Dried Peas

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Dried Peas

Post by Big Boy »

Siani wrote:Anyway...back to sprouts..not frozen, buy them small as possible
I must say that the fresh sprouts I've seen on sale here in Hua Hin so far have been of the larger variety (almost mini cabbages :D ).

Funnily enough, we tried some on the grand children a few days ago. Thai kids are no different to Farang kids in that respect - they hated them :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Big Boy wrote:
I must say that the fresh sprouts I've seen on sale here in Hua Hin so far have been of the larger variety (almost mini cabbages :D ).

Funnily enough, we tried some on the grand children a few days ago. Thai kids are no different to Farang kids in that respect - they hated them :D
Brussels sprouts are a slow-growing, long-bearing crop that needs cool weather.They prefer to ripen in temperatures from the low 60’s to low 70’s and their flavor will be best if allowed to grow during several periods of frost. When touched by frost, the cold converts starches in the plant into sugar, giving the sprouts better flavor. Sprouts untouched by frost can be a bit bland.
Apparently...be aware that sprouts maturing in hot or dry weather will be flimsy and bitter. Brussels sprouts belong to the cole crop family (Brassica oleracea), which includes cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, kale, and kohlrabi.

The grand children may like them stir fried, sometimes I do it, really tasty :wink: Not with Christmas dinner though :?

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... tle-recipe
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Siani wrote:
Big Boy wrote:

Brussels sprouts are a slow-growing, long-bearing crop that needs cool weather.They prefer to ripen in temperatures from the low 60’s to low 70’s and their flavor will be best if allowed to grow during several periods of frost. When touched by frost, the cold converts starches in the plant into sugar, giving the sprouts better flavor. Sprouts untouched by frost can be a bit bland.
Apparently...be aware that sprouts maturing in hot or dry weather will be flimsy and bitter. Brussels sprouts belong to the cole crop family (Brassica oleracea), which includes cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, kale, and kohlrabi.

The grand children may like them stir fried, sometimes I do it, really tasty :wink: Not with Christmas dinner though :?

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... tle-recipe

Wow good post Siani my wife loves sprouts i also think that root vegetables like parsnips etc taste better after a good frost on them.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

BB...hope the peas are soaking :P Enjoy :thumb:
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

The festive season is upon us like it or not :wink:
Just reminding you BB to get you peas soaking :idea:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No worries - I have a plentiful supply this year :)

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

BB

Is your soi a 'no go area' on Boxing day?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And several days after :D

Points 48; Position 20
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

BB as you have a great stock in your store cupboard....I found a recipe for you...I am going to try it, sounds delicious! :cheers: I will post it on the cookery topic :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

After many years of searching, I think I've found a reasonable source of dried peas, 98฿/Kilo from Lazada. I've just tried some, and they were the real thing - best mushies I've had since 2012. The duvet could be floating tonight :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for that, BB. Never thought of looking on Lazada and sure enough there are a few sellers of dried marrowfat peas. I'm just about to order some.