The Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: The Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Thread

Post by STEVE G »

^I would be way more likely to buy a bitcoin ETF from Blackrock than invest in crypto any other way.
I can buy their products through a securities account with my bank.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, so will 99% of average investors which is why it is such a big deal. BlackRock et al now have to actually buy Bitcoin to back their spot ETF - its not the same as futures. BTC prices only going one way!

We're also likely to see similar spot ETFs for Ethereum approved in the U.S. later this year.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

The whole narrative on crypto is about to change.

Instead of the media portraying it as a Ponzi scheme, a scam, a black market currency for criminals and terrorists etc….the hardest asset know to man now has the backing of Wall Street and the US government.

Marketing campaigns will grasp the attention of those who have in the past ignored Bitcoin and financial advisers the world over will begin to educate retail investors on the benefits of allocating some portion of a portfolio towards the asset.

It will remain volatile for some time but there is no getting away from the fact that the Bitcoin train is about to gain significant momentum over the next decade.

A historic day for those who have remained committed over the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I never had a great deal invested in "Crypto", but have gone through different emotions with it nonetheless. Why did I buy? Why didn't I buy more? Oh shit, why did I sell? What am I doing...?

Well, I've lost nothing - perhaps on paper (or in the E-verse) even made something. I know I can use to make purchases - which I've recently done without additional charges. I'm using Coinbase and did have huge problems with them previously, but now knowing a bit more that's all sorted (despite time and headaches).

It's here to stay no doubt, but very volatile - hence the fact I never did put much in and still won't, despite the fact that it looks like it may well sky rocket once again.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Henry 14th wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:37 pm The whole narrative on crypto is about to change.
Not for Thailand apparently. Just winds me up when western media keep labelling Thailand as "crypto-friendly" - it isn't.

Regulator nixes launch of Bitcoin ETFs
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) says it does not plan to allow asset management firms to launch spot Bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in Thailand at the moment after its US counterpart approved the establishment of 11 Bitcoin ETFs last week.

On Jan 11, the US SEC approved rule changes to allow the creation of listed ETFs, marking a turning point for the world's largest cryptocurrency and the broader crypto industry. Among the 11 approved ETF issuers is BlackRock, the world's largest asset manager.

The approval has prompted Thai securities brokerage firms to encourage Thai investors to invest in US spot Bitcoin ETFs directly.

"The SEC has been following these developments closely but we do not have a policy to allow spot Bitcoin ETFs to be established in Thailand for the time being," the regulator said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... tcoin-etfs

There was also the news of Binance launching in Thailand yesterday, but not allowing foreigners to use the platform (likely a choice made for them by the aforementioned financial regulators and not the firm itself.)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

buksida wrote:
Henry 14th wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:37 pm The whole narrative on crypto is about to change.
Not for Thailand apparently. Just winds me up when western media keep labelling Thailand as "crypto-friendly" - it isn't.

Regulator nixes launch of Bitcoin ETFs
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) says it does not plan to allow asset management firms to launch spot Bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in Thailand at the moment after its US counterpart approved the establishment of 11 Bitcoin ETFs last week.

On Jan 11, the US SEC approved rule changes to allow the creation of listed ETFs, marking a turning point for the world's largest cryptocurrency and the broader crypto industry. Among the 11 approved ETF issuers is BlackRock, the world's largest asset manager.

The approval has prompted Thai securities brokerage firms to encourage Thai investors to invest in US spot Bitcoin ETFs directly.

"The SEC has been following these developments closely but we do not have a policy to allow spot Bitcoin ETFs to be established in Thailand for the time being," the regulator said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... tcoin-etfs

There was also the news of Binance launching in Thailand yesterday, but not allowing foreigners to use the platform (likely a choice made for them by the aforementioned financial regulators and not the firm itself.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand's SEC Breaks New Ground in 2024 With Crypto-Friendly Rules
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) of Thailand is transitioning toward more crypto-friendly regulations, with an updated framework published earlier this month.

Thai SEC regulates cryptocurrencies under the Digital Asset Businesses Decree, focusing on areas like sales, trading and initial coin offerings (ICOs). Digital asset businesses operating in Thailand are required to obtain licenses and comply with the rules set forth by the SEC as outlined in this decree, the SEC has said.

