Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Post by STEVE G »

Where you'll save compared to the west is on accommodation.
Yes, 1,500 USD is only slightly more than what I pay for rent in Luxembourg city and my studio apartment is too small for two people.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The original article the story is based upon from the PR Department is nothing more than a lure and a scam. Yes, you can live on it, but no you really can't, unless you're in a one room Thai mansion type apartment putting Thai food 3 meals a day into a 65 +year old stomach, have no air conditioner, no car, no cell phone, no internet, no satellite TV, no health insurance, and basically no life.

That last part is the saddest part. Hopes and dreams followed by a mess they can't afford to fix unless they can tap children/relatives to come and save them.

The article is no different or better than the Chinese internet scams, except that this one made it into mainstream print.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^If life was that cheap in Thailand, I would have retired ten years ago!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Daft question I guess, but what's the cost of gas (not petrol) and how much is really used in Thailand? From what I've always seen, gas (other than charcoal/bbq) is used on the cooking front. Electricity is the main source of power of course, but there is Solar.

In the UK, it's a major source of heating and cooking....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A lot, perhaps majority, of the electricity here is generated by natural gas pumped out of the wells in the Gulf, and imported. It's all part of the electricity bill equation and not separated/visible in anyway that I've ever seen.

Other is the cooking gas bottles just about every household and restaurant uses. Normal house size is tank 16.5kg, gas 15.0 kg, total 31.5kg. I think it's selling at around 365 Baht per tank these days? Then there are the big rig trucks powered by LPG or similar, and some converted cars.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As mentioned above, we use gas for cooking (and the occasional BBQ) and for the main house, the large cylinder lasts for ages - I don’t monitor as such but reckon we only use about 2 cylinders a year so it works out very cheap and of course there’s no standing charge to pay like there is in the UK.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I guess it also depends on where you live.
I visited a friend in NongKhai before Christmas. Planned for 3 days, stayed for 3 weeks. He rents a 2 bedroom house with Utility Room, Huge Kitchen/Diner, Large living room, Shower room, 2 toilets, garden, car port. He pays 2,500 baht p.m. It was pretty much unfurnished when he got it so has had to furnish it himself.

You can rent a 2 bedroom bungalow long term for 4,000 pm.

A large Chang will cost you 60 baht in the bars. Massive 'Full English' for less than 200 baht. There is a small bintabaht type area where the bars often stay open all night. In the 3 weeks I was there I NEVER saw a cop on the streets.

Plus you have Laos just over the water. You can be in Vientienne in half an hour. And of course, Laos is even cheaper.

Udon Thani a short drive away for the 'big town' nightlife when/if you want it.

My friend runs a car and is out and about several days of the week. Eats out every other day. (Takes a girl on occasion. Bar fines are negligible and the girl is quite happy with a thousand or so in the morning)

Admitted, he's not a couple but he lives on less than the 54,000 baht (1,500 USD) suggested.
Having been in Hua Hin for 24 years, I'm seriously contemplating upping sticks and moving!
KanDoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KanDoo »

^^

I did pretty much the same thing right there in Hua Hin and did it for years. I did not have the same house your friend had but all else much the same. Played pool in the various leagues 4+ times a week, drank beer as I felt, took my pleasures in the same way. I ate mostly Thai food because I like it. All on less than 40K baht and, I assure you, did not want for a thing.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see and hear what you say, but I've always said it takes a very special type of person to live that way. I've seen many try it, and almost as many fail. A few years back we had richard document his move (still on the Forum), and everything started very rosy - even built his own man cave. However, he soon started craving for the city life - started by moving to a large Northern City, but latterly ended up back in Hua Hin to see out his days.

If you can do it, like KanDoo, I take my hat off to you. I most certainly couldn't.

Having said that, things have vastly improved up North in recent years. My wife's village even has water, electricity and roads these days. However, I was put off, personally, in much darker days.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

From International Living, the people who originally came out with this idea;

https://internationalliving.com/countri ... -thailand/

Here’s an example of a monthly budget for a couple living in Chiang Mai:

Expense U.S. $

Rent (two-bedroom house) $496
Electricity $105
Gas & Water $7
Cell Phones (x2) $30
Groceries & Household Items $120
Insurance $150
Internet $19
Streaming Media Accounts $45
Taxis, Buses $40
Property Tax $2
Dining Out $150

Monthly total: $1,164

I've never lived in Chang Mai so I've no idea if it's realistic.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It doesn’t sound totally unrealistic - I’m sure they’ll be people who could do it and be quite happy with their lives, but equally they’ll be others who couldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Sounds really nice. Nice fresh air, no mention of any pollution. Health care is relatively cheap, no mention of needing health insurance (or ability to afford it in older age).

Bliss!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I see and hear what you say, but I've always said it takes a very special type of person to live that way.
Nongkhai isn't a village. It does have all the mod cons, bars (even farang owned), restaurants (and a good selection both farang and Thai), girls!, a very friendly farang population, Makro, Lotus's, 7/11's (of course), banks, internet/wifi, hospitals, health centres.

The BIB are hardly visible.

The traffic in the city can be bad but the roads connecting to Khon Kaen and Udon Tani are excellent. You can easily get to Luang Prabang in Laos or a trip to Vietnam (both by high speed train)

Can't understand why you believe it takes a special type of person!!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I really liked Nong Khai, spent a couple of nights there once after visiting Vientiane, I thought it had a really nice vibe, especially along the river front. It was the same in Vientiane as well, except the other side of the Mekong! Alas, the other half is from KK, so knows NK and Ventiane well, so too familiar for her really. It was odd to see her chatting away happily with everyone in Laos though. Isaan lingo!
Talk is cheap