The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by HHTel »

Just watched it. Lives up to expectations with Jason Stathem at his best.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 pm Just watched it. Lives up to expectations with Jason Stathem at his best.
Looking good then!! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:00 pm
HHTel wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 pm Just watched it. Lives up to expectations with Jason Stathem at his best.
Looking good then!! :thumb:
I just watched it. Statham at his best was the amazing Crank. The Beekeeper isn't that, but read on.

I made the mistake of not reading reviews before watching and thought the plot and dialogue so bad I almost stopped watching. It seemed written by a 15 year old, and the whole premise of 'bee sociology' running through the whole film seemed just awful. But I was a mile and a half away.

After 30 minutes I stopped it and read some reviews. Then it dawned on me (very late) that it's supposed to be ludicrous, a pastiche of the usual deadpan run-of-the-mill action-crime-thrillers, and after that I began smiling. Now I can even forgive the truly awful leaden dialogue of the first 20 minutes, looking at it as pure irony! I'll watch it again in a week's time in the right frame of mind. :)
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:06 pm
I made the mistake of not reading reviews before watching and thought the plot and dialogue so bad I almost stopped watching. It seemed written by a 15 year old, and the whole premise of 'bee sociology' running through the whole film seemed just awful.
Well, each to their own I guess. You've panned a fair few movies that I and others have enjoyed, yet you seem to have enjoyed the odd one that get's decent reviews.

Not watched it yet, but will certainly do so in the near future!! :thumb:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:26 am
Well, each to their own I guess. You've panned a fair few movies that I and others have enjoyed, yet you seem to have enjoyed the odd one that get's decent reviews.

Not watched it yet, but will certainly do so in the near future!! :thumb:
Mate, I challenge you to find the last film I panned in this thread. You're thinking of someone else! :D

Searching my last 8 months' posts I can't see one, although weirdly one reply from the colonel to a post of mine where he was dissing Scorcese's last appears in the search list as posted by me. I'd said I loved it, also I've said I was mistaken about Beekeeper when I thought it was trash, I just misunderstood it at the start.

I'm not the biggest fan of mindless, near plotless 'action-thrillers with many explosions', although I know some are. I don't watch them so I don't post negatively here about them. Statham can at least add a reason to watch, plus this film is a pastiche on the genre (to my mind), as Kingsman was to spy films.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Yes he's probably thinking of me.

I've seen a few poor movies lately

But one very good one was....

Society of the Snow(netflix)

Excellent remake of the film 'Alive' with Ethan Hawke

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:05 pm Yes he's probably thinking of me.

I've seen a few poor movies lately

But one very good one was....

Society of the Snow(netflix)

Excellent remake of the film 'Alive' with Ethan Hawke

I think he was. :D

Society of the Snow is great and I feel a better rendition of the story, plus actors from Uruguay and Argentina.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

The Holdovers is a warm and gentle film with Paul Giamatti giving his usual flawed human performance. If you still have the Christmas spirit it's even better.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Another very good one I watched(rewatched) recently was

SPOTLIGHT(2015)

Highly recommended.... unless you're a devout Catholic!

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Fully agree.
Just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:04 am Mate, I challenge you to find the last film I panned in this thread. You're thinking of someone else! :D
Apologies, I've read/taken your comment wrongly :oops: Apparently not difficult for a Welshman! :D :wink:

I'll just blame the medication I'm on and those damn voices and giggling clowns.... :laugh:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:25 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:04 am Mate, I challenge you to find the last film I panned in this thread. You're thinking of someone else! :D
Apologies, I've read/taken your comment wrongly :oops: Apparently not difficult for a Welshman! :D :wink:

I'll just blame the medication I'm on and those damn voices and giggling clowns.... :laugh:
:D

For me it's the little men whispering at me from behind my bedroom curtains. :wink:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

No One Will Save You. Difficult to review. Steven Spielberg raved about it, critics tried hard in different ways to praise it, many viewers didn't like it. I stuck with it, there's quite a lot to like but....

A non-gory, non-violent, almost non-verbal sci-fi horror. If you're easily confused you'll hate the last 20 minutes. Nods to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, ET (the finger), Close encounters of the Third Kind (the 5 tone alien noise). Don't take the end scene literally. The female lead is excellent.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I don't watch docu-dramas but started on Lover Stalker Killer thinking it was a drama 'based on true events' but became hooked and watched it through. It's engrossing, mind-bending and has quite a twist or two. The weaker sex?...
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Triangle of Sadness (2022)
Watched this last night. Hadn't heard of it before.
Absolute gem.
Woody Harrelson as an alcoholic luxury yacht captain. What can go wrong...?