Top cop 'Big Joke' charged with bribery

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Top cop 'Big Joke' charged with bribery

Post by buksida »

Deputy National Police Chief Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn has been charged with the wrongful exercise of duties and accepting bribes by the police.

This follows the discovery of a financial connection between him and an illegal online gambling network through at least 4 mule accounts valued at 300 million baht, as reported by Pol Maj Gen Jaroonkiat Pankaew, deputy commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB). He also said more than half of the 300 million was transferred to other high-ranking officers and used to cover Pol Gen Surachate's daily expenses.

Pol Gen Surachate, along with four other police officers accused of the same offenses, could also face charges of money laundering, according to Pol Maj Gen Jaroonkiat.

[Update] Pol Maj Gen Jaroonkiat stated that the investigation into Pol Gen Surachate is linked to the probe against Suchanun "Minnie" Sucharitchinsri, who is suspected of operating online gambling websites involving 61 suspects and eight other police officers.

In September 2023, Suchanun denied allegations of running illegal online gambling websites. However, she did acknowledge having a close relationship with one of Deputy National Police Chiefs, Pol Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn's close aides, Pol Col Pakpoom Pisamai.

Source: Thai Enquirier

Big Joke confirmed suspect in 'Minnie' gambling case
Deputy national police chief Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn is a suspect in an online gambling case and could face multiple charges including money laundering, a deputy chief of the Central Investigation...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2746153/

What a surprise, a bent cop in Thailand, who'da thunk it. And this was the prick wagging fingers at everybody else while claiming to be cleaner than a Japanese toilet seat.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Top cop 'Big Joke' charged with bribery

Post by buksida »

Doesn't look like Thai police crimes, bribery, extortion, and money laundering is going away soon ... maybe 'Big Joke' could share some of his ill-gotten gains with his compadres.

Many cops in serious debt
Many police have fallen into debt totalling some 300 billion baht and most are on the verge of bankruptcy, said national police chief Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol.

He was commenting in response to questions posed by the House committee reviewing the 2024 annual budget expenditure bill.

On Tuesday, the national police chief was called to answer the panel's queries over the budget allocated to the Royal Thai Police (RTP) worth 117 billion baht.

In "opening up" to the committee, Pol Gen Torsak said many officers were in bad shape financially, having accrued some 300 billion baht in debt, and are in danger of being declared bankrupt. They were struggling to even own a house.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rious-debt
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Still so humourous that, one of the most inept police forces in the world, had a chief... the face in the media... nicknamed 'Big Joke'. :D
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They are getting better at the extortion thing. One of my recent party of guests went out for a ride on his hired motorcycle at 3am. Usual idiot behaviour, drunk, no licence, no helmet, no insurance, etc. He's been laughing at Thai police for years, and their usual 200฿ or 400฿ straight into the back pocket fines. This time it was 20,000฿ or straight to jail without passing Go.

Friend crapped himself, and even after being marched to the ATM, could only muster 12,000฿.

3 things tell me the scams are just getting better:
  • I thought roadside money collection by the BIB was now illegal.
  • If the fine was 20,000฿, how could they accept 12,000฿?
  • After paying 12,000฿ he was then declared as sober, and allowed to ride back to his hotel.
Don't get me wrong, he deserved everything he got/lost, including a lot of hassle from his family who thought being away so long meant he had been to a girly bar. I DO NOT CONDONE DRUNK DRIVING. Never have.

However, these guys are still corrupt as ever, but the deterrents are now becoming deterrents. It certainly shook my friend at the 50/100 times increase in the level of extortion to the last times he was caught.

If there are now so many in debt, you have to wonder where this money is going.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:33 am If there are now so many in debt, you have to wonder where this money is going.
Up the chain to 'Big Joke' by the looks of things.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:33 am They are getting better at the extortion thing. One of my recent party of guests went out for a ride on his hired motorcycle at 3am. Usual idiot behaviour, drunk, no licence, no helmet, no insurance, etc. He's been laughing at Thai police for years, and their usual 200฿ or 400฿ straight into the back pocket fines. This time it was 20,000฿ or straight to jail without passing Go.

Friend crapped himself, and even after being marched to the ATM, could only muster 12,000฿.

3 things tell me the scams are just getting better:
  • I thought roadside money collection by the BIB was now illegal.
  • If the fine was 20,000฿, how could they accept 12,000฿?
  • After paying 12,000฿ he was then declared as sober, and allowed to ride back to his hotel.
Don't get me wrong, he deserved everything he got/lost, including a lot of hassle from his family who thought being away so long meant he had been to a girly bar. I DO NOT CONDONE DRUNK DRIVING. Never have.

However, these guys are still corrupt as ever, but the deterrents are now becoming deterrents. It certainly shook my friend at the 50/100 times increase in the level of extortion to the last times he was caught.

If there are now so many in debt, you have to wonder where this money is going.
It’s a bit like the chicken and the egg - if we didn’t have drunk drivers we wouldn’t have (so many at least) corrupt cops - your “friend” was playing into their hands!!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

The low ranking police officers are seriously underpaid and therefore corruption will naturally follow. it is well known that a lot of the "fines " are passed up the food chain.Sensible pay along with meaningful (legal) punishments not merely moved to inactive posts should be brought about.

How will that be paid for? having a fairer tax system would be a start.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If they were properly paid and motivated (i.e. paid double their current salary) you could halve the police force and so it would be cost neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:35 pm If they were properly paid and motivated (i.e. paid double their current salary) you could halve the police force and so it would be cost neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree.
buksida

Post by buksida »

THAILAND’S NATIONAL POLICE CHIEF AND HIS DEPUTY ARE SUSPENDED AMID RUMORS OF A POWER STRUGGLE
Thailand’s national police chief and one of his deputies were temporarily suspended under the order of Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on Wednesday, as accusations that the deputy was involved in an illegal online gambling ring sparked rumors of a power struggle in the police department.

Torsak Sukvimol, who was appointed to the top police post in October last year, and Surachate Hakparn, one of his deputy chiefs, were temporarily moved to inactive posts in the Office of the Prime Minister, which directly supervises the police department.

Surachate has been accused of involvement with illegal online gambling websites, a charge he denies.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... -struggle/

If he was a prime suspect and now has been suspended, why is he still all over the TV in a police uniform covered in bling?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

That "bling" gets me! They are like little children at a fancy dress party!

It never was posted exactly what "Big Joke" did a couple of years ago when he scuttled off to some Temple overseas.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

The Thai Yakuza "police" look after their own ...

"Deputy National Police Chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn will not be suspended from police duty, for now, said Pol Gen Kittirat "Big Tai" Phanphet, acting national police chief.
Pol Gen Surachate was moved to inactive duty at the PM's Office following instructions from Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin. This means that he has been suspended from the Deputy National Police Chief position but not from police duty, and he is still receiving his full wage and welfare."

Source: Thai Enquirier
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Wonder what that duty is.