Can you help identify the Buddha image style?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Can you help identify the Buddha image style?

Post by Ratsima »

The photos below were taken in the cave that is up and behind Wat Tham Chaeng (วัดถ้ำแจง) which is adjacent to and reachable from the new Phetchaburi Immigration building.

I've been there several times, but this last time I noticed that the large Buddha image inside is rather unusual for Thailand. The hair is straight rather than in tight curls. The gesture is of the Teaching Mudra (defeating Mara is more common in Thailand).

I've searched around a bit and can't find photo of a Buddha image with that sort of straight hair.

Perhaps one hint is that nearby is the Khok Setthi Historical Site which is the remains of a Dvaravati period (pre 11th century) Chedi. But, all the Dvaravati style Buddha images I've seen have the same curly hair as seen in most Thai Buddha images.

Any ideas?
buddha2.jpg
buddha1.jpg
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Can you help identify the Buddha image style?

Post by dtaai-maai »

From my extensive knowledge of all things religious, I am delighted to be able to inform you that the Gandhara style is characterized by the hair straight and flowing with the uppermost part perched up in a bun.

If I can be of further assistance, do let me know. There will, of course, be a small fee. :thumb:
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

All very interesting. And having quickly read up on this and that the centre of Gandharan Buddhism was much further to the North and West, encompassing India and Afghanistan, is how such an image came to be in Phetchaburi in the first place?
Talk is cheap
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

caller wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:18 pm All very interesting. And having quickly read up on this and that the centre of Gandharan Buddhism was much further to the North and West, encompassing India and Afghanistan, is how such an image came to be in Phetchaburi in the first place?
I was wondering the same thing. A style from two thousand years ago ends up on a Buddha Image in a cave in Cha Am?

For those interested in further reading, there is, of course, a Wikipedia article on Greco-Buddhist Art.

Based on that article it appears that the curly hair style that we see almost everywhere now, originated during that period: "stylized Mediterranean curly hair and top-knot apparently derived from the style of the Belvedere Apollo (330 BC)".

The article has a photo of a straight haired version.
SFAAMBuddha.jpg
All very interesting. Thanks to dtaai-maai.