The 10K Election Handout Farce

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The 10K Election Handout Farce

Post by caller »

The whole point of this handout was to boost GDP, but if its not new money, and it won't be, it's probably not worth the effort. And as they are now looking at ways of restricting who get's it, it negates it's effectiveness even more, so it's really becoming a face saving exercise.

In some respects, they are the victims of the junta's spending, and the various handouts and subsidies, which naturally, no-one questioned, as they all have to be paid for and which have had a detrimental effect on the economy as a consequnce. The catch-22 is, that if those subsidies don't continue - diesel / petol - the situation will be even worse. Even the economist I ilke to follow from the BP, in his last article, basically said, it's getting more tourists in, with cashback offers, or nothing. Seems a crazy idea to me.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... sh-handout
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:17 am I agree, but many haven't as they intend to return to what they still consider their home when they've made their 'fortune'. There will be hundreds, probably thousands in Hua Hin alone who will receive the credit, but be unable to spend it.

It just seems to be a big shame votes were bought with a less than transparent promise.
In fairness, I don't think you can blame the Government for people not updating their true residency. But maybe a scheme promoting the same would help - even linking this requirement to receiving the handout. It's quick and easy to do.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The system doesn't allow it for many. If they have property or land in their home province, I'm told they can't move their registration.

If the problem was fixed, it would cost the Gov't more, so no incentive to fix it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:00 pm The system doesn't allow it for many. If they have property or land in their home province, I'm told they can't move their registration.

If the problem was fixed, it would cost the Gov't more, so no incentive to fix it.
I dont think that's right. My other half has land in her 'home' province, but was able to register her address as being in Hua Hin.

I don't understand why it would cost the Government more?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe rules have changed recently then, because what I said was true. Life would be so much easier if they have.

It will, on paper at least, cost the Government less because people have to travel back to their home province to spend their windfall, which is time limited. That a long journey for many for a shopping trip. At the end of the period, unspent money will return to the coffers.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmmm....... not as fierce as the earlier article suggested. No news in this article, unless I've missed it (Thaiger always throws up all sorts of crap on my screen).

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... -baht-loan

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:08 pm Hmmmm....... not as fierce as the earlier article suggested. No news in this article, unless I've missed it (Thaiger always throws up all sorts of crap on my screen).

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... -baht-loan
I think they're copying the BP article:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... 500bn-loan

First they have to secure the loan + interest. That will be interesting. The problem is it's coming from money already in circulation, not additional new money. Just feels like this is dead in the water.
Talk is cheap
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

caller wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:01 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:00 pm The system doesn't allow it for many. If they have property or land in their home province, I'm told they can't move their registration.

I dont think that's right. My other half has land in her 'home' province, but was able to register her address as being in Hua Hin.

I don't understand why it would cost the Government more?
Same with my wife. She also has multiple pieces of land in her name in her home province and her registered address is here in Hua Hin. Some of the land she bought well after we moved here.

What about all the multi-millionaires (and billionaires) in Thailand? I'm pretty sure they're not restricted to only owning property in the province where their registered address is.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I wonder how they will check the 500,000 baht in the bank account. You could now withdraw the excess money and hoard it at home until you receive the 10,000 baht