Visa run to Phu Nam Ron open?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Visa run to Phu Nam Ron open?

Post by neil_54 »

Hi, I am thinking about travelling there to get my multiple-entry visa reactivated for another 60 days. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still possible to go by bus there and cross the border and then further with the agency over there?

Thank you
Last edited by neil_54 on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Re: Visa run to Phu Nam Ron open?

Post by buksida »

I haven't been since before Covid but there was no 'agency' on the Burmese side, just a tiny ramshackle jungle village selling ridiculously cheap beer.

I wouldn't imagine much has changed up there but it may be an idea to check Kanchanaburi forums for the latest.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, you can do a "visa run" to extend the 60 days there (providing it is open to foreigners now ... there is no date on your link).

Ranong (Andaman Club) is another option that is confirmed to be open again.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

yeah, thats the question if it is open for foreigners. Ranong will be a long trip, I guess not possible within one day
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

neil_54 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:37 am Referring to that description

https://xploreasia.org/thai-visa-advice ... on-border/
Other than not giving the date of the advice, that’s a really comprehensive listing of what to do - maybe we could learn from this when giving advice (no criticism intended).
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

Yes, unfortunately there is no data, which makes me a bit worried about it.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I don't think Ban Phu Nam Ron is open to foreigners. There has been Burmese army activity in that area. A friend went to Three Pagoda pass yesterday and that was closed.

You could ask the "Visa Run" office at Condochain (if they are still open) think there phone number is 091 821 4826 or 081 819 2212.

I have heard that most people are going to Cambodia but that is a longer trip.
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

thanks,

just got confirm of two agency that Phu Nam Ron is closed for foreigner. Think I will go trough bkk to cambodia
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

Does anyone know some agency that goes to ranong for a visa run?
buksida

Post by buksida »

neil_54 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:09 pm Does anyone know some agency that goes to ranong for a visa run?
You don't need an 'agency'.

Just turn up at the immigration office which is at the Grand Andaman pier before you get to Ranong. https://maps.app.goo.gl/NBKfA57Fi4jobDQi8

They'll stamp you out and take 950 baht off you, and then you get on the boat to the Andaman Club and get stamped in. Hit the duty-free shop and enjoy a Myanmar beer in the hotel then take the next boat back. Get stamped back in at immigration and all is done.

You can do it on the cheap by going to the old port in town and getting a longtail across, but I've never done it this way so can't advise.
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

Thanks, will think about that
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Taking the Sleeper train via Hat Yai down to Padang Besar at the Malaysian Border was an old favourite. I used to continue on to Butterworth / Penang as I have friends there.

I haven't done that since covid so not up to date with current times etc. Also, it's best to check up on Sepparist activity in the deep south.
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

thank for the information