Burmese border market

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: Burmese border market

Post by bigston »

Was there 2 weeks ago on a Friday
enough to keep one interested
take the side rd off to the left when returning from the market you will see it about 3/4 of the way back down to the highway
there are a bunch of cows on the left with one big black one called Martha, she loves a pat
have done Fujisan but now always do Hazu Gyoza its a sure welcome change from the same same thai food
just watch the clearance under the train line, you'll see what i mean....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hasu+ ... ?entry=ttu
father
Amateur
Amateur

Post by father »

The Dan Singkhon market reopened yesterday (Nov. 25/23). Went out and had a look. I'd say it was running about 80% of what it was before it closed. I would assume it will get back to when it was 100% very soon.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

father wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:33 am The Dan Singkhon market reopened yesterday (Nov. 25/23). Went out and had a look. I'd say it was running about 80% of what it was before it closed. I would assume it will get back to when it was 100% very soon.
It was never really closed, just lack of customers, so many vendors stopped operating. Having almost 2 years to recover, if using covid as an excuse, and not much has changed since last time I was there.

Checking my 'Gmap timeline', and it's been 8 months since last visit. :shock: Think I need to pop out there next Saturday for a peek. I'd go today, but expecting a COD delivery, so need to be at the house.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO it'll never get back to it's best. It lost a lot of character when they built the concrete thingys on the hill. I like it best before they 'improved it'.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:31 am IMHO it'll never get back to it's best. It lost a lot of character when they built the concrete thingys on the hill. I like it best before they 'improved it'.
Absolutely, the place had a lot of character when it was a random collection of shops and restaurants where you could sit and have a beer and watch the border life go by.

Now its just a sterile bunch of concrete sheds, the only reason to go there is if you want furniture or orchids.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

buksida wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:23 am ... the only reason to go there is if you want furniture or orchids.
Just came back from the market, and nothing new, except a couple more drink stands. Most shops full of wood furniture, not attended & no lights on, dark, and seem to be nothing but storage.

Even though local for us, I can't see us going out there again. Few shops on the main road closed up. Coffee/tea shop is still there.

On a positive, Atchara cuisine just prior to the 'check point' has reopened. Nice spot for a cup of w/view. Food was just OK, nothing expensive.
https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/%E0 ... ?entry=ttu
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Does anyone know what happened to the market generally? When I visited more than once in December 09 / January 10, it used to get very busy as weekends, and car parking was at a premium - anywhere in the area really. I recall seeing tourist buses parked up as well. There were also different strands to the market, in different areas. And as others have said there were many shops and places to eat and drink.

Did this continue unabated over the years, or did it all die when they built the concrete monstrosity. Lots of peoples livelihooods must have been lost as a consequence, or was the market dying a death before the concrete area was built, and when exactly was that?

My next visit was in October 2016, when I took friends staying in Hua Hin down to PKK and Dan Singhkon and I was shocked when we got to the latter.
Talk is cheap