The Beer Thread 2

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: The Beer Thread 2

Post by buksida »

2/cb wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:40 am Carabao is definitely superior to Singha, etc. Not widely available unfortunately.
All the CJ stores stock Carabao beers, they own the franchise. Its a shame most of the bars and restaurants still only sell the 'chemical three' though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. Nite Hunter has a new-to-me IPA. The ABV is 6.8% with an IBU of 45. I like it. I still like the M32 IPA better, but this is pretty good. As expected, it's brewed in Chachoengsao by Thai Spirit Industries. I bought the last two that Lotus's Cha Am had on display.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What beers are palatable to drink warm, and is the definition of "Warm" room temperature or a bit more chilled than that? Like the difference between on a shelf in a non-aircon pub, and in an aircon pub?

I know the British are experts on this subject.

I ask as the wife came home with my current local favourite, Budweiser Lager (Beechwood aged), No time to chill it. The taste warm was exceptional compared to when it is ice cold? I was a bit shocked at that revelation. Clear and pleasant taste of the Beechwood process.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^I've always been curious as to why some people insist on drinking beer as cold as possible because at very low temperatures, your taste buds stop working and you loose the taste of the beer.
Traditional British beers were pumped from kegs in the cellar and were at that temperature, I suppose a few degrees below room temperature. ( In the UK, not an open bar in Thailand! )
404cameljockey
Legend
Legend

Post by 404cameljockey »

Cellar temperature should be a few degrees below bar temperature, I'm talking about in a proper British pub. A few tied houses offer a seasonal winter ale which would be tapped on a shelf behind the bar, so room temperature (I know only Young's Brewery a strong dark Winter Warmer, and maybe still Shepherd Neame a Stock Ale, thin and cheap). Other people may be able to add to the list. At the Great British Beer Festival and other local ones years ago all beers would be at room temperature apart from lagers. But I don't know about festivals this century! Most brown ales I think still usually aren't served cold but I's say it's a growing trend for upmarket pubs (Newcastle Brown and Manns should be cold, for me). Bottled pale and export ales the same. Ambient temperature isn't my favourite for bitter ales, slightly under is perfect, and drawn by a mechanical hand pump for a light frothy head which disappears after a minute.

Can you still get light ale for a pint of light and bitter?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:19 am Can you still get light ale for a pint of light and bitter?
When younger, a pint of Youngs cold light and bitter was my absolute favourite - money paid a part in that. In my local, you would get 3/4 of a pint of bitter, with the bottle of light ale served alongside, to be poured as you wished. So in efffect you got more than a pint every time. But eventually, I switched to just having a pint of ordinary.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Legend
Legend

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:21 pm When younger, a pint of Youngs cold light and bitter was my absolute favourite - money paid a part in that. In my local, you would get 3/4 of a pint of bitter, with the bottle of light ale served alongside, to be poured as you wished. So in effect you got more than a pint every time. But eventually, I switched to just having a pint of ordinary.
Light and bitter was my drink in my young days for the same reason, almost a pint and a half from our lovely Irish publican, wife, and rosy cheeked daughter. But after leaving school I worked near a City of London Youngs pub where a 'pint of mixed' (special and ordinary) was our tipple. Perfect balance. We're still (I think ten of us) Youngs small shareholders decades later, as back in the day it meant entry to their AGM, which was awash with free beer, wine and spirits and a great food selection. Praise be to John Young, RIP!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^I was in a pub in the UK a couple of years ago when someone tried to order a mixed beer drink and was refused.
After a bit of argument, the manager appeared and politely explained that under current licencing law, you have to display the alcohol content of any drink you sell and you can't do that with a mixed beer.
They settled on two half pints and an empty pint glass!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Many years ago, I spent a year in Newcastle (NE England).

So, as we wanted to get smashed asap and as cheaply as possible, there was a Snakebite. Half lager and half cider.

I never found a pub up there who'd serve it. Sure, we mixed at the table but were always firmly told afterwards to drink up and go.

Except the student bar.

I'm not joking, you had to queue for drinks there (stopping any problems at last orders?). Anyway, there were two blokes in front of me and they were ordering two pints of snakebite each and then going to the back of the queue, quaffing them and then reordering.

They were doing it for a laugh but God knows what chariot got them home.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:48 pm Many years ago, I spent a year in Newcastle (NE England).

So, as we wanted to get smashed asap and as cheaply as possible, there was a Snakebite. Half lager and half cider.

I never found a pub up there who'd serve it. Sure, we mixed at the table but were always firmly told afterwards to drink up and go.

Except the student bar.

I'm not joking, you had to queue for drinks there (stopping any problems at last orders?). Anyway, there were two blokes in front of me and they were ordering two pints of snakebite each and then going to the back of the queue, quaffing them and then reordering.

Oh Snakebite.... Quite the pint for memory loss and a sore head. Used to drink it on occasion during my younger years - those occasions when common sense generally went out the window. Living some years in SW England (family still there), the local "Scrumpy" ("Farm Cider") was quite enough neat!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:11 pm
lomuamart wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:48 pm Many years ago, I spent a year in Newcastle (NE England).

Except the student bar.

Oh Snakebite.... Quite the pint for memory loss and a sore head. Used to drink it on occasion during my younger years - those occasions when common sense generally went out the window. Living some years in SW England (family still there), the local "Scrumpy" ("Farm Cider") was quite enough neat!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Inch’s Rough?

I have fond memories of spending a weeks holiday in North Devon in the mid 70’s at an old Manor House at what was once the Sheriff of Devon’s family home. This was on a B,B&E meal basis and included with the evening meal was a jug of Inch’s cider - strong stuff!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:48 pm Except the student bar.

Most of my son's mates chose their Uni based on the reputation of the Student Bar, not what the standard of education was. Prices were remarkably cheap as well.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
404cameljockey
Legend
Legend

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:33 pm Most of my son's mates chose their Uni based on the reputation of the Student Bar, not what the standard of education was. Prices were remarkably cheap as well.
My friend studying pure maths at Leicester Uni long ago was 'invited to leave' as he spent more time running the student bar than attending lectures. Can't blame him, pure maths is madness but not of the good kind. Prices were absurdly low, but he's an old accountant now.

Cider with a gin top was the drink when I used to visit a friend near Bath. Kneecracker Dry in gallon jugs was the cider. The hangover puts snakebite to shame. I can't recall who made it but it seems it was was commemorated in Dungeons and Dragons 'Forgotten Realms' campaign, which was a game we played a lot back in the 70s.

I do love a really dry farm cider, cloudy with tiny flecks of apple still visible.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We're drifting further and further from topic (yes, me as well :oops:). Can we get back to beer please?

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I was shopping for beer today when I was reminded that two of Thailand's original and perhaps best craft brewers, Mahanakhon and Outlaw, are still brewing in neighboring countries. This in spite of the fact that Thai Spirit Industry, a contract brewer, has made it quite easy to brew decent small batch beers in country.

Anyone have a guess as to why this might be; especially given that the tax burden on locally brewed beers is somewhat less?