Flights to/from Thailand status, news, and updates

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Re: Flights to/from Thailand status, news, and updates

Post by Big Boy »

I walked through Don Mueang late Sunday evening and thought how badly designed the airport was. Huge corridors being lit/air conditioned. Then at the end of the corridors vast expanses of nothingness, again being lit/air conditioned. There really was a lot of wasted space/electricity.

Then the actual floors were so highly polished, together with the reflection of the excessive lighting above, it was actually hurting my eyes/making me feel unsteady on my feet.

IMHO the entire Don Mueang airport needs review.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I looked but couldn’t find when the current terminal was built, but it’s obviously quite old, so no surprise that it’s not an efficient layout - hopefully something that will be rectified in the update?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That article alone says a lot. It used to cater for 105,000 passengers a day, but now caters for 20,000.

Obviously a lot of expense involved spending that huge sum of cash expanding the airport to 40% of what it used to be :?

Bonkers.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:32 am That article alone says a lot. It used to cater for 105,000 passengers a day, but now caters for 20,000.

Obviously a lot of brown envelopes involved spending that huge sum of cash expanding the airport to 40% of what it used to be :?

Bonkers.
Note: The above article is dated 2010 as the only one I could find. Posted for the technical data more so than any current volume/redesign data.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course, but the fact the airport functioned at 105,000 passengers per day, and that is actually 38,000,000 / 365, so daily numbers would have well exceeded that number. Now they want to throw a load of money at what looked to be a pretty good airport on Sunday to upgrade it to handle less than 40% of what it used to handle. You have to wonder what they are going to spend the money on.

I did notice a lot of technology solutions already, which are usually expensive - robots constantly cleaning, check-in, etc. very smooth with bar code technology doing the work. Accommodation seemed plentiful - spare seats a plenty. Numerous food and drink outlets.

Obviously, the RTAF want their cut already for the golf course.

Points 51; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....Numerous food and drink outlets.
That's the one thing I missed when Don Muang stopped handling international flights, there used to be some decent pubs there where you could waste an hour or two waiting for your flight.
There was that large Bill Bentley place on the mezzanine above the check-in hall, a bar with a beer garden outside on the roof of the terminal and I seem to remember a German style bar as well.
Suvarnabhumi is just a shopping mall in comparison.