Non Immigrant/Marriage visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Non Immigrant/Marriage visa

Post by Zidane »

I've got a 12 month Non-Immigrant O Visa from the UK for Thailand.
I presume that the 90 day visa run will be to Ranong and across to Burma but I am married to a Thai and eventually will want to replace my Non-Immigrant visa with a Marriage visa.
Where would I apply for the Marriage Visa.......Hua-Hin or Bangkok ??

ALSO
If I wanted a new Non-Immigrant O visa after 12 months,instead,is the nearest place to obtain that Penang ?

Thanks for your help.

Zidane
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, the closest point to exit and re-enter is Ranong. You know that if you exit just before the visa expires (a couple of days before is polite), you'll get a further 90 day stay, thus effectively making the visa work for 15 months.
This is just terminology, but the extension is now actually one based on family income, not marriage. Pure semantics, I know, but that changed last October. Also, it's not a new visa, but an extension to the one you have. Imm usually like you apply withing the last month of any 90 day entry.
You'll only be able to apply for the extension on the basis of a minimum combined income of 40k a month. The 400k in a Thai bank account no longer applies to new applicants.
Strictly speaking, you should apply in HH, but I've been having trouble with them. They want to see the 40k income coming into a Thai bank account. The fact I can demonstrate more than twice that in my UK bank account won't wash with them. I'm considering going to BKK and seeing what they say, but havn't done so yet so can't advise whether they'll accept applications, or just refer me back to HH. The ultimate decision as to whether to grant the extension is made in BKK though, not HH which only processes it.
It's difficult to say which Embassy/consulate will grant another multi Non O in a year's time. Currently, Singapore are (as long as you show the equivalent of 400k in any bank account - it dosn't have to in Thailand). Penang are mooted to have started issuing them again, but it's not clear if people are being asked for proof of finances. Smaller consulates in Australia are said to be good. Failing all of those, it's return home and apply in your country of residence. Things seem to change daily, however, so you're best to wait until nearer the time and check again then.
Penang always have and still do issue single entry Non O's with a copy of the marriage certificate and copy of your wife's ID card. Obviously, this is good for 90 days and there is currently no limit to the number of times you can get these - no financial evidence necessary.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

The issuing of multiple non-O visas is, as lomu says, something that seems to change every few months. However, to add to his list, I got one in Kuala Lumpur in February this year with no request (and there shouldn't be any) for anything about my finances. That really is only applicable if you apply for the extension in Thailand, but some consulates have taken affairs into their own hands apparently. I am going to be trotting off to the immigration office in HH soon to either apply for the extension or to see if they will give me a few extra days until I fly to the UK (end of August) to save me the Ranong run. Not overly optimistic about the latter so may just try for the extension instead because at least it would give me the necessary grace period before I go to the UK (or so I believe), and I can get a new 90 day stamp on my return. If someone knows how the system works please enlighten me though!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

WL,
Reckon you're definitely best off asking at Imm. I have a feeling that your 90 day entry can't be extended, but you never know - maybe you might get 7 days?
If you apply for the family extension before you go to the UK, you'll be given a stamp "under consideration" for 30 days. I would have thought that you'd need to be back here to report on that day and either get the extension, or another under consideration. If you're back in the UK on that date, I don't know what'll happen to the application - maybe it goes back to day zero again, in which case I bet they want another 1,900 Baht to start the process again on your return.
If you get any info from HH, it would be good to know.
Hopefully, you'll get a few days grace with an extension.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've just thought.
If you go with your flight tickets, you'll have a much better chance of getting what you want.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Guys,
Thanks for your replies which are very informative.
I used to live in Udon Thani and did the 90 day visa run to Nong Khai and across the Friendship Bridge into Laos.
It was an easy 45 minute trip but Ranong will be a different kettle of fish.
If its only every 90 days I'm sure I can live with it,though.
I should also meet the criteria for the Marriage Visa,though the thought of all the paperwork and Thai bureaucracy is a bit daunting !
Cheers.

