The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:26 am I can appreciate an excellent pair of buttocks performance as well as anyone.
And there's me thinking it was the hair.... I have to admit, I am now a tad more concerned. :shock:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:35 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:26 am I can appreciate an excellent pair of buttocks performance as well as anyone.
And there's me thinking it was the hair.... I have to admit, I am now a tad more concerned. :shock:
The best hair in rugby surely must go to the annoying 'My Little Pony' Faf.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I missed the incident, but not the match. Just adds to the misery of the Bath performance in the first 45 minutes or so, the TNT (Ex-'Queens Players commentary and well..). It was certainly a "Game of Two Halves though", despite the annoying commentary at times of his (DM :wink: :duck: ) insistent love of that bloody Wendyballer playing for the Lah-de-Dahs.

In all honesty though, how in God's name does this happen?! Could have a hell of an impact on the final standings (and finances) for the clubs. Bath had made an incredible comeback and who knows what the extra 3 minutes could have made?

Some poor ref'ing, but has to be said that was overall, not biased. This though.....

Harlequins v Bath: RFU Apologises for Timing Mistake Over Player in Sin-Bin[/b]

"The RFU has apologised after Harlequins lock Irne Herbst spent seven minutes in the sin-bin instead of 10 during a win over Bath - but the result will stand.

A timing error by officials meant Herbst was allowed to rejoin play early after receiving a yellow card.

Quins survived a Bath comeback to win the Premiership match 40-36.

"We would like to apologise to both teams for this mistake," said the RFU Professional Game Match Officials Team (PGMOT) in a statement.

"As is the usual process, the PGMOT will review all games to ensure continued improvement and learnings."

Harlequins appeared to be cruising and held a commanding 40-13 advantage when Herbst was yellow-carded in the 64th minute at Twickenham Stoop.

But Bath then hit back with two tries in quick succession before the South African returned to the field and made a crucial tackle as the home side clung on for victory.

Bath director of rugby Johan van Graan raised the error with referee Anthony Woodthorpe after the final whistle."

However, the PGMOT statement confirmed the result will stand, leaving second-placed Bath five points behind Premiership leaders Northampton Saints.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Some decent rugby coming up today ([EDIT] https://www.wheresthematch.com/live-rugby-union-on-tv/) - highlights for me being: -

Exeter vs Bath (Champions Cup - Last 16) 3pm UK
Ospreys vs Sale (ERC - Last 16) 8pm UK

These two could be very close IMHO - despite some recent results. Bath are unrecognisable in comparison to the last few seasons, but some decisions regarding "Squad Rotation" and use of substitutions have been open for discussion shall we say - 33 vs 3 down at HT last time out against 'Quins :( :roll: and Bath come back to 40 vs 36!! Exeter have had a very mixed season with some great wins, but last time out were hammered 5 vs 41 away to Sale :shock:

Ospreys have been the shining light for Welsh Rugby in an otherwise very gloomy period..... Despite Sale's overwhelming victory against Exeter last week, hopes are high for the Swansea outfit. Passion and confidence on the up, I have hope.... Well Christ, all hope for "my" Region the Scarlets has long vanished... :roll: :cry:

Adding insult to injury to Welsh Rugby however is the fact that the Ospreys will be playing at "Home" in Bridgend (Brewery Field) as their normal Home ground Swansea City's Liberty Stadium which is deemed to big for the expected crowd(s) (this one being for European knockout Rugby FFS!!) :cuss: :banghead: :banghead:

All Four Rugby Regions in Wales have recently posted losses of over £2 Million for the Financial Year.... A VERY SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!!

Thankyou WRU!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I was going to tank you for sorting out my day's rugby, but on closer examination I'll opt for:
Exeter-Bath 3pm
Bordeaux-Sarries 5.30pm
Lenister-Leicester 8pm
pharvey wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:59 pm Thankyou WRU!!
It's just occurred to me that my initials are PWRU, so from now on I wish to be known as Philip Welsh Rugby Union. :thumb:

But on second thoughts... :duck:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:27 pm I was going to tank you for sorting out my day's rugby, but on closer examination I'll opt for:
Exeter-Bath 3pm
Bordeaux-Sarries 5.30pm
Lenister-Leicester 8pm
Three games (plus the earlier F1 Qualifying) would be crossing a line with the LHG that is not on the cards shall we say..... I'm allowed the 3pm match, 5:30 will be an early dinner and "attention giving" before she has to go to work... So freedom for the late match!! Although, Leinster - Leicester is just going to be too one sided IMHO.... Ospreys it has to be!! :thumb:
dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:27 pm It's just occurred to me that my initials are PWRU, so from now on I wish to be known as Philip Welsh Rugby Union. :thumb:
Don't even go there!

