old.

Post by Nereus »

Worcestershire sauce is nearly 200 years old. It's still used on 'everything except ice cream'

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/why-som ... /102812120

In the world of condiments, there's one sauce that's as mysterious as it is delicious, as ubiquitous as it is unpronounceable: Worcestershire sauce.

The flavour-packed savoury nectar has been a staple in kitchens around the globe for nearly two centuries.

It's a sauce with a name that's seemingly designed to stump even the most confident linguists, but don't be fooled — Worcestershire is not just a mouthful to say, but a mouthful of flavour.

A curious combination of ingredients

At its essence, Worcestershire sauce is a combination of vinegar, molasses, garlic, tamarind extract, chilli-pepper extract, sugar, and salt.

But ingredients vary depending on who makes it. A common ingredient though is salt-laden, decomposed anchovies or sardines.

The sauce was invented by pharmacists John Lea and William Henry Perrins in the city of Worcester in Worcestershire, England, in 1837.

The list of ingredients, but no method, of Lea & Perrins' original Worcestershire sauce was uncovered in 2009 in a rubbish bin. The document now resides in the Worcester City Art Gallery and Museum.

The origins of a world-famous sauce

The chemists concocted the new condiment for a local nobleman, or so the story goes, but it tasted so terrible they refused to serve it. Instead, they stored the mixture in their cellar.

But they didn't forget about it — and two years later, they found it had matured into a delicious sauce.

So delicious in fact that they decided to sell it. Now of course the sauce is sold under various brand names around the world.

Some people use it on 'everything except ice cream'

Chef and food educator Kirsten Bacon says it's one of those sauces everybody seems to use.

"Worcestershire sauce's versatility lies in its ability to enhance the flavour of a wide range of dishes, from savory marinades to hearty stews and even Bloody Mary cocktails," she says.

New ways to enjoy your Worcestershire sauce

Add a dash to your BBQ sauce for an extra kick of umami goodness that'll have your guests begging for the recipe.
Give your salads an unexpected zing by using Worcestershire sauce as a dressing base instead of your usual vinaigrette.

It also pairs well with cheese on toast, according to this enthusiast

oast one side of the bread, turn over, add a slice of cheese, then spread tomato sauce and a good dash of Worcester sauce and grill till the cheese is melted. — Dianne Walker

You might be forgiven for thinking the United Kingdom is the biggest consumer of the sauce, using it to add a little zing to Welsh rarebit, but you'd be surprised.

It is most popular in El Salvador. In fact, many restaurants provide a bottle on each table. In 1996 the per capita annual consumption was 2.5 ounces (71 grams), according to the Wall Street Journal.

"Remember, Worcestershire sauce can be quite potent, so start with a little and adjust to taste," says Kirsten.

But how do you say it?

Trying to pronounce Worcestershire sauce feels like a tongue-twister obstacle course and it's widely regarded as one of the hardest words to say in cooking.

Regardless of how you say it, next time you drizzle that accidental elixir of Worcestershire sauce onto your steak or mix it into your Bloody Mary, remember that this condiment isn't just a flavour enhancer; it's quite possibly the unsung hero of your culinary adventures.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Re: Worcestershire sauce is nearly 200 years old.

Post by PeteC »

HP Sauce is a good alternative sometimes. There's been meals here in my house when I've used both at the same time. :shock:

Lea & Perrins gets much more use though. I've never tried a different brand of Worcestershire and not sure other brands exist? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Nereus wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:34 am Worcestershire sauce is nearly 200 years old. It's still used on 'everything except ice cream'

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/why-som ... /102812120

In the world of condiments, there's one sauce that's as mysterious as it is delicious, as ubiquitous as it is unpronounceable: Worcestershire sauce.

The flavour-packed savoury nectar has been a staple in kitchens around the globe for nearly two centuries.

It's a sauce with a name that's seemingly designed to stump even the most confident linguists, but don't be fooled — Worcestershire is not just a mouthful to say, but a mouthful of flavour.

A curious combination of ingredients

At its essence, Worcestershire sauce is a combination of vinegar, molasses, garlic, tamarind extract, chilli-pepper extract, sugar, and salt.

But ingredients vary depending on who makes it. A common ingredient though is salt-laden, decomposed anchovies or sardines.

The sauce was invented by pharmacists John Lea and William Henry Perrins in the city of Worcester in Worcestershire, England, in 1837.

The list of ingredients, but no method, of Lea & Perrins' original Worcestershire sauce was uncovered in 2009 in a rubbish bin. The document now resides in the Worcester City Art Gallery and Museum.

The origins of a world-famous sauce

The chemists concocted the new condiment for a local nobleman, or so the story goes, but it tasted so terrible they refused to serve it. Instead, they stored the mixture in their cellar.

But they didn't forget about it — and two years later, they found it had matured into a delicious sauce.

So delicious in fact that they decided to sell it. Now of course the sauce is sold under various brand names around the world.

Some people use it on 'everything except ice cream'

Chef and food educator Kirsten Bacon says it's one of those sauces everybody seems to use.

"Worcestershire sauce's versatility lies in its ability to enhance the flavour of a wide range of dishes, from savory marinades to hearty stews and even Bloody Mary cocktails," she says.

New ways to enjoy your Worcestershire sauce

Add a dash to your BBQ sauce for an extra kick of umami goodness that'll have your guests begging for the recipe.
Give your salads an unexpected zing by using Worcestershire sauce as a dressing base instead of your usual vinaigrette.

It also pairs well with cheese on toast, according to this enthusiast

oast one side of the bread, turn over, add a slice of cheese, then spread tomato sauce and a good dash of Worcester sauce and grill till the cheese is melted. — Dianne Walker

You might be forgiven for thinking the United Kingdom is the biggest consumer of the sauce, using it to add a little zing to Welsh rarebit, but you'd be surprised.

It is most popular in El Salvador. In fact, many restaurants provide a bottle on each table. In 1996 the per capita annual consumption was 2.5 ounces (71 grams), according to the Wall Street Journal.

"Remember, Worcestershire sauce can be quite potent, so start with a little and adjust to taste," says Kirsten.

But how do you say it?

Trying to pronounce Worcestershire sauce feels like a tongue-twister obstacle course and it's widely regarded as one of the hardest words to say in cooking.

Regardless of how you say it, next time you drizzle that accidental elixir of Worcestershire sauce onto your steak or mix it into your Bloody Mary, remember that this condiment isn't just a flavour enhancer; it's quite possibly the unsung hero of your culinary adventures.
Think again...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:12 pm HP Sauce is a good alternative sometimes. There's been meals here in my house when I've used both at the same time. :shock:
Not such a shock Pete, I use both in stews, the worcester sauce for the depth of flavour when cooking, and HP when I am about to tuck in and enjoy it.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:HP Sauce is a good alternative sometimes. There's been meals here in my house when I've used both at the same time. :shock:

Lea & Perrins gets much more use though. I've never tried a different brand of Worcestershire and not sure other brands exist? :cheers:
I’ve tried other (cheaper) brands here in Thailand but no surprise that they don’t taste so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk