Pizza in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Pizza in Hua Hin

Post by caller »

Jack_Batty wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:58 pm
bigston wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:33 pm JB, you could try a light sprinkle of oregano on top
works for me
Alright. I’ll give it a shot.
I dont care for oregano, if a pizza is a bit lifeless, I add a few (or more) chilli flakes.

A pizza I had in a branch of Mozza in Bkk, back in July, was called a rustica, just cheese, italian sausage, small chunks of potato and onion, I have forgotten what the main cheese was, but it was fantastic, but the pizza as a whole, just needed a lift. Luckily, both oregano and chilli flakes were available on the table. I chose the later, job done.

Talk is cheap
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

No prizes for stating that good pizza is all about the dough and tomato sauce.

There’s are many different styles of pizza and therefore many variants of dough preparation.

Factors from flour type, hydration of dough and fermentation all produce different results.

Cooking temperatures also produce very different results and dough should be made according to the cooking temperature.

Pizza cooked in a conventional home over (max temp 250 centigrade) will require a less hydrated dough (less water in the recipe) than a pizza cooked in a wood oven (pizza cooking temp 400 centigrade)

The higher the cooking temperature the higher a dough can be hydrated (more water in the recipe).

The bonus of a higher hydrated dough is in tue texture of the pizza base and crust. Traditional Neapolitan pizza requires more cooking heat to deliver the required taste and texture profile.

The extra water in the dough hits the high heat of a wood fired oven and turns to steam. The steam produces air in the crust and results in a very light, crispy and digestible eating experience.

The closest I found to this type of pizza was at the Pizza Garden before it changed hands around 5 years ago. The Italian owner made great pizzas but it hasn’t been the same since.

Pics attached of what I baked in my wood fired oven at home - and they are by far the best pizzas in HH…..IMO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Henry 14th wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:09 pm No prizes for stating that good pizza is all about the dough and tomato sauce.

There’s are many different styles of pizza and therefore many variants of dough preparation.

Factors from flour type, hydration of dough and fermentation all produce different results.

Cooking temperatures also produce very different results and dough should be made according to the cooking temperature.

Pizza cooked in a conventional home over (max temp 250 centigrade) will require a less hydrated dough (less water in the recipe) than a pizza cooked in a wood oven (pizza cooking temp 400 centigrade)

The higher the cooking temperature the higher a dough can be hydrated (more water in the recipe).

The bonus of a higher hydrated dough is in tue texture of the pizza base and crust. Traditional Neapolitan pizza requires more cooking heat to deliver the required taste and texture profile.

The extra water in the dough hits the high heat of a wood fired oven and turns to steam. The steam produces air in the crust and results in a very light, crispy and digestible eating experience.

The closest I found to this type of pizza was at the Pizza Garden before it changed hands around 5 years ago. The Italian owner made great pizzas but it hasn’t been the same since.

Pics attached of what I baked in my wood fired oven at home - and they are by far the best pizzas in HH…..IMO of course.

You obviously are an expert about pizzas, and it shows in the photo of your finished product. I can believe, as an expert pizza eater, that your statement about making the best pizza in Hua Hin might be true. And I agree with your statement about Pizza Garden. I enjoyed a pizza there about four years ago, but haven’t enjoyed subsequent visits since then.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Having a traditional pizza oven (particularly a wood fired one) is an absolute first class start to producing an excellent result. I’ve made plenty of ok ones in a traditional oven on a pizza stone, but still not the same. Where did you get your oven Henry?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Jack_Batty wrote:
Henry 14th wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:09 pm No prizes for stating that good pizza is all about the dough and tomato sauce.

You obviously are an expert about pizzas, and it shows in the photo of your finished product. I can believe, as an expert pizza eater, that your statement about making the best pizza in Hua Hin might be true. And I agree with your statement about Pizza Garden. I enjoyed a pizza there about four years ago, but haven’t enjoyed subsequent visits since then.
There is definitely a pizza revolution going on in the West. Lots of small gas fired ovens that are reasonably priced and do a really good job of replicating the cook of a wood fired brick oven.

There’s some talented guys out there on YouTube showing all the technicalities of pizza making, it’s a fascinating deep dive…..if pizza is your thing of course.

Back on topic…..the Scoozi pizza shop in market village look to do a pretty good pizza. Tried them years ago in Bangkok and remember being ok.

Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Dannie Boy wrote:Having a traditional pizza oven (particularly a wood fired one) is an absolute first class start to producing an excellent result. I’ve made plenty of ok ones in a traditional oven on a pizza stone, but still not the same. Where did you get your oven Henry?
It was a bucket list project and Covid allowed me the time to build it brick by brick at home.

Had help from a engineer neighbor and somehow we managed to build an amazing piece of cooking kit at the end of it…..I could go on for hours about it.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Pizza in Hua Hin

Post by Dannie Boy »

Did you use refractory cement?
Sorry mods for taking it off topic - maybe pm the reply!!

Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Dannie Boy wrote:Did you use refractory cement?
Sorry mods for taking it off topic - maybe pm the reply!!

Yes it was a fairly technical build for a layman such as I.

Refractory bricks, refractory cement, perlite, vermiculite and fiberglass blanket/board insulation….tools to make sure the dome radius remains perfectly consistent in line with Fibonacci sequence to ensure adequate airflow.

Feel free to private message. I did help another forum member last year who came round to the house to discuss it.

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Had it again at Lakeside Bar. Phad grapow pork pizza with two eggs on top. I was going to take it home, but after a couple of beers, I decided to try a slice. The whole pizza was gone a short time later. It’s like crack! Probably my favorite pizza in Hua Hin right now. Perfect spicy complement to the beer and I love to dip the crusts in the yolk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Absolutely agreed. 'On' will make the pizza anyway you want no matter how bizarre. Never been disappointed.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:17 pm Absolutely agreed. 'On' will make the pizza anyway you want no matter how bizarre. Never been disappointed.
Yup. She’s a real sweetheart and the perfect hostess. I love that place.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Jack_Batty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:26 pm
Had it again at Lakeside Bar. Phad grapow pork pizza with two eggs on top. I was going to take it home, but after a couple of beers, I decided to try a slice. The whole pizza was gone a short time later. It’s like crack! Probably my favorite pizza in Hua Hin right now. Perfect spicy complement to the beer and I love to dip the crusts in the yolk.

Where is the Lakeside Bar please?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

PET wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:33 pm

If headed up 102, hang a right at the newish 7-11 and it will be 650 meters on the left. Same road as The Cock Inn, Coconuts, Little Spain, and Queen Bar.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

PET wrote:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qtj2LGGcSD36nL5aA

YNWA

YNWA