The SEC's updated framework removes retail investors' limits for asset-backed tokens, creates new rules for custodians and gives the agency a larger role in monitoring digital asset business.

This month's removal of the investment limit for retail investors in digital tokens backed by real estate or infrastructure marks a significant shift. Previous rules had limited retail investors to 300,000 baht (approximately $8,400) per offering in asset-backed ICOs.

The change is expected to widen the market for a broader range of investors and support the nation’s digital asset market development.

The SEC update also requires the establishment of dedicated entities for custodial wallet management. However, these providers must be subsidiaries of publicly listed companies with a track record in secure securities storage.

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2024/01 ... dly-rules/
buksida

Post by buksida »

The new govt seems to be doing positive things in this sector (at least for Thais) ...

Crypto trading becomes VAT-free in race for digital
The Finance Ministry has announced the exemption of value-added tax (VAT) on digital asset trading to push Thailand towards becoming a digital asset hub.

Paopoom Rojanasakul, secretary to the finance minister, said the ministry wants to promote digital assets as a new alternative tool for fundraising.

The authorities hope that this will support the growth of the digital asset industry in Thailand as well as provide the necessary boost to facilitate the country's digital economy in the near future.

Aiming to develop Thailand to be the region's digital asset hub, the ministry has eased tax rules by suspending the requirement to pay 7% VAT on income derived from cryptocurrency and digital token trading.

The VAT exemption is effective on Jan 1, 2024, with no expiration date.

The transfer of digital investment tokens to a third party is still exempt from VAT. This has been the case since May 14, 2023.

The VAT exemption on digital asset trading, which used to be applicable only to authorised digital asset exchanges, now includes brokers and dealers under the supervision of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/in ... or-digital
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bitcoin price hits $64K as traders anticipate new all-time high before halving
Bitcoin price rallied in excess of 10% to a new 2024 high at $64,000 on Feb. 28. The bulk of this month’s 50% price move is being attributed to investors’ anticipation of the upcoming supply halving event, which is typically followed by strong upside price action.

The steady inflows to the recently launched spot Bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are also thought to be playing a critical role in Bitcoin’s price action.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin- ... re-halving
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bitcoin price soars to B2.37m on Bitkub
The price of Bitcoin on Bitkub Exchange hit a new record high of 2.37 million baht on Wednesday after the global price of the cryptocurrency on Tuesday beat its record of US$69,000 per token in November 2021, rallying by 190% over the last year.

According to Coin Metrics, a crypto financial intelligence site, Bitcoin reached a new peak of $69,210 on March 5, breaking the previous record of $68,982.20 on Nov 10, 2021.

Clara Medalie, research director at crypto data provider Kaiko, said the new record is "an important psychological milestone" and "demonstrates crypto's remarkable ability to bounce back and continue to persevere despite major headwinds".

Since the beginning of February, investors have been watching key themes in the Bitcoin narrative push its price higher.

Catalysts driving the surge include the US spot Bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETFs) starting trading earlier this year, along with a tightening supply ahead of the late April halving.

The price surged 150% last year, outperforming the US stock market, where the S&P 500 index rose just 24%.

On Thailand's Bitkub Digital Asset Exchange, prices reached a new high of 2.3 million baht from the original price of 2,285,500 baht in 2021.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... -on-bitkub
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

These are incredible numbers. Out of curiosity, what was a Bitcoin worth when you started out.

[Edit] I've just answered my own question. In June 2017, you wrote:
Bitcoin, which currently trades at about 92,000 baht per unit, nearly three times its value just three months ago.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Took a huge £6000 dump on Tuesday in a matter of hours. Clawed most of it back now.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

And it keeps going, all-time high of $72,500 now ... (2.57M THB)

Bitcoin tops $71,000 for the first time as rally builds steam
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/in ... ilds-steam
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And not many would disagree with the sentence handed out - where's the $11 Billion though?

"Sam Bankman-Fried - also known as SBF - has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for stealing billions of dollars from customers of his cryptocurrency exchange FTX"

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us- ... n=BBCS_BBC
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.