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Stacks of European Rugby on again this weekend.... :thumb:

https://www.wheresthematch.com/live-rugby-union-on-tv/

Picks for me: -

Gloucester vs Ospreys (Friday 8:00pm UK) - Gloucester will be firm favourites with the Ospreys in uncharted territory getting to this stage in a European Competition for the first time. Would be quite something to get past Gloucester at Kingsholm in front of the Gloucester support and the "Shed"..... I dearly hope it's an away win!!

Bordeaux vs 'Quins (Saturday 3:00pm UK) - I can see 'Queens being handed their collective backsides here, but that in itself would be fun to watch :naughty: :duck: That said, if 'Quins through caution to the wind, you never know - they certainly have the backline that could cause an upset..

Leinster vs La Rochelle (Saturday 5:30pm UK) - Not many come away with a win against Leinster at home, but there's been some classics between these two.

Toulouse vs Exeter (Sunday 3:00pm UK) - Toulouse to give Exeter what they deserve after fluking a win against Bath!! :guns: :cuss:

And that will be Rugby "Burnout" for a little while!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh DAMN!! There's Northampton vs Bulls now starting..... I have free reign, the LHG is away..... Guilt or dare I blaspheme in saying too much rugby already this weekend?!! :shock: :shock:

No, damn it... I'm going to read the paper - pop into the garden, cook my supper!! But then, simply to appease the Rugby Gods, I shall keep the BT Box and TV on.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It was another good game.

I'm watching Toulouse-Exeter. You have to hand it these French fans: you won't find a more fair-minded, objective and less partisan group anywhere...
Likewise for the TV directors. :roll: :guns:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:56 pm You have to hand it these French fans: you won't find a more fair-minded, objective and less partisan group anywhere...
...other than pharvey, of course! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:31 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:56 pm You have to hand it these French fans: you won't find a more fair-minded, objective and less partisan group anywhere...
...other than pharvey, of course! :laugh: :laugh:
Oh now, now..... There's no need is there, how more fair minded could I be?

Anywho..... Current Exeter Captain Jack Yeandle could be in a spot of shite for this. I didn't see it during the match (well, annihilation), but it's been picked up by several viewers. No mention of a citing yet, but it does not look good. Very short video, so needs a couple of views. I assume there'll be more for the citing officer to look at, but.....

Yeandle does have a pretty decent deciplinary record - aside from a 3 week Ban a few years back. This however could be a tad different. Contact to the eye area is very much frowned upon - let alone eye-gouging and is pretty much top of the pile with regards to penalties handed out. Forget weeks, the starting point is likely to be months.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Owwww! That made me wince just looking at it! I was thinking maybe accidentla, but a second look makes that unlikely. And tjhere won't be a third look...
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 am I was thinking maybe accidental, but a second look makes that unlikely.
That's the thing - and I'm sure officials will be taking a far closer look. A ban well into next season is on the cards I think... Didn't think he was the type, but maybe just hid it well. There's obviously a lot of the "Dark Arts" that goes unseen, but eye-gouging is a serious no-no. Prevalent in French rugby in past years and almost expected years back. I toured to the south of France at age grade rugby (a little while back :wink: ) and I and 2 others in the pack suffered from it - two of us needing multiple stiches. Back then, it was normal - these days it's (thankfully) a disgrace.

He'll be lucky to get away with under 3 months IMHO, but likely deserves nearer 6.

[EDIT] And I'm blaming French Rugby!! Sorry, simply happened to be a match against the French.. Hey-ho :oops:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 am Owwww! That made me wince just looking at it! I was thinking maybe accidentla, but a second look makes that unlikely. And tjhere won't be a third look...
Going back to this, I've seen/heard nothing more - he was back playing last weekend and will no doubt be on the pitch again this weekend. Something is very wrong here.... :tsk:

Huge matches again this weekend with the URC and Premiership getting to the playoff stages. The Ospreys being the (only) shining light for Welsh Rugby gunning for the next stage - away to the Bulls is a big, big match. The Ospreys currently in 7th and the Bulls in 4th....

The Premiership is incredibly tight for the playoffs and this weekend's games are going to be quite something! Friday's match between Bath and Sarries is obviously the highlight for me, but it's going to be a tough one - especially with Bath missing a few first choice players including the maverick that is Russell.

Leicester vs Bristol, "DM's 'Queens" vs Northampton - hell, it's going to be good. Just looking at the current table: -
Prem-Table.jpg
Prem-Table.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Many more matches to pick from!! https://www.wheresthematch.com/live-rugby-union-on-tv/

Enjoy :thumb: