Hua Hin and surrounding area full time foreign population

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
PeteC

Hua Hin and surrounding area full time foreign population

Post by PeteC »

Any idea what this may be approximately? For those of you who live there full time, does it seem to be going up or down. Perhaps one of the local publications keeps track of such things. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin and surrounding area full time foreign population

Post by wenshidi »

Difficult to say. In between ghetto-isation and natural language boundaries, it is hard to say.
If you go to Big C on a Saturday Morning it is ten to one, but that might not be representative of other locales.

Also, it is not a very sturdy demographic, and so black swan events can have disproportional consequences. I am trying to be polite, but I think you know what I am saying. 8)
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Is this not almost impossible to determine. How many full time, part time, holiday only etc. Most of all does it matter
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Perhaps anyone who is really, really curious about this could ask local immigration if they would very kindly count and reveal the number of foreigners who have long term permission to stay?

Answer would be: No we won't, probably.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Back in 2017 that ever reliable and trustworthy rag, Hua Hin Today, stated there was over 4000 foreigners living in Hua Hin, which is a pretty useless summary. If they really knew, I am sure they would have gone all precise. The general guesstimate seems to be 3 - 5k, mainly from looking at property websites, which is a little better than saying, 'we've no idea'!

I think it will have to come from either the local governor or immigration to have any substance.
Talk is cheap
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm Is this not almost impossible to determine. How many full time, part time, holiday only etc. Most of all does it matter
Maybe not to you, but some of us enjoy a little polite discussion about local matters?

Who pissed in your coffee this morning?
buksida

Post by buksida »

The number bandied about years ago was always about 4,000, but its gotta be at least double that in high season ... most of them are in Market Village!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

wenshidi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 am
StevePIraq wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm Is this not almost impossible to determine. How many full time, part time, holiday only etc. Most of all does it matter
Maybe not to you, but some of us enjoy a little polite discussion about local matters?

Seems I pissed in yours, ha ha
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:

I’d have to agree that it makes little/no difference to me, although I guess that if it was 40,000 rather than 4,000, traffic would be a lot worse, as would the queues at Makro et al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highflyer

Post by Highflyer »

100% agree, it is what it is, I have lived here for 18 years, things go up and down, get on with it.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

StevePIraq wrote:

I’d have to agree that it makes little/no difference to me, [/quote]

In that case, I assume that your only purpose in replying is to see if you can piss me off even more.

Is this the shining example that you set in all online forums?

Being rude and disruptive?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

:agree:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:22 am The number bandied about years ago was always about 4,000, but its gotta be at least double that in high season ... most of them are in Market Village!
It's the first time I've been back in the middle of high season for a couple of years and I've noticed how busy the restaurants around where I am in Hin Lek Fai have been.
That would suggest that the temporary population has got to be pretty high because these places are too far out of the way to be used by tourists, it has to be a combination of snowbirds and people like me who are based in Hua Hin but work away.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:12 pm It's the first time I've been back in the middle of high season for a couple of years and I've noticed how busy the restaurants around where I am in Hin Lek Fai have been.
That would suggest that the temporary population has got to be pretty high because these places are too far out of the way to be used by tourists, it has to be a combination of snowbirds and people like me who are based in Hua Hin but work away.
I think thats fair comment. During covid, where I live was about 50% full, with snowbirds and others not being able to get here. It's a completely different situation now.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise, the place we're staying at was completely empty during Covid. Now you can't get a room or even a parking space there, its the same story at the condo opposite, the majority seem to be snowbirds and short-timers (1-2 months).

I haven't seen this many farangs in Hua Hin since around 2014/15. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson