Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:54 pm Nongkhai isn't a village. It does have all the mod cons, bars (even farang owned), restaurants (and a good selection both farang and Thai), girls!, a very friendly farang population, Makro, Lotus's, 7/11's (of course), banks, internet/wifi, hospitals, health centres.

The BIB are hardly visible.

The traffic in the city can be bad but the roads connecting to Khon Kaen and Udon Tani are excellent. You can easily get to Luang Prabang in Laos or a trip to Vietnam (both by high speed train)

Can't understand why you believe it takes a special type of person!!!
So are a lot of the places I used to frequent up North.

Yes, I agree, they can be beautiful, short term, but in my experience, very few who make the move are still there 12 months later.

I don't really see what visibility of BIB have to do with very much unless you are doing something wrong :?

Probably the only person I've personally known to successfully make the full time transition is Norseman. There are a few part-timers that regularly return for their fix of sanity.

Personally, I've done several long periods up North, but can't manage more than a week these days. The one Northern exception would probably be Chiang Mai - I do like it a lot there, and do feel quite comfortable when I'm there.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for your input, BB.
I mentioned the non-visible BIB, not because I'm doing anything wrong but just to show there's no 'shake-downs' which you sometimes get here.
The friend I have in Nong Khai who has lived in Thailand for almost 30 years, made the move, literally on a whim. 15 years ago, he got in his car for a drive and finished up in Nong Khai. Left his house and family behind. He found an instant welcome from people he'd never met and he's still there today. Previously, I'd only passed through Nong Khai but after spending 3 weeks with him getting to know the farang community and sampling the daily routines, I fully understand why he's still there.
I will probably make the move before the end of the year. It will be quite a wrench as having lived here for 24 years, I've become part of the furniture. Everyone knows me. I'll be leaving a lot behind but if your surmise is right then I can always return.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:05 am I mentioned the non-visible BIB, not because I'm doing anything wrong but just to show there's no 'shake-downs' which you sometimes get here.
Did you not read what I wrote about BIB up North 2 days ago on the News thread? The worst shakedown I've ever encountered, and I've always thought Northern police are only 2nd to Bangkok when inventing crime.

However, the discussion on police would most be better in a different thread. This should be about Chiang Mai.

Points 48; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:11 am Did you not read what I wrote about BIB up North 2 days ago on the News thread?
I didnt notice it until you just mentioned it!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, you hardly see them, but when they do come out to play.................. :cuss: :cuss:

Points 48; Position 21
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Left his house and family behind
Old school, respect! Far too many men staying with their family nowadays if you ask me. :laugh:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Lost wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:37 am
Left his house and family behind
Old school, respect! Far too many men staying with their family nowadays if you ask me. :laugh:
Maybe that's how he ended up in Thailand in the first place!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:43 amProbably the only person I've personally known to successfully make the full time transition is Norseman.
Are you mixing up Nong Khai with Nong Ki? Two very different places.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm simply referring to Northern towns/villages, nowhere in particular.

Points 48; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

caller wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm
Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:43 amProbably the only person I've personally known to successfully make the full time transition is Norseman.
Are you mixing up Nong Khai with Nong Ki? Two very different places.
My partner is from just north of Nong Ki and there are a surprising number of Farangs living around the area.
It wouldn't be something that I could do longterm but for some it works.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course, and these are the people I consider 'special'.

Points 48; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^One thing I noticed is that quite a few of them came from rural and farming backgrounds so were much more used to that kind of environment.
I've spent my life around cities and am not really happy in the countryside. I like to see it and can entertain myself for about a week but after that, I get bored.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'm not saying anything bad about these guys, in fact I respect what they can achieve. I've seen so many try, and fail. Personally, I find myself counting butterflies and lizards after a few days. When that happens, I know it's time to leave.

Points 48; Position 21