Zidane
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Zidane,
Even if you end up doing the 90 day runs to Ranong for a while it's not too bad. The bus in a day is a bind, but it's doable leaving HH at 8am and probably getting back at 1am the next day. If you drive under your own steam, or taxi it, it's maybe 5 hours each way. Alternatively, you can take the train to Chumpon (4-5 hours, but you can have a drink etc and walk around), stay overnight in a decent central hotel for 450 Baht and catch a shared minibus the next morning. It's only 2 hours from Chumpon to Ranong, so if you get to Imm early enough to miss the madding crowds from Phuket on visa runs as well, your business is taken care of easily by midday. Then it's just getting back here to HH, but buses run almost every hour.
I've got a list of the paperwork HH Imm want to see (at least current as of 1.5 months ago). Photos, letter from landlord/title deeds, blah blah blah. Let me know if you want the definitive version. Really, it seems a lot, but won't take too much time to get together. The financial info is the one though, plus letter from your Embassy in BKK.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Just an update which might be of interest. I went to Immigration in Soi Pothole, sorry, 102, today and was very pleasantly surprised. It wasn't very busy, maybe half a dozen people being seen or waiting for someone, and I was beckoned over immediately by a youngish chap who looked vaguely familiar, possibly from either Singkhon or possibly Ranong. Anyway i explained that i was flying out on the 28th but my 90 day stay runs out tomorrow (16th) and politely asked if there was any chance of getting a small (12 day) extension.

His immediate response was that they could give me 7 days, after looking at my passport, and then my wife came over and they had a short conversation in Thai, which basically amounted to her asking what i had just asked for, which he then responded by asking if we were married and did we have the marriage certificate with us? We did (foresight on my part) and he briefly consulted with another officer then came back and told me i could have an extra 60 days 'to visit family'! All i had to do was give copies of the relevant passport pages and TM card, marriage certificate and wife's ID card, paid 1900 baht and that was that - complete result!

We were not there longer than about 20 m inutes in total, and while we were there I also enquired what i would need to produce to be able to extend my non immigrant visa to a one year stay with 90 day reporting. Basically he told me that i could produce a letter from my bank outside of Thailand stating that i received at least 40k baht (or equivalent) every month and also what the source of my funds was, and he suggested that this letter is also authorised by my Embassy. Along with that i have to take marriage certificate and he said that the birth certificate of our baby would also help plus of course the relevant form filled in (and probably a photo of me as well i should imagine). I queried if there had to be any evidence of the money coming into Thailand and he said no. I also asked if there was any particular time this application should be made (i.e. within the last few weeks of a visa/90 day period) and he again said no, that it could be any time within the validity of the visa. I am going to try and make sure that I see the same guy when I do eventually go to do this as he knew what he was talking about based on the published rules, and he even showed my wife the requirement guidelines printed in Thai.

Hopefully this means that the rules are now clear and being applied as intended, but it will be interesting if lomu or anyone else again finds different. I have certainly never heard of a 60 day extension to a 90 day stay before but I guess anything is possible if you have the right approach and get the right officer on the right day. All i can say is that he was friendly and efficient and was operating from the desk furthest to the right as you walk in!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Good for you, WL. Glad it all worked out.
Your information regarding where in 40k income has to be has certainly given me food for thought. I'll have to think about whether I try again. As you'll well know, it can be extremely difficult to get them to back down once they've made a decision. I can't imagine that I'll be forgotten in the Office, at least not by the woman officer - not that I caused a scene.
One thing that would put me off going there again is that it might affect others' applications. I can hardly say "Someone I know was told by this office that the 40k dosn't have to be sent to Thailand".
I'm afraid it's another example of inconsistencies with Immigration and probably their misunderstanding of their own laws.
I remember the woman saying to me that the reason they wanted to see money in a Thai bank was that it proved I was taking care of my wife???? When I pointed out that "support for a Thai wife" had nothing to do with it since Oct 1st 2006 and that the extension was now granted on family income, she didn't like it one bit. Still working in the dark ages, that one.
Anyway, well done again. I'm fuming :cuss: :cuss: Only joking, I won't queer the pitch for you. have a good time back in Blighty.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi guys

Just a short update. Panang will only issue a 90 day visa based on marriage - the result from my previous application.

Last month I went to KL to apply for a one year Non imm O. I needed my passport,a copy of my marriage certificate, copies of childrens birth certificates, copy of wife's ID and copy of house registration. Paid 550 ringit (5500 Baht) and could collect the next day.

Hope this helps and best of luck
Shane
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

I can confirm Takiab's post by own experiences.
The only difference...in KL they didn't want to see my house registration, but a bank-statement about my accounts in TH.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

How long ago were you both in Penang trying to get a multi-entry Non O, as I've heard that they are being issued again there? This is fairly recent, maybe over the past 3-4 months, but they're asking to see 200K in a Thai bank account. I'd be interested in that as mine runs out Sept 21st, although I'll go to Ranong again to get the "bonus" 90 day entry to cover me until just before Xmas.
Imm here in HH are telling me to wait until next August when I reach 50 and then apply for a retirement extension, so I need to cover the time between mid Dec until then. I'd intended going down to Penang 3 times for single-entry Non Os, but if I can get a multi-entry, it'll save a lot of travelling. I'll contact some visa agents down there before I go. If I only end up with a single entry, it's not the end of